1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Patch v3.13 change list

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by alexman, Sep 13, 2007.

?

Worth the wait?

Poll closed Nov 12, 2007.
  1. Yes

89.9%
  2. No

6.7%
  3. What is BTS?

3.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bino

Bino Warlord

A quick question, should i put back the original dll file Solver released before applying the new patch?

2. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

It will be overwritten when you apply the new patch so it doesn't matter which file you have there.

3. Bino

Bino Warlord

Thank you for the info Roland! As soon as i'll be back from Ramses land i'll patch! :)

4. marioflag

marioflag History Addict

I agree about the fact that changes to modern naval units doesn't seem very well thought.
    Attack Submarine with 30 strenght become too much powerful considered they are invisible to most units, they have 50% withdrawal chance.
    Destroyer become a lot more useless considered they aren't anymore a counter to subs.Missile Cruisers are also a lot weakened by this change, we just have a modern naval warfare in which attack subs are just overpowered.
    The problem related to Destroyer and Stealth Destroyer is not also fixed.
    This solution doesn't seem really optimal, having Destroyers not obsolete with Attack Destroyers would have been probably a better solution.
    In any case i's a really good and huge patch.

5. UERD

UERD Chieftain

Wow, great changes! I just have a question: Dale posted a while back a list of changes 'he submitted'. Does that mean that the mods that weren't made in-house by Firaxis are also being patched by this patch?

6. MrCynical

MrCynical Deity

Yes, if any civ attempts to draft a unit when they have Rocketry but not assembly line under the current patches the game crashes. Since this can happen with the AI drafting it's behind quite a lot of confusing crash bugs.

The naval changes are going to cause some irritation, since the attack sub is now overpowered and lacks a counter unit. A far simpler fix would have been to remove the upgrade path from destroyer to stealth destroyer, or to fix the stealth destroyer AI.

7. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

So there's no gameplay changes to airships??

8. JFLNYC

JFLNYC Producer

IIRC AI will not spend as much on Espionage. But, are there any other changes I missed which will reduce Spy Spam? The relentless poisoning of water supplies? I mean, really, when was the last time you ever heard of a city's water supply being poisoned in real life. Yet it's a regular occurence in BtS.

9. KrikkitTwo

KrikkitTwo Immortal

the problem with the naval units now is that each unit is its own counter

The only counter to Attack subs is Attack Subs stacked with MC/Battle
    The only counter to Steath Destroyers is Stealth Destroyers stacked with MC/Battle
    The only Counter for Missile Cruisers/Battleships is MC/Battleships

It should be something like
    Battleship/MC>Destroyer/Stealth Destroyer>Attack Subs/Subs> Batt./MC

I'd say the Subs need a bonus v. 'Capital ships' = Battleships+MC +(Carrier)
    Then just make the Subs Weaker, and give Destroyers/Stealth Destroyers the Ability to see them. and give MC the Ability to see Stealth Destroyers (and restore Attack subs to original stats)

Option 2 would be
    Battle>Destroyers>Subs+Attack Subs>Batt.
    changes to
    MC>Subs+attack Subs>SD>MC

Give MC the ability to see subs(and Subs don't get bonus v. them.. or give thema a bonus v. Subs), but give Stealth Destroyers a bonus v. MC (and let Attack subs see Steath Destroyers)

Possibly give NO units the ability to see Stealth Destroyers, so they can only be defended against not attacked

as for the graphic idea, I think that is simply showing that the U-Boat has the same Strength as a Nuclear Sub so an upgrade is involved that doesn't cost any money.. once you get Missiles, the UBoats are replaced with the Missile carrying subs.

10. Virulent

Virulent King

I'm surprised this hasn't made the front page yet. Seems like big enough news to me.

11. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

I certainly hope this means Firaxis will get it to look & work like it does in the HOF mod. However I would have thought they would have used words like 'improved' or 'corrected' rather than 'removed' if that was the case.

12. Venger

Venger Give it a tumble, sport

Great change list, though airships are not addressed, and naval combat is all screwed up as others have noted. Still, overall, a fantastic list of changes that address alot of issues I've seen. Looks to be a job well done.

Venger

13. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Seems to hit most of the big issues, with only a few exceptions. If it corrects the long wait between turn after 1850AD I pleased! :D

(OT) Alexman, were you known as Alexfrog in another forum? Sorry had to ask.

JosEPh

14. DWOLF

DWOLF Death Before Dishonor

Maybe I missed it but will the the "Dead Units Coming Back to Life" graphix problem be fixed?

15. dutchking

dutchking Deity

^Oh yeah! I forgot about that one. My 3 paratroopers lined up, 2 of them die, and 2 more appear? :hmm:

16. Ghost Ranger

Ghost Ranger Prince

This should be put on the front page...

17. bonafide11

bonafide11 Worker

Disappointments:
    -Still no counter to airships until rocketry
    -Global Warming is still the worst part of the game
    -The useless corporations are still useless...

Others?

18. gunter

gunter King

I'm waiting this 3.13 to buy BTS but I'm confused about ships.

It seems that Fireaxians have deeply understimated the essential role of Navy but this patch seems to have done something about it,let's see how much.

Cause I'm a bit ******** Is there any gentle guy among you who can answer these few questions ? Thanks in advance

1 ) could you please summarize a bit the big picture of the Navy with 3.13 without going into complicated mathematic rules or scissor-rock-paper examples ?

2 ) are we still in time to suggest them a further fix or are we too late ?

3 ) can the Navy fight ( 100 % of damage capability ) against planes and viceversa ?

4 ) why a WW II era submarine is still absent ?

5 ) can subs sink everything swimming or is is still present a deep understimation of Navy above all the most lethal modern submarines ?

Thanks really a lot !

19. Sam_Yeager

Sam_Yeager Another Original Geezer

Not sure about the other questions. This existing patch has been finished so there won't be any further changes to it. Whether or not there will be a patch after this one is unknown.

20. mice

mice Moose

What More units ?? There are too many already iMO

The early game is so crucial. It seems we can expect a harder expansion period in the ancient era.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.