Orbis Bug Thread (Old)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although what Dominicius said wasn't appropriate, please don't answer with insults ;)

Sorry. you are right Opera. Dominicius, in my opinion you sound ungrateful but i have no knowledge of the maritial status of your parents when you were conceived so i apologise for calling you a bstard. ;)

Maybe I should assimilate FF generals :confused:

thats actually second spot of my "wishlist" - first spot being assimilating or even outdoing maxastros new spells from RLD modmod, since i think arcane magic is lacking not only in base FFH but also in Orbis and FF+ (even more so lacking, since both mods add alot to other kinds of units be it via equipment, knightly orders, commanders, new spells for priests etc. etc. but do little/nothing for the arcane )
;)

..but thats just a wishlist - its your mod and i look forward to future versions whatever you do, there have been so many cool ideas already to improve on base FFH i m sure there will be many more so keep rocking :king:

Doing something for free is not an excuse. The internet is full of free stuff be it art, software or videos. All these things will either receive praise, be ignored or be criticized.

Do you know why people submit these things? Because they want the praise. And I have praised Orbis a lot in other threads but here I gave blunt criticism on the current state of affairs and people were offended.

I want and need a reason to keep praising Orbis. Being forced to abandon two games in row because of bugs does not give me this reason.

Doing something for free is not an excuse. The internet is full of free stuff be it art, software or videos. All these things will either receive praise, be ignored or be criticized.

Do you know why people submit these things? Because they want the praise. And I have praised Orbis a lot in other threads but here I gave blunt criticism on the current state of affairs and people were offended.

I want and need a reason to keep praising Orbis. Being forced to abandon two games in row because of bugs does not give me this reason.

CRITICISM is perfectly acceptable, so long as it remains constructive. Crying and moaning about it not being perfect, however, is NOT.

What the hell is up with the number of bugs Ahwaric? The lack of polish in this version is ridiculous. I don't know if this has something to do with the changes to standard FfH but this is just bad.

This crap is completely and totally unnecessary. If you feel the new version is buggy, say so, but do it in a way that does NOT come across as an insult. Had you simply said:
"Why is it so buggy Ahwaric? The new version doesn't have the kind of polish I've come to associate with Orbis."
I highly doubt anyone would have criticized you for that.

i get a CTD as soon as i hit the end turn button :(

EDIT: oh yea and the infernals dident spawn when i reserached that second tech in the veil religion. or maybe i just dident get the message that he spawned. but im pretty sure he dident.

Attachments

• Turn_0209.CivBeyondSwordSave
    918.3 KB · Views: 56
Orbis Patch J

Amurites (me) built a great sage - and then the whole interface got ripped away (I tried CTRL-I to restore the interface. Exited, reloaded, no dice. Reinstalled patch, reloaded, no dice.

Attachments

• Laptop Turn_0172.CivBeyondSwordSave
    265.9 KB · Views: 55
hmmm. i went to old saves of mine on that game and it CTD when i hit the end turn button. i do remeber that my computer frozen when i had civilization minimized and i had to do a hard crash. and now i have a CTD every time i hit the end turn button. i think this may be connected. any solutions?

do you get a CTD when you hit the end turn button?

and i found more bugs

- i see no gorillas spawned. do they have a lair?
- i cant caputure spiders when i have the animal suber trait
- when i have the animal subduer trait i cant capture nor get the bonus of 20% when attacking trolls. but i do get the 50% bonus of attacking animals that come with the scout.

is there a way to destroy troll lairs. i have to place units on them so the annoying buggers wont spawn anymore. its quite annoying. and since there on swamp i have to wait a while before i can build on them.

im gonna try upping the initail difficulty of my game. and start a new one. well see if i still get the CTD's

- i see no gorillas spawned. do they have a lair?
- i cant caputure spiders when i have the animal suber trait
- when i have the animal subduer trait i cant capture nor get the bonus of 20% when attacking trolls. but i do get the 50% bonus of attacking animals that come with the scout.

is there a way to destroy troll lairs. i have to place units on them so the annoying buggers wont spawn anymore. its quite annoying. and since there on swamp i have to wait a while before i can build on them.

- Gorillas has always been the rarest animal unit, and are quickly killed off by the AI as well. You might simply have been unlucky.
- Spiders are not tagged as an Animal unit, but a Beast unit. You need the Subdue Beast promotion to capture them.
- Trolls are no longer tagged as Beast unit and are instead Barbarian Melee units. Sounds like the +50% bonus for the Scout is a bug.
- The only way to destroy troll lairs is by researching Construction. This allows your workers to drain the swamp, which also destroys the lair. If you feel that the feature is annoying you could use a map script that doesn't spawn the feature, like PerfectWorld2.

ok, time for some responses.

@Dominicius
Too much have been said already.
Anyway, I try my best. But every time a new feature is added, there is a chance for bugs. And bugs persist until someone finds them and someone comes with a fix. Think about it. FfH is in feature lock phase for quite a long time and there are still bugs being fixed.
I am not progammer, but biologist that likes to change his favourite game. Please be aware of it.
Besides, what Valkrionn said.

Now to the bugs.

I checked all posted saves with crashes. I guess it is the same crash that is there for a long time. I still can't find the source - debugging points me to parts of the code (special damage types introduced by FfH) I did not even touch, nor build anything on these. But trust me, I would really like to fix it. Just do not know how - so if anyone has any idea, let me know.

Hyborem not spawning - it happens if there are no valid cities to spawn in. I will add some more possibilities to fix it.
Spiders, griffons and trolls are beast units, so you need subdue beast promotion to capture them.
As Wauthan said, gorillas are rare and get killed by the AI. And yes, they have gorilla shack lair. Griffon spawning needs fixing. But it is not easy to get the right amount - they either spawn too late (thus not at all) or too early and are exploration nightmare .

Trolls are special case in several aspects. They are Beasts, so can be capture with capture beast and recon units get bonuses against them. Also, they are not marked as animals so subdue promotions do not get onus for fighting them. But they are barbarians, and have hidden nationality. So will attack almost everything.
Troll lairs are part of swamp/wetland. It is designed as a mixed blessing. You get nice terrain, but it is crappy before you drain it, and also may be dangerous. I want them to be so even if inside player borders, and for that I need improvement (as barbarians stop to spawn in claimed territory). Construction is the way to go if you really want to get rid of them - then it is easy.
Also, parking a unit on top of the lair will not work I think. Spawning barbarian will just push guardian to a different tile.

Spawning on peaks -I was trying to find that part of the code when I decided I really have to release patch J for compatibility and fixing other bugs. They can spawn there but once they leave, can't enter again. So it is not that serious.

on completion of a monument with the Risen Emperor roughly a million or so instances of this pop up (I had to bail out of the game since there was no way to wade through the exception popups :mischief:)

Traceback (most recent call last):

File "CvScreensInterface", line 758, in forceScreenRedraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 979, in redraw

File "CvMainInterface", line 1122, in updateMiscButtons

File "CvMainInterface", line 2347, in updateGreatPersonBar

File "GPUtil", line 188, in getGreatPeopleText

File "GPUtil", line 151, in calcPercentages

IndexError: list index out of range
ERR: Python function forceScreenRedraw failed, module CvScreensInterface

Pheew... This thread is getting a bit hard to navigate. I'm sure this has been reported already so my apologies in advance for any double report. Using PerfectWorld2 mapscript:

Bugs
  1. When your side spawns a great person part of the UI goes blank, the unit control panel. But it resets at the start of the next turn so it's a minor issue (especially since you can easily see when a GP is about to spawn).
  2. Erratic mountain climbing behavior from Barbarian and Animal units. Hard to replicate but it seems some Lizardmen units can cross mountains (in a very roundabout fashion, it's like the pathfinding goes nuts) and sometimes animal units spawn on top of mountains (less of an issue since they simply move down to proper terrain, and don't regain the ability).

Gameplay
  1. Suspicious lack of CTDs. I have in fact had none so far. Not even when I tried to induce them by exploring lairs with stacks of units (usually a good recipe for disaster) or spawning Hyborem in massive deserts. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, since Fall Further (Plus) crashes as expected. :p
  2. Uncomfortably smooth AI turns. I don't know what you did but I can now play on Huge maps without having to wait very long between turns. Heck, Orbis is now *faster* then basic FFH. I have no idea how that's even possible.
  3. AI seems to have improved it's defenses, and will occasionally even move defenders into more logical positions. The offense is still the usual "millstone" approach.

Balance
  1. Kudos for the nerfs on Yurts and Coven Civic. Cottages are now a better investment for hammers then Quarries though. I'll now do a complete flip from my usual approach and ask for boosts;
  2. +1 Hammer for Quarries and Mines with Construction tech.
  3. Restore the bonuses to the Fort line improvements (possibly improved by both Aristocracy (+ commerce) and Vassalage (+ Hammers) and technologies (+ 1 of each at sensible pacing). And then please put back 1 tile space between forts if possible. I'll gladly admit that I was wrong to push for a nerf now that the AI seems to actively build and hunt down forts. Possibly due to the presence of the Commander unit. With the strategical importance of "fortifying" areas to spread your culture to remote regions you also need a bit more tactical insensitive to keep them close to cities. If possible could a Fort grant the resource it's built on?
  4. Aduars are not worth the investement. One more +1 (food?) from a lategame technology would fix the issue. Or a boost from the Agriculture civic?
  5. Trolls feel pointless. Simply a version of a Barbarian Axeman. Revise concept? Perhaps instead Trolls serve better as obstacles then as standard aggressors? Greatly improve strength plus health regeneration and make them guard valuable resources (possibly a new resource; see below). Make them immobile unless captured (or when spawned by events/dungeon search result). Or perhaps they get the "Invisible" when standing on bridges?
  6. Siege Units and Mages feel a bit underpowered and fragile. Could you possibly add two new resources that improves these units? Iron Oak (may be spawned by forester) adds -1 Food +3 Hammers to tile with Lumbermill improvement. Shards of Ereb - A rare cystal resource that spawns on desert hills, or spawned with Volcano Event (which needs to be rarer BTW). Adds +10 Commerce on tile with quarry improvement. Iron Oak adds +2 defensive strength to Siege Weapons and adds +1 First strike (to symbolize the added durability). Shards of Ereb adds +1 strength to Mage units as well as +20% Strength (good both early and late game).
  7. Also, Duskwood should be harvested by Lumbermills instead of Foresters. The Forester improvement might perhaps be changed to a low yield improvement that have a higher chance of spawning forest resources?
  8. Duskwood and Iron Oak also improve Ships? Perhaps one could balance out the greater strength of ships by forcing the player to sacrifice the resource in order to add it to his fleet? Chop the resource down to spawn Duskwood/Iron Oak Supply Wagon. Move to town and sacrifice to add Duskwood/Iron Oak Wharf?
  9. Bank of Vivaldi guild should consume pearls. Pearls are now so frequent that they are hard to trade which sort of turns the original, lanun only, concept on it's head.
  10. Patrician Artefacts should be available for all with the Education technology.
  11. Ranged attacks granting huge amounts of XP is strangely enough not much a problem. Archers doesn't dominate nor do AI ships control the oceans.
  12. Should mages be given ranged attacks? Possibly "bought" with a promotion? Can a ranged attack be set to a type (lightning, poison, fire?).
  13. Animal unit special promotion "One with the land" - Ignores terrain defense bonus when attacking. Requires level 6.

Does the monument grant a non-standard GP? If so, it'll cause issues with the bar exactly like that. ;)
:dunno: is a Bard spot non-standard? I could work around this by disabling the city governor the turn before it completed the monument - so I guess since the city hasn't had a border pop that it tries to allocate the bard upon completion and something doesn't work - when I do this manually once my turn comes up though it works fine Edit: actually I couldn't work around this - right now I cannot assign merchants or bards with python exceptions enabled :dunno: and disabling the exception popups destroys the interface that turn and it only reappears next turn :crazyeye:

right now I cannot assign merchants or bards with python exceptions enabled :dunno: and disabling the exception popups destroys the interface that turn and it only reappears next turn :crazyeye:
I could not reproduce your problems - but I have an idea why. Use the attached file (goes to python/Utils folder - just replace the old one). It fixes great people bar, so it might fix your problems as well. I hope so...

@ Wauthan
Thanks for the feedback. There are crashes, happened to me as well :(
I will think of implementing some of the suggestions.

Also, what you have written confirms my opinion - whenever I boost/nerf anything, someone says that the improvement that used to be uber now needs boosting ;)

Not sure if any of the changes will come with the next patch - I want it quick, tonight or tomorrow. Bugfixes mostly.

Attachments

• GPUtil.zip
    2 KB · Views: 58
I could not reproduce your problems - but I have an idea why. Use the attached file (goes to python/Utils folder - just replace the old one). It fixes great people bar, so it might fix your problems as well. I hope so...

@ Wauthan
Thanks for the feedback. There are crashes, happened to me as well :(
I will think of implementing some of the suggestions.

Also, what you have written confirms my opinion - whenever I boost/nerf anything, someone says that the improvement that used to be uber now needs boosting ;)

Not sure if any of the changes will come with the next patch - I want it quick, tonight or tomorrow. Bugfixes mostly.

fixed it :thanx:

thats quick customer service that is ;)

You're killing me, y'know? :lol:
:wipes blood from his sabre:
Sorry...

But that is not hard to update to, honest. Tiny bits of code, only some files.

fixed it :thanx:

thats quick customer service that is ;)
Great :)

Had it fixed yesterday, so just had to pack and send...

Sure, I just felt like a joke was appropriate. I just finished merging your last patch (yesterday actually) and now another one is coming at me! But don't be sorry, I'm a good ranger, I already put some traps along the way; this patch won't last long! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom