Official announcement: Hot off the presses. Next Civ game in development!!!!!!!

I think that the fixes included in the leader pass have been very important. My game used to crash very often and many players experienced the same thing. Super frustrating. I often would compliment the game designers and what I learned about the game’s architecture from poking through the modding forms and some experimentation left me feeling impressed, but I was angry when dealing with frequent crashing.. Like other players experiencing these bugs, I was unhappy that the game could suffer from fatal errors so often. It was smart and maybe necessary to address those errors before an announcement of a new iteration. I think they have smart leadership if they intentionally corrected the game prior to an announcement. I also think those that designed the game systems did a great job. They have very talented designers and programmers and the company as a whole makes great games.

A bit of history for everyone:

Civ 3: Released in October 2001
Civ 4: 4 years after Civ 3 [Oct 2005]
Civ 5: 5 years after Civ 4 [Sep 2010]
Civ 6: 6 Years after Civ 5 [Oct 2016]

...OCTOBER 2023: 7 years after Civ 6

Just saying...

Do we also remember the promotional cycle for Civ VI? I don't exactly know when they start releasing screenshots, videos, etc., but I think it was about 6 months before.

I hear you, but I personally hope they don't hamstring the game by developing it to be optimized for weak and old hardware.

I'm not saying it needs raytracing, but it'd be nice if the game better took advantage of modern clock speeds and core numbers for CPUs, and processing power for GPUs. Imagine a Civ where huge map sizes don't lead to long turn times...

Yes. That's why I hope the PS5 conversion. I think PS5 is modern enough for a Civ7 with technical ambition. For some reason, I have a feeling that the game will have a technical gap with Civ5/6. (that both run smoothly on my 2010 computer, but come on, I still run Win7 :lol: ) If Switch and mobiles (?) version prooved majorly successful (which was intended since the start of 6 development), they sure will hit for a Switch 2 conversion. (or a Switch 1 conversion... :faint: )

Do we also remember the promotional cycle for Civ VI? I don't exactly know when they start releasing screenshots, videos, etc., but I think it was about 6 months before.
The official announcement to release was approximately 5 1/2 months. May 11th to October 21st. Posted about the initial vids/announcements earlier in this thread:
Shortly after the official announcement FXS began releasing First Looks of the Civs and Wonder Movies on a weekly schedule, sprinkling in the occasion livestream. The week preceding release they uploaded several How-To videos as well.

Um, you do though. Like, that's half of what you do in a culture victory. And, honestly, I like looking at map and zooming in at the details, to see all of the intricacies of the wonders, units, and districts in the game, especially if I do something like an industrial zone complex. It makes the more enjoyable and immersive. And, again, its a nice, pleasant experience to look at nice, pleasant things.

View attachment 654256
Not the most zoomed in picture, but all of the details on the seaside resorts and water park make the game better, not the opposite.
You just don't understand me.
In a culture victory you don't really beautify the landscape, just choose buildings and improvements that give the best bonus. OTOH in Cities Skylines you literally spend hours with designing a single intersection to make not only functional but also aesthetically appealing and give a realistic look.
I also like to stop sometimes in Civ4 and just look around on the map. And I also enjoy the early game discovering the world and scouting around. Yeah, that's cool too. But most of the time is spent far from the tiny details.
If you wanted to prove with your screen shot how beautiful Civ6 is, than.. well... Sorry, but that's a really ugly pic :lol:
It's ugly because it's repetitive: only the same buildings without variations. In this sense a Civ3 screen shot can be much more beautiful if it looks more real. I don't mean that Civ6 is ugly in general, just this wasn't the best example of beauty :)
To summarize: all these extra graphical details don't make civ games that much more beautiful. The amount of 'more beautiful' does not relate to how much 'more hardware demanding' the game is. I would like if those extra hardware demands would go somewhere more meaningful: Better AI. Spherical maps. Multilevel maps to go to space and colonize other planets too, while still fighting World War 3 or 4 back on Earth.

ultimate , trust me bro
aA00q6g_460swp_webp.jpg

I am predicting that Civilization VII will drop around October-November of this year. Though that may just be wishful thinking on my part ;).

Yes. I consider myself primarily a narrative player, regardless of genre, and I enjoy 4X games for the emergent narrative.

So, who's looking forward to the first raytraced 4X game? :mischief: (I'm not. No need to set my computer on fire for Civ. :p )

Well, for civ5 and civ6 they did take pride in their home engine that was pushing on the latest graphic techs of the time IIRC, so you may have something here.

I'm playing VR games since the DK2, and I keep my PC updated to run them, so I'm not worried at what Firaxis may throw at it. I'm more concerned about the limitation of the PC version in prevision of a smartphone version, I still ponder if the downgrade of map size between the release in 2016 and 2017 was related to core changes for global optimizations.

For the people who wondered if it's Civ7, or another title (like BE2 or another Colonization): It got pointed out on Twitter that there are 7 exclamation marks in the Twitter announcement.
So... has to be Civ7, no :D?

Definitively CiVIlization 7, yes :o

I wouldn't mind a bit of simplicity. Domination or Spaceship victories only. That's how we did it in the Civ 1 days when we were 5 years old.
I doubt they will do that,i don't think it would be a good idea since it compresses the viable Playstyles a lot. Actually think there might be a wider path you can take to victory if anything(though not as extreme as something like HUMANKIND)

Somewhere in my heart (very far away from my brain :crazyeye:), part of me wishes that "hot off the presses" wasn't just referring to the news of a new Civ iteration* but the game itself.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Hot of the Presses

A game focused on religion and the Reformation. "We heard you don't like that aspect of Civ 6, so we made an entire title about it!" :p

If I understand correctly, Ed Beach will be the lead designer for next Civ, but I don't get what Heather Hazen does, is she more like a producer?

I think it would be tremendously fun if they could inject a bit of the resource/trading mechanics from the old Colonization game or something akin to the old Settlers games.

It obviously isn't happening but I think it would be a good and relevant addition.

Sid Meier's Civilization: Hot of the Presses

A game focused on religion and the Reformation. "We heard you don't like that aspect of Civ 6, so we made an entire title about it!" :p
Really? Religion is one of my favourite parts of the game, or it would be if there was greater emphasis on its vital historical role.

If I understand correctly, Ed Beach will be the lead designer for next Civ, but I don't get what Heather Hazen does, is she more like a producer?
Heather Hazen is the head of the entire Firaxis company now. She will oversee everything, not just Civ. Imagine the president of whatever company you work for.

It has not been stated that Ed Beach will be lead designer. I guess you could assume so because he is "franchise lead" but that was not mentioned anywhere.

So, my short-list of things I'd love to see in Civ VII would be:

1) Merge Barbarians and City-States into a single, third-party entity (Independent Peoples, Minor Civilizations, whatever you want to call them).

2) Bring back Civilization IV's "State Religion" Mechanic, in terms of its effects on Diplomacy and your internal politics (Social Policies).

2a) Introduce new religion mechanics to better represent inter and intra religious conflict better (Holy Wars, Sects, Heresies, Inquisitions & Schisms).

3) Bring back the Arts, Culture & Ideology focus of Civilization V: Brave New World.

4) Implement Humankind's Combat System.

5) Implement an Event System something like that of Humankind or Old World-or a hybrid of the two.

6) Fully integrate the Monopolies & Corporations Mode from NFP into the game.

7) Bring back the mechanics from Civilization IV that made Tall Empires competitive with Wide Empires.

So, my short-list of things I'd love to see in Civ VII would be:

1) Merge Barbarians and City-States into a single, third-party entity (Independent Peoples, Minor Civilizations, whatever you want to call them).

2) Bring back Civilization IV's "State Religion" Mechanic, in terms of its effects on Diplomacy and your internal politics (Social Policies).

2a) Introduce new religion mechanics to better represent inter and intra religious conflict better (Holy Wars, Sects, Heresies, Inquisitions & Schisms).

3) Bring back the Arts, Culture & Ideology focus of Civilization V: Brave New World.

4) Implement Humankind's Combat System.

5) Implement an Event System something like that of Humankind or Old World-or a hybrid of the two.

6) Fully integrate the Monopolies & Corporations Mode from NFP into the game.

7) Bring back the mechanics from Civilization IV that made Tall Empires competitive with Wide Empires.
*jots these ideas down except 4*

Top Bottom