[NFP] Portugal is the last NFP Civilization confirmed. Also... Zombies??!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
he not that prominent of a king in Portuguese history compared to other monarchs?

John III started the Portuguese Inquisition in earnest. Like Charles V, John III was grandson to the the Catholic Monarchs, and his actions towards the Jews were not merely political but seem to have been informed by genuine devoutness.

Under John III, and in the context of the perceived dangers of reformation, the Portuguese Inquisition would take root and establish itself at the core of Portuguese society. This institution is seen in Portugal as the major contributing factor towards Portugal's backwardness by the 18th/19th centuries. The expulsion of the Jews, in particular, is often argued as an accelerant of that decline, due to the brain drain caused by it.

The decline of this institution wouldn't come until the Marquis of Pombal. Ironically, Pombal appointed his brother as Chief Inquisitor and used the office of the Inquisition to expropriate, persecute and expel the Jesuits from the country in 1759, a Christian order seen as too powerful within Portuguese society. The Lisbon Earthquake of 1755 facilitated this shift.

Sebastian was the last one of the Order o Avis, yes it ended, but in the last books I read, I realized that was not his fault, he ascended the throne at four years old, his mind was made and usurped since early years. And did you know that he actually returned (or it was a fraud)?
I learned about him through these videos. It appears his tutors instilled in him a sense of overzealousness and not enough of actually teaching him military strategy. :p

As for Lusitania, sure, just add some credits ;)
Of course. :D

I'll say it again: do one more mini-pass with Morocco/Berbers, Native North America, Assyria/Hittites, and Hatshepsut. Don't even bother with new features, just fix the features you've already added and maybe add a couple new generic military units for gap-filling.
juist add iroques and austria

While technically true, that usage is not typical in English. Similar to how Sumeria, Babylon, and Arabia are technically Asian civs, but colloquially "Asian" in English, without further qualification, means East Asian.
One could easily consider Arabia as an African civ in this iteration, considering it's capital is Cairo. :mischief:

I get what you are saying, but to be fair, after incidents with Pueblo and the Cree, it is understandable why the devs want to steer clear from unwanted controversies. I guess the safe choice would be to bring back Iroquois or Shoshone, but considering how diverse different First Nations are, most of us want something new, which again risks the fact that they do not want to be included or represented.
I would truly consider the Cree to be the "token" if all 50 civs were planned and released at the same time, which they might be thinking "ok, we have 1 for that region, and that is enough." The civs as we all know are not planned and released all at once. The controversies of the Cree could have played a part in considering on whether or not more Native American civs are coming, which in this case they may think it is not worth all the drama.
I'd agree with you that I think bringing back the Iroquois or the Shoshone/Sioux would be the safe choice but I'd rather them do that then not add any more at all.
It might have not been originally planned for the Cree to be the only native civ in North America, but it seems to be the case and by default that does make it the "token" civ as a result.

I'll say it again: do one more mini-pass with Morocco/Berbers, Native North America, Assyria/Hittites, and Hatshepsut. Don't even bother with new features, just fix the features you've already added and maybe add a couple new generic military units for gap-filling.
You're missing the obligatory European civ, Italy please :mischief:, but otherwise yes.

Why don't they just release Genoa? They got that planned even from the vanilla version. I'm really curious to know what happened to Genoa.
On that note Haida was also kind of planned for R&F too, though they went with the Cree instead. What are the chances that they end up giving the both of them to us for free? :mischief:

On that note Haida was also kind of planned for R&F too, though they went with the Cree instead. What are the chances that they end up giving the both of them to us for free? :mischief:
I suspect they failed to negotiate rights to use a leader's name and likeness, failed to negotiate the rights to use a Haida symbol, failed to negotiate the rights to Haida music, could not find a voice actor (the Haida language is in dire straits), or were requested to desist by the Haida tribal leadership--or any combination of the above problems.

I suspect they failed to negotiate rights to use a leader's name and likeness, failed to negotiate the rights to use a Haida symbol, failed to negotiate the rights to Haida music, could not find a voice actor (the Haida language is in dire straits), or were requested to desist by the Haida tribal leadership--or any combination of the above problems.
Sad, too. We could have had the original creators of Manga in the game, as well. :mischief: Also, putting them in my potential Civ idea list.

Not the civ I was hoping for but I look forward to some interesting maritime abilities. Plus I'm sure the music will be nice.
Oh, right. Forgot that no matter the Civilization, the music will slap.

Huh. When thinking about Portugal's likely unique units, zombies had never really crossed my mind. The more you learn...
I mean Portugal had control over "Mozombieque" for a while. :mischief:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom