Orbis 1.0 Bug Thread

Still having issues after driver update.

The text of the error is as follows:
"Failed to allocate video memory. Please try reducing your graphics settings.
File:\main\Civilization4\SDKs\Gamebryo2_0\CoreLibs\NiDX9Renderer\NiDX9SourceTextureData.cpp, Line:321"

This then causes a Visual C++ runtime error due to abnormal termination.

I would try reducing my graphics, if they hadn't been at their current settings for years without previous problems. It seems likely (to me, at least) that some sort of graphics bug has been introduced either in 1.0 or in patch a. However, if no one else is having problems like this, I'll have to assume the problem is with my system.

Either way, if some other people with XP could test for this, I would greatly appreciate it.

I'm getting the above error (exactly) after playing for a while and then trying to access the tech-tree or civilopedia, etc.

Also, I get the Memory Allocation Error whenever I try to load or start a new game after playing beyond the first turn of a game. It also comes up on the 3rd, and a couple times 4th, time after trying to start a new game (on map generation)(after exiting to menu before founding a city on the prior map). I've only had it happen once in the midst of a game (but that might be due to the above error killing my game before it has a chance to).

He hasn't been on since May 15th

Perhaps there has been a general consensus that w/Civ V coming out, why bother. =(

I found a rather annoying bug while playing with the High / Low option. After my first move from my initial Civ (the elves) to the Calibim, the Fog of War wouldn't go away so while I can see my own troops, I can't see where to go. Big bug with that feature!

The fire caused by the explosion of the pyrozombie can destroy a fort, is it normal ? (maybe because the forts were in a forest ?)

I downloaded the orbis soundtrack this morning from the "Welcome to Orbis" thread link. When I try to install or extract ( to any folder ) I get a message that an mp3 is corrupt about 30% in. I think it is one of the files under the "leaf" folder. I try to ignore but finds more corrupt files.

Good [instert appropiate for your time zone] CivFanatics!
I am back.
no more active team member for the mod?
I owe you all an apology. I underestimated my modding exhaustion from preparing Orbis 1.0. But also had a lot of real life work (oh, to be young and careless again ;) ), and I promised myself to not to visit The forums before I finish. Well, I finally did.
Perhaps there has been a general consensus that w/Civ V coming out, why bother. =(
That is yet another reason. I started (in my mind mostly) to design a new mod for Civ V. If it is as moddable as advertised :mischief:, I am going to move to it as soon as possible (and that means playing a few games first).
The mod is intended to be made from scratch, medieval/renaissance period centered (suprised?) and low-magic (but still fantasy). It will not be FfH modmod anymore (even ported on Civ V), but something of my own imagination. Think Palatinate civ...

So, I am not very motivated to expand Orbis 1. Nor do I think I will have the time or motivation to redesign magic system, instead I prefer to design a new one for Orbis 2.

But for now, I want to dust-off my modding skills and before moving on, fix as much bugs as am able to, plus implement some smaller ideas I had... Will see how it works.

For now, I will need some time to recall how to mod, plus catch up with bug reports & ideas. But i want to release a new patch in a week or two.

So, I hope you are ok with what I said. And sorry for disappearing without a word...

I owe you all an apology. I underestimated my modding exhaustion from preparing Orbis 1.0. But also had a lot of real life work (oh, to be young and careless again ;) ), and I promised myself to not to visit The forums before I finish. Well, I finally did.

I'm happy to see you again :)

Nor do I think I will have the time or motivation to redesign magic system, instead I prefer to design a new one for Orbis 2.

Well, you can steal new Wildmana magic system when it's done ;> Yours and Sephi's general idea seems to have a lot in common :)

Good [instert appropiate for your time zone] CivFanatics!
I am back.

That is yet another reason. I started (in my mind mostly) to design a new mod for Civ V. If it is as moddable as advertised :mischief:, I am going to move to it as soon as possible (and that means playing a few games first).
The mod is intended to be made from scratch, medieval/renaissance period centered (suprised?) and low-magic (but still fantasy). It will not be FfH modmod anymore (even ported on Civ V), but something of my own imagination. Think Palatinate civ...

So, I am not very motivated to expand Orbis 1. Nor do I think I will have the time or motivation to redesign magic system, instead I prefer to design a new one for Orbis 2.

But for now, I want to dust-off my modding skills and before moving on, fix as much bugs as am able to, plus implement some smaller ideas I had... Will see how it works.

For now, I will need some time to recall how to mod, plus catch up with bug reports & ideas. But i want to release a new patch in a week or two.

So, I hope you are ok with what I said. And sorry for disappearing without a word...

You'd be more than welcome to take part in the mod the RifE team has planned... But it's not medieval era, so somehow I doubt you would. :lol:

Interested to see what you come up with. ;)

I'm happy to see you again :)

Well, you can steal new Wildmana magic system when it's done ;> Yours and Sephi's general idea seems to have a lot in common :)

You mean the system that is (in it's general mechanics, at least... Never would I make summons buildable. Defeats the purpose of having summons) near word-for-word the idea that I posted several days before Sephi announced it? :p

You mean the system that is (in it's general mechanics, at least... Never would I make summons buildable. Defeats the purpose of having summons) near word-for-word the idea that I posted several days before Sephi announced it? :p

Possible, I must have missed it :) By general idea I meant less schools (3 vs 21+ ?) with more spells and making mages more versatile. New mana system while fun, isn't that important ;>

Possible, I must have missed it :) By general idea I meant less schools (3 vs 21+ ?) with more spells and making mages more versatile. New mana system while fun, isn't that important ;>

Big difference between a Spell School and a Spell Sphere. There are only 4 schools in FfH. :p

Personally, that's one part of his system that I don't care for; I'm all for moving away from a strict "Each sphere has three spells" limit, but I don't like the way everything was reorganized. Moving the focus from Spheres to Schools is all fine and good, but the spheres are ordered as they are for lore-reasons... I don't like removing that. So my own version would have the standard 4 schools, :lol:

Also, the mana system IMO is extremely important. By granting spells a mana cost (or willpower cost for summons... Which is what I'd have. ;)), you are better able to balance them. For example, allow mages to 'channel' X mana / turn, however many spells that may be. This allows you to cast either one high powered spell... or multiple weak spells. Keeps the weaker ones useful even into late game.

Although I may be giving too much away there? :p

I'm playing Calabim and Vampires are appearing as a red blob.

Never mind, red blobs went away.

Big difference between a Spell School and a Spell Sphere. There are only 4 schools in FfH. :p

In theory, yes. But it doesn't make a difference in FfH. Taking Death(Necromancy) spell doesn't block your ability to take Sun (Divination) spell. You don't even need Divination to cast Sun I/II/III spell, all you need is to conquer Sun node someone else build. Schools are flavor-only thing, not affecting gameplay too much right now.

Personally, that's one part of his system that I don't care for; I'm all for moving away from a strict "Each sphere has three spells" limit, but I don't like the way everything was reorganized. Moving the focus from Spheres to Schools is all fine and good, but the spheres are ordered as they are for lore-reasons... I don't like removing that. So my own version would have the standard 4 schools, :lol:

It's matter of personal preference ;) Light/Elemental/Dark is clearer organization than Alternation/Divination/Elementalism/Necromancy for me. Elementalism and Necromancy are Elemental/Dark magic, so just Light magic is missing here.

Also, the mana system IMO is extremely important. By granting spells a mana cost (or willpower cost for summons... Which is what I'd have. ;)), you are better able to balance them. For example, allow mages to 'channel' X mana / turn, however many spells that may be. This allows you to cast either one high powered spell... or multiple weak spells. Keeps the weaker ones useful even into late game.

It's important, right, but you can achieve this effect without mana, just allow spellcasters cast one spelllevel per caster level (so archmages can cast 3 lvl 1, lvl 2 and lvl 1 or lvl 3 spell each turn). You can even create sustainable spells this way, with spellcaster losing ability with each spell sustained. But you're right - mana system is much more elegant and scalable way to do it. Only question is how much work you want to put into it.

Although I may be giving too much away there? :p

Possibly ;) And we're not discussing Orbis bugs actually, are we ? ;>

In theory, yes. But it doesn't make a difference in FfH. Taking Death(Necromancy) spell doesn't block your ability to take Sun (Divination) spell. You don't even need Divination to cast Sun I/II/III spell, all you need is to conquer Sun node someone else build. Schools are flavor-only thing, not affecting gameplay too much right now.

My point is that it COULD. I'd far rather move spellsphere promotions to actual spell promotions (Example: Rather than Fire2, Fireball), and remove the strict 3/sphere limitations.

Were I to do it, and I'm not saying I would, I'd preserve the four Schools, and have a range of spells available to each school. Mages specialize in one, can take promotions from two others, with the opposite School from the specialization being blocked. Spell promotions would require certain specific manas, but they may also require multiple mana types; It's done on a school level rather than sphere level.

It's matter of personal preference ;) Light/Elemental/Dark is clearer organization than Alternation/Divination/Elementalism/Necromancy for me. Elementalism and Necromancy are Elemental/Dark magic, so just Light magic is missing here.

It being clearer is arguable (I'm more comfortable with the 4, personally), but changing them that drastically removes aspects of the lore. Too big a change for me, basically.

I also like having four.... Good, Lawful, Chaotic, Evil. ;)

It's important, right, but you can achieve this effect without mana, just allow spellcasters cast one spelllevel per caster level (so archmages can cast 3 lvl 1, lvl 2 and lvl 1 or lvl 3 spell each turn). You can even create sustainable spells this way, with spellcaster losing ability with each spell sustained. But you're right - mana system is much more elegant and scalable way to do it. Only question is how much work you want to put into it.

That's true, but with a mana cost you could even have an expensive spell early on that takes multiple turns to cast (can't channel enough mana in one turn), but later on is a single turn cast, as the mage gains more capability. If I were to redo the magic system, mana is pretty much a given.

Possibly ;) And we're not discussing Orbis bugs actually, are we ? ;>

:mischief:

The mod is intended to be made from scratch, medieval/renaissance period centered (suprised?) and low-magic (but still fantasy).

... instead I prefer to design a new one for Orbis 2.

"Orbis 2" is what it'll be called? I'll want to watch for it.

When I manage to upgrade a Dao elder elemental into a monstrous elemental, whenever I try to attack with it, there's a good chance that the game would CtD. Do you know what may have caused this?

Hi,
I am playing Orbis for few days. I've been playing FfH and FF+ some time before, but Orbis is exacly what I need.
Bug:
When I use Lokis ability to create puppet outside my borders, those units cost maintance even when they disapear. I've got 13 non-existing outside borders units and I can't get rid of them.

Now I'm avoiding any summoning spells, but it is no fun :(

Another thing is some pink squares (i.e. create puppet), but I think it could be my bad instalation fault.

Great modmod anyway :)

I'm pleased to see you again, Ahwaric !
About the current patch :

Real bugs :
- Civs begin with 2 techs.
- No more "End of Winter" option.

Little bugs :
- Graphic bugs on units... again ^^
- When you leave the republic doctrine you keep the benefit trait.
- The malus of the charriots in forest don't work.

Suggestions :
- The trebuchet reimplace the catapult for Palatinates, but they keep the canoon, which is less interesting than the tebuchet (comparaison between cost/advantages). I proposed a "bombard" for them to reimplace the canoon.
- The animal lairs have too disaster effects with exploration, they are not dongeon, so I think they should have just litte effects (for example, no big boss...).
- Ordo Machinarum (and the Gift ?) as a true religion, please...
- Tree invocation and forest defender in jungles, for the Tlacals with the Leaves.
- Cumulative effect of the Pillar of chains and the governor's manor. It is powerfull, yes, but it is the only reason for Calabims to build it.

I'm Flauros and when Kandros give me his second city I found a dwarven vault (aboundant) in it, which stay the turn after. Maybe it is due to the Stasis spell ?

Top Bottom