1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Paradox Interactive games

Discussion in 'All Other Games' started by Maniacal, Aug 4, 2006.

1. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Yup, although they still have the same blanket modifier for being in the Americas for immigrant attraction. I'd rather they increased the North American modifier a little more and decreased the South American one.

Restricting emigration...was that actually done in this time period? The Russians definitely prevented their people from moving around, but that was because they were serfs, which also aren't properly represented in the game (should be closer to slaves than farmers, in my opinion). And slaves don't emigrate.

2. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

Slaves do emigrate. Just not voluntarily. ;) And the mass migration of indentured labour between colonial possessions is well documented.

Russia restricted emigration even after the abolition of serfdom and further restrictions were imposed under Bolshevik rule, when you needed an internal passport just to travel outside your area. Qing China also restricted internal and external migration. And of course, there's Japan's infamous Sakoku policy.

Japan agreed to restrict emigration to the United States under American pressure in 1907.

3. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Well, of course. ;) But I mean, in the Vic II game mechanics, do slaves emigrate? I ask because I remember reading discussions on the Paradox forum indicating slave populations do not emigrate, nor do POPs demote to slaves. Don't remember which patch version it was, though.

Most of these policies could probably be represented with triggered effects via decisions, and we already have the immigrant attraction variable to work with. I'd bet PDM already has it modeled or has plans to address it.

4. Luckymoose

Luckymoose The World is Mine

Just bought HOI3 + Semper Fi on Steam. I'm having an issue in that the menu is basically non existent and only offers me four nation choices, tutorial or exit. What is this BS?

5. ArneHD

ArneHD Just a little bit mad

I think you can click any nation in the map and play as that nation.

6. Luckymoose

Their is no option to bring up a map, no option for game settings, singleplayer or multiplayer. I own other paradox games and this is not how it should look.

7. Kan' Sharuminar

Kan' Sharuminar Fluffy

Click the 'Custom Start' button.

8. Luckymoose

I found it by looking. It was tiny on my screen.

9. Antilogic

Antilogic --

That threw me the first time as well. Which nation did you pick?

10. Luckymoose

Brazil, traditional learn the mechanics game.

11. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Works pretty well for a learning game. I find the majors like the UK still too difficult to play because of the scattered OOB.

After a few small learning games, I've enjoyed my first major game as Italy--even though they have annoying binary divisions and tons of militia, you can upgrade/produce to fix those units by the time 1939 rolls around. Plus, you can just avoid conquering Addis Abeba until 1939 getting all that tasty wartime production.

I find I like big navies and ship engagements far too much for this game.

12. GamezRule

GamezRule Inconceivable!

I am currently in a Germany game on Semper Fi and I just got EU3 Chronicles and I am trying to learn the game with England.

13. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Try Japan, Australia or New Zealand then :D

14. Antilogic

Antilogic --

Played one as Japan, was not too impressed because the Americans lumped all their ships into one fleet that sat around in LA for over two years. Managed to take all of China, SE Asia, and the Pacific Islands. Then I got drug into a massive war with the Soviets because Germany just couldn't hit the Limited War button, but despite supply problems we beat the Union. Didn't feel like finishing off the Allies.

Overall, the naval game was unsatisfactory. The carriers are especially poorly modeled--why are the flight groups the same for the Japanese and American carriers? It'd be nice if there was a technology you could toggle to build an American, British, or Japanese style carrier (heavier American carriers could carry an extra CAG, some other adjustments to the hull size, speed, range, and sea defense would be necessary).

I suppose this could be said of several unit types in the game. But since I was a big PTO2 fan, the bad carrier modeling really hits home.

EDIT: I suppose I should also say that Australia and New Zealand have fleets that are way too small, plus you can't buy old ships off majors (the transfer of RN ships to the Dominions occurred often enough I think it should be a diplomatic option, source: On Seas Contested). Oddly enough, you can contract construction, of the most modern, up-to-date models in your own shipyards.

15. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Silly furry

HoI3 is crap. Play Darkest Hour.

16. mechaerik

mechaerik Tuturuu!

Even with SF and FTM? I hear those two improve it massively.

17. carmen510

carmen510 Deity

That still doesn't make up for a terrible map. I never really got into Hearts of Iron 3, because I got used to Hearts of Iron 2 and its more "simplified & streamlined" gameplay.

18. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

This guy speaks the truth.
    Neither of those fixes the map, while bringing the quality of their actual features only close to Darkest Hour's. And to get HoI3 + SF + FTM, you have to pay way more than you do for just DH.

19. Antilogic

Antilogic --

As much as I don't want to "downgrade" versions, I might have to get Darkest Hour (that's based on HoI2, right?).

EDIT: What I don't get is that Paradox can make a good world map for HoI3. The Victoria II map is beautiful; the landmasses are far closer to being right there than in HoI3. Even the upgraded EU3 world map is better than the HoI3 one, only they don't have enough provinces for the HoI3-style warfare.

20. Dachs

Dachs Hero of the Soviet Union

Ah, but Paradox didn't make the Victoria II map; it was a community mod for the first game that Paradox took over and tweaked. And then they imported the coastlines into EU3 for Divine Wind, while retaining the incredibly stupid EU3 borders.

King's already said that Paradox doesn't give a rat's ass about geography, unfortunately.