OT: Dude, it's method acting!

ejday

King
I'm certainly not one to point fingers or make moral judgments, but I'll admit a certain glee when I saw this blurb...
Posted by Reuters
'Dell Dude' Arrested for Marijuana in NY
Mon February 10, 2003 03:11 PM ET
NEW YORK (Reuters) - Actor Benjamin Curtis, the Dell Computer Corp. pitchman "Steven" who says on television, "Dude, yer gettin' a Dell," was arrested for possessing marijuana in New York, officials said on Monday.

Curtis, 22, was charged with criminal possession of marijuana, a misdemeanor that carries a prison sentence of up to three months if he is convicted, a spokesman for the Manhattan district attorney's office said.

Curtis, who lives in New York and was arrested on Sunday night, was scheduled to appear in Manhattan Criminal Court later on Monday.

A spokesman for the Round Rock, Texas-based Dell said he was not familiar with the details and declined to speculate on future plans for the advertising campaign.

"We're following the situation closely and working with our ad agency to understand what's transpired here," spokesman Venancio Figueroa said. The ad agency is DDB of Chicago.

Dell, the No. 2 personal computer company, makes most of its money selling to businesses and schools. It began the TV and print commercials featuring the wise-cracking "Steven" three years ago.
In retrospect, though, I think it takes something far worse than a little homegrown to inspire one to buy a "Dell."

I think , if we bothered, we could have seen this one coming. :rolleyes: Funny thing, he attended the school where I teach. He graduated a couple years before I arrived.

Originally posted by Trabpukcip
Ok... what the H... is wrong here? The guy smoke pot. Big deal!
I hear they're pretty relaxed about that in Montreal, but in the U.S. it's a federal no-no. No moral judgments in the equation, Trabpukcip, it's that he broke the rules and got busted for it (buying a bag on the Lower East Side).

Now, whether or not it should be illegal is another question. Myself, I say no - prohibiting it doesn't work, and if people want to f*** themselves up then that's their problem. Other people don't (IMO) have the right to tell them they can't if that's what they choose to do. Even if what they choose to do is that stupid - it's their own brain they're killing off and it's not hurting anyone else.

Now, pot (and other such drugs) should certainly be regulated, not available to minors, etc. Treat it like alcohol, is what I suggest.

Originally posted by Beamup

Now, pot (and other such drugs) should certainly be regulated, not available to minors, etc. Treat it like alcohol, is what I suggest.

I agree! Not that I'd rush out and purchase some, more like casually stride. ;) If alcohol is legal, marijuana should be legal. I've never heard of or seen a person rage while high.[pimp] Of course, the major obstacle is the pharmaceutical companies. Churches would definitely oppose it, but I don't if that would be enough to stop it on its own.

Which brings things full circle, back to Civ3, and the need to have a cannibus (sp?) luxury source in the game. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ejday

I hear they're pretty relaxed about that in Montreal, but in the U.S. it's a federal no-no. No moral judgments in the equation, Trabpukcip, it's that he broke the rules and got busted for it (buying a bag on the Lower East Side).

Yeah we are quite relax about it... (exept police officer...) Montreal could be considered IMHO america's cannabis capital... and the internationnal one if we forget about amsterdam...

Originally posted by dojoboy

Which brings things full circle, back to Civ3, and the need to have a cannibus (sp?) luxury source in the game.

good idea... one the editor could fit very well!

Top Bottom