Police Shoot Tool-wielding Assailant, Outrage Erupts

This is a silly myth. Killing/injuring a police dog does not carry the same penalties as killing/injuring a real human being. No such law equating a dogs life to that of a human being would stand up in any reasonable court room.

Right you are, as they don't seek the death penalty or life for police dogs. They do however still relate a police dog as a police officer and carry stricter punishments than if it were just a neighbors dog. Laws on this vary by state.

Right you are, as they don't seek the death penalty or life for police dogs. They do however still relate a police dog as a police officer and carry stricter punishments than if it were just a neighbors dog. Laws on this vary by state.

Rightfully so because I'd imagine that a good police dog is a pretty hefty investment at the expense of the tax payer's dime unlike some one's pet poodle. However if there is a state that officially recognizes police dogs as sworn LEOs, in any capacity, then that would be surprising. As far as I know the practice of giving K9s badges and rank is all sentimental and carries no legal weight whatsoever.

It would seem any law based on the consideration that a dog is somehow an law enforcement officer would be fairly legally unsound. For instance a dog has no concept of legal/constitutional rights, which is something I would hope is a prerequisite for being a police officer in all jurisdictions.

I don't think they give "real" police officer status to an officer who chases after cats and likes to lick his own b***s.

But then again, if he can fetch doughnuts, he's a shoe-in.

As for this incident, I had a thought - why not just install an automatic machine-gun outside shops and gun down any suspected criminals by remote control? That's got to be a lot cheaper than all those officers and dogs, for the same result.

Not a great day for the cops but cant really see they've done much worse than be very mediocre at there jobs.

The location of the site makes no difference. Whether this site is supposed to be rated PG-13 or under does.

The location of the site makes every difference. No where in western europe would showing the violent killing of a human be rated as less obscene than the caught on camera commentary. The US's PG13 rating criteria doesnt represent a universal moral code.

You gotta love Americans. A video where a man is killed and the reason it may be removed is because of "bad" language...

Anyway: I'd probably do the same thing as the police officer. But I wonder what would have happened in a country where the police was less aggressive and didn't carry guns. Perhaps he would have just thrown away the crowbar and run, in stead of trying to hit them.

Well these UK police did not need to use guns in a more dangerous situation.

From Sun with Video attached

THIS is the shocking moment a machete wielding man swung a two-foot knife at more than 30 police officers.
The video - captured by an eyewitness - shows a pot-bellied man lunging at the cops with the huge blade wildly in the air.

On several occasions he lurches forward to aim blows at police officers armed only with batons.

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/news/3588089/Machete-maniac-lunges-at-police-officers.html

Not worth the risk to the police officers, not worth the risk AT ALL. A weapon of that size, from a man of that size could easily inflict a fatal wound at numerous locations on the body, not just the head.

On the other hand, in the U.S. this guy "probably" would have been put down with either mace or a taser before he had the chance to take numerous swing attempts at any officers. Of course, they may shoot him as well, that was the old way of going about it before less than lethal options were created for the sole purpose of subduing while saving lives (on both ends).

Also, this guy in the US might not be as prone to swing a machete at a cop if they were pointing guns at him and ordering him to lower his weapon. Wielding a nice large blade, going against some guys with mere sticks doesn't seem like that big of a deal. Trying to rush people with firearms could only be explained as "Suicide by Cop".

On the surface, I don't think that there the police reacted over the top. The use of force was justified as the guy was about to attack.

And had one of those officers so much as tripped as they were backing away they could have taken a machete to the head. I seem to recall a few police shootings in the UK, so don't act like it never happens anywhere but the US.

Yes there are a few police shootings

From UK Independent Police Complaints Commission

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/en/Pages/reports_polcustody.aspx

In 2010/11, the following number of fatalities
occurred within each category:
• 26 road traffic fatalities;
• 2 fatal police shootings;
• 21 deaths in or following police custody;
• 46 apparent suicides following release from
custody; and
• 52 other deaths following police contact.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/Documents/deaths_report_2010_11.pdf

Please post the US figures so we can compare.

Added Note figures are for England and Wales only

Which is fine and dandy but since they were apparently unarmed what other options did they have?:confused: Anyone of those officers could have lost their head in an instant so I doubt this is somehow a safer/better tactic.

Which is fine and dandy but since they were apparently unarmed what other options did they have?:confused: Anyone of those officers could have lost their head in an instant so I doubt this is somehow a safer/better tactic.

Well most Police Officers die in Traffic Incidents.

Accordind to this list only one died in the UK last year as a result of intended actions by a criminal. Terrorist bombing in Northern Ireland.

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/index.php?page=roll-2011

How many police officers die in the US.

Well most Police Officers die in Traffic Incidents.

Accordind to this list only one died in the UK last year as a result of intended actions by a criminal. Terrorist bombing in Northern Ireland.

http://www.policememorial.org.uk/index.php?page=roll-2011

How many police officers die in the US.

Traffic accidents and US police fatalities have nothing to do with the question regarding the use of lethal force against an armed assailant. A machete/crowbar/axe, etc etc wielded in an offensive fashion is as dangerous in UK as it is in any other country so I'm not sure what your point is.

Traffic accidents and US police fatalities have nothing to do with the question regarding the use of lethal force against an armed assailant. A machete/crowbar/axe, etc etc wielded in an offensive fashion is as dangerous in UK as it is in any other country so I'm not sure what your point is.

Well not many UK police die at the hands of criminals even though they deal with criminals using knives etc . So not using lethal force as a standard method of response to some idiot with a machete/crowbar/axe does not result in police deaths.

Seeing as the cops attempted less-than-lethal before shooting him, I can't blame them. Looks like an awful situation all around.

The guys filming this are just bad people.

why?.

Just remember that this never wound have happened if they guy hadn't violently broken the law to begin with.

it also would never have happened if kennedy hadnt been assassinated, rome hadnt destroyed carthage and if the big bang never had happened.

what's the point?

The location of the site makes no difference. Whether this site is supposed to be rated PG-13 or under does.

:lol:
you do realize that "a pg-13 rating" is indend a label a us-american private organization sticks to things, do you?
pg-13 doesnt even exist in other countries.

what's the point?
The point is that it was the guy's own fault. He could have avoided being shot by putting down the weapon, or even better, not committing the crime.

Top Bottom