PieAncientEuropeV-Hellenic

Give me the Ptolemaic Kingdom!

You got it!

We played the scenario in a pitboss game some months ago (i am koningtiger pie_at). It was very fun, but you have to think not all sides are balanced, you should play the game with good behaviour and from a roleplay point of view.

I was Ptolemy, academia, good luck with your neighbours. :)

We played the scenario in a pitboss game some months ago (i am koningtiger pie_at). It was very fun, but you have to think not all sides are balanced, you should play the game with good behaviour and from a roleplay point of view.

I was Ptolemy, academia, good luck with your neighbours. :)

I agree. Clearly roleplaying is a crucial element of a scenario like this in which the Civs are unbalanced. I'd suggest going for the Civs with 1000+ points to guarantee that the differences are not too huge (though I did consider picking the Germanic tribes since they seem pretty fun to play). Even so, power differences do exist. The Ptolemaians and the Seleucids, for example, appear to be the strongest, ranking at the top in points and having the largest territories (and the Ptolemaians a vassal on top of that). On the other hand, they are at war with all the other Greek nations (including each other!). And unlike in player vs AI games, the other players will probably not sit around and watch a nation become too powerful, whichever it may be. And with so much war raging across the known world, shifts in power may come swiftly and relentlessly in any case.

I do have one question about the various Greek civs. They are all counted as Macedonians and, competing for dominance of the Hellenistic world, are at war with each other. Are they able to make peace and negotiate with each other like normal civs? Or is there some kind of always-war-thing going on between them?

One last thing, I strongly propose we play with Deity difficulty AIs. Assumably, we will pick nations which are among the strongest. At Deity, the smaller AI nations will at least be able to offer some kind of resistance and must be taken more seriously, both diplomatically and in war. And unless the newest version of the mod has seen a significant increase in AI capability, even powerful Deity AIs aren't an all too huge threat anyway.

I dont think there is always war enabled. New patch made things better for AI, things are pretty hard even on Emperor. Leading civs got most problems in this scenario...

Leading civs got most problems in this scenario...

It's good to hear that the AI is doing better. Nevertheless, while leading civs like the Seleucids may have problems with their neighbours, these will hardly stem from the 4-city Parthians. The Romans shouldn't have too many difficulties with the Illyrians (3 cities) and Carthage should be able to handle the Iberians (4 cities). This is regardless of difficulty. Yet if we switch the difficulty to deity (and/or the difficulty for the AIs to settler), it will likely make things more interesting by avoiding that the smaller nations simply get overrun in the first turns, and will add to the tension on the map. Furthermore, civs like the Germanics - fairly weak at start but with high potential - may eventually become a force to be reckoned with, instead of victims of a mop up operation.

I think i get a liking in pbems :)

I'll join, preferably as Germanics, or Britons else.

It's good to hear that the AI is doing better. Nevertheless, while leading civs like the Seleucids may have problems with their neighbours, these will hardly stem from the 4-city Parthians. The Romans shouldn't have too many difficulties with the Illyrians (3 cities) and Carthage should be able to handle the Iberians (4 cities). This is regardless of difficulty. Yet if we switch the difficulty to deity (and/or the difficulty for the AIs to settler), it will likely make things more interesting by avoiding that the smaller nations simply get overrun in the first turns, and will add to the tension on the map. Furthermore, civs like the Germanics - fairly weak at start but with high potential - may eventually become a force to be reckoned with, instead of victims of a mop up operation.

Trust me, with 5 6 ppl around overrunning AI will be your second priorities.

Not every person played on Deity here, some never played PAE at all. I suggest Emperor as something challenging enough. Well and lets wait for pie_at to say his word on the subject.

I'll take any civ you think will add to the fun..

I am going to have fun roleplaying anyway..

We are going to need human Rome and very very stressful human Seleucids to have Rise of Rome and War of Diodochi, not dogpile the biggest AI type of game. This was the reason I was holding my options open to the end. I was also thinking about Parthians since they helped to establish Arsacid dynasty in Armenia (in ADs). So you better make your move now.

@Everybody please finalize your choices, I really want to start some times this week.

I think i get a liking in pbems :)

I'll join, preferably as Germanics, or Britons else.

Though I'm a bit queasy about including a 6th player (the more players the longer the time between turns), a human Germanics player would be pretty awesome. You have to accept though that you will not be on par with the more developed nations at start. But as I said previously, they do have good potential.

The lineup I'd suggest is Romans, Ptolemaians, Carthage, Seleucids, Germanics, and as last either Pontus or Antigonids. I'd stay away from Parthia, Tigranes. Roleplaying or not, they do seem very weak and lacking potential, locked in the corner behind the much stronger Seleucids. But of course you can all do what you want. :)

Well, if I read correctly then Rome would be a good choice for me..
(but as said If you think otherwise simply give me an other civ)

The lineup I'd suggest is Romans, Ptolemaians, Carthage, Seleucids, Germanics, and as last either Pontus or Antigonids.

ok, this makes the decision easier. I am sure, Tigranes wants to take the Parthians, if not there are two possibilities for me:
A) I take Seleucids if you want to play Parthians, though I have 2 strong borders to defend, what could be hard for me ;)
B) I take the Antigonids, if you want to play the Seleucids

or C) Seleucids will be AI and you as Parthians and academia with Ptolemaics can split the big Seleucid empire. I would be Antigonids then. So everybody has an AI player as neighbour.

Ok. I really agree with Funky's line up. Antigonids got most Wonders and they have vassal, its only fair to reward Author with the sexiest civ :). Calanthian -- last call: Rome or Seleucids?

Ok. I really agree with Funky's line up. Antigonids got most Wonders and they have vassal, its only fair to reward Author with the sexiest civ :). Calanthian -- last call: Rome or Seleucids?

ok, fine ;) I've got the most wonders? ach, kids stuff. I just wanted to be away from you guys to have some time to bulk up my walls with sacred ranged troops! :D

oh, and I forgot to answer that:
The Creator Himself wants to join our game? Let the world know that salvation is near!
:goodjob:
I could imagine..... that you all will give me the salvation this time :crazyeye:

Ok great! All slots are filled. It is very conviniet that host (myself) will start first. Please read and digest house rules from post 2(updated). I will generate game tonight pending one little fix. pie_at mentioned some tiny hotfix which will be patched to the reuploaded Patch 2 AND/OR be available here for those who do not want to download Patch 2 again.

Please remember that we all have to have the identical files to play.

I'll try to summarize our choices up to now. Please correct me where I am wrong or add what I forgot.

Players
pie_at: Antigonids
Tigranes: Seleucids
Calanthian: Rome
academia: Ptolemaians
civ_addicted: Germanics (needs confirmation!)
Funky: Carthage

Settings
Difficulty: Emperor for players, noble for AIs(?)
Speed: Normal (or quick? Research seems to progress rather slowly)

House rules
No unit gifting
No city gifting/exchanging, unless as a result of a sincere war
No human vs human battles in the first turn
EDIT: See Tigranes' updated 2nd post in the thread for more details.

I'd like to suggest some further regulations. I don't want to sound too important (Tigranes is the boss of this game!), but with six players it is important that we commit to certain obligations in order to ensure a successful game.

- To keep the game going, please always play and post your turn as fast as possible.

- Check your emails and the forum regularly!

- If you can't play for a while, for example when you're on vacation, post it duly in the game thread. We can then decide how to progess. If the absence is longer than a few days, the player could choose another player to play his turns (and, if he wishes, inform him via PM about what he should do).

- Communication is key! If there are any problems or questions of whatever sort, post in the thread or ask another player.

That's all I can think of for now. :)

EDIT2: I PM'd civ_addicted, we should wait for him to confirm his participation in the game.

^^ Excellent post, except I don't see myself as a boss, of course. Just a humble servant who goes into more hassle than others to ensure that game starts and runs smoothly :)

One of the hassles is to create game on PBEM tracker when tracker refuses to create one displaying silly message "Got to creategame" :dunno: PM sent to methinkso, please stand by for a link and patch to Patch 2.

Posts 1 and 2 are updated.

civ_addicted sounded pretty definite preferring Germanics, or if not possible Britons. Germanics are possible :yep: He even starts with Merchant unlike us!

I tend to shy from Quick speeds when playing mods. Modders usually test things for normal speed, no one knows what quick game might do for us. Slow (normal) and steady we go.

I'm still on board :)

Top Bottom