1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

We thank the Planetary Republic of Bacchus for its offer, and will soon be voting on the possibility of collaboration with your government, in a campaign against these criminals.

The Solar Federation's concerns are noted by the government of the Interstellar Commonwealth, and your offers of support in our efforts of criminal suppression and eradication are appreciated. We will allow our member systems to choose whether or not they would

General Announcement to Member Systems and States of the Interstellar Commonwealth

In light of recent atrocities committed against the extrasolar systems of the Interstellar Commonwealth, it has become clear that our current fleet lacks the modernity and size required to maintain security throughout IC space. The Parliament in Brussels has approved a bill to dramatically upscale the Naval forces of the European Union and other IC member states. Precise details are currently being determined.

We also wish to confirm that investigations are taking place into the origins of this recent upsurge in piracy, in order to improve what is currently only a reactive defense system.

2. das

das Regeneration In Process

Speaking of pirates, I am a bit confused. I realise their motives are unknown in this particular case, but it sounds as though they simply harass colonies and blow up spaceships, and do little else at all. Do they actually plunder anything or try and salvage the destroyed enemy ships to sell their parts on the black market, or are they more like space terrorists than space pirates, destroying for a cause instead of attacking for direct profit (the two are not mutually exclusive, ofcourse...)?

(Also, "the Soyuz Union" is ridiculous :p )

3. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

4. Masada

Masada Koi-san!

Prospectus Small Trial .jpg Prospectus 2 copy.jpg

Republic and Imperial
    Your Way to the Stars​

5. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Secret projects that have made some especially notable progress will be privately reported on as soon as the stats are done, before the deadline is announced. Players who want an update on the status of a specific ongoing project should PM me now, so I know to include them in any reports I send.
    I hear it used to be a pretty popular passtime, so I decided to try it out.
    Yes, the two aren't mutually exclusive. There are some pirates that try to claim an ideological high ground to attack from, whether they're radical Marxists or social Darwinists. Generally, though pirate attacks in the 22nd century are for salvage and loot. Destroyed military ships get carted back to a hideout to have their weapons either sold on the black market, or used in future attacks. Cargo ships have their cargo looted and sold, at the very least, and it's not unheard of for the crew to be slaughtered and the ship carried away for scrap.

22nd century industry is cheap and versatile enough that the pirate craft are often manufactured in the very same system that they attack, using factories hidden on some jovian planet's moon. These small "pirate coves" are rarely discovered, though it's a major blow against local pirate activity when they are. Commerce is conducted either with the black market on the system itself, or loot is smuggled through the system's stigma skimmer to more lucrative markets.

Pirate activity in a system tends to reach an equillibrium based on the traffic through space, the local navy, and the proximity to Sol. For example, though it wouldn't take much for pirate to overrun, say, Avis, there just wouldn't be enough loot in it for them. There's still an occasional attack on the traffic there, but it's rare and purely opportunistic.

A few factors combined to make the Soyuz incident possible. There was a lot of unguarded traffic between Logos and the smaller, but still significant, settlement on 110-142C, and it's a short hop from Soyuz to reach Earth or Bacchus. The main factor, though, was the sponsorship of the pirate attacks. Normally, once interplanetary commerce at Soyuz ground to a halt, the pirates would be smartest to take their loot and run (and indeed, there probably are a few clever former pirates sipping girly drinks on Bacchus right now after following that course of action).

The sponsorship, however, made it profittable for the pirates to hang around and cause havoc, even when their profits would otherwise have not have made up for the costs. The pirate attacks on the ground at Soyuz are a result of some of the greedier pirates (or as planetside pirates are coming to be called, "bandits") looking to grab more vulnerable loot while still pulling down the paychecks from outside. Aside from the Soyuz incident, planetside bandit attacks have been pretty much unheard of.

As of 2150, increased European military activity at Soyuz has changed the situation somewhat. The pirate coves at Soyuz are all wealthy and highly developed from their short time of unchecked growth, and the local pirate leaders have too much invested in the operation to just up and pull out without a fight. Meanwhile, there are a lot of bandits trapped planetside, who are more concerned with not dying than with making a profit.

I'm glad you asked that question. I wanted to include a more thorough explanation of the economics of space piracy somewhere, and an explanation of how the Soyuz incident was different in that regard, but that section was already hogging the update. I want, among many other things, to give a believable portrayal of space pirates in this NES.
    Bah, the stand up comics of the ChaNES universe need some one-liners to warm up their audiences. ;)

6. Frozen In Ice

Frozen In Ice Emperor

Although there was a long wait, that was a nice update Chand. Now I need to pull out those old PMs and try to remember what I was actually doing.:p

7. Adrogans

Adrogans Quiet Laughter...

From Republic of Bacchus
    To Commonwealth

We would also be willing to assist in improving your military capabilities if you wish to collaborate in this arena.

8. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Retroactive deletion.

9. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Super Moderator Supporter

For a minute I thought you said Waipio, Hawaii and was concerned.

10. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I'm Chandrasekhar, and I approve this message. The superpowers struggle for supremecy by one method or another, and the governors grow their colony in the way they see best. It's within the means of a governor to foster resentment against the parent state, to post a story highlighting his private discontent of the handling of an otherwise unrelated incident, or even to offer (yes, offer, as an option to be taken or refused by the superpower) a place in its system to exile some malcontents, but it should all be handled in a levelheaded, believable fashion - especially when the colony is as yet so small, and the administrating superpower so well armed.

A bit of friction between the colonizers and the colonizees keeps the game interesting while we move up to time when the colonies will cease to be subordinate to Earth. Bacchus was a rare case - it had been around long enough to grow a generation of native born Bacchans, while Europe had a small navy, and no will to use it. Even then, Bacchus had a population of over 2 million before the revolutionary sentiment reached its head. It's important to keep everything in proportion here.

11. das

I think it's a question of how much power a governor has over his population (both in character and as far as the game is concerned). I understand that Mr. White probably just paid some people to applaud his little speech, or better yet has used pre-recorded applause (seriously, though, who the hell conducts diplomacy in public - or, more plausibly, wants to make it seem as though he is conducting it in the middle of some random crowd), but still... To say nothing of people like Thlayli pulling rebel movements out of what's almost thin air; large-scale rebellion is only really possible when the immediate situation gets desperate and makes the people desperate, otherwise an embarrassing failure is the most likely outcome for the conspirators.

Seriously, how many rebellions were there in 17th century English colonies? What caused them? And how did they end? The parallel is imperfect, but it's really something people should keep in mind.

There is also the angle where most colonies are economically dependent on uninterrupted trade with the Earth, as well as continued immigration; a brief disruption is survivable, but still potentially crippling.

12. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Yes; ironically, this hiccup in Carmenta's history will probably push back the date when the colony reaches the Solar Federation's independence criteria back a decade or so. That is, assuming the rebels don't manage to drive the combined Federate troops from the planet, which is (and I apologise, Thlayli) not terribly likely at this point. ;)

As a side note, the superpowers' stats have been updated. The entry "Leading SolFed Member States" has been deleted, and Symphony D. is now listed as the Federation's player, since I recall flyingchicken mentioning that he doesn't intend to continue in the roles he filled before his hiatus (though he's certainly welcome to rejoin as a colonial governor or somesuch). Also, the Carmentan rebellion has its own entry.

13. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

For the record, I too approve of Symphony D.'s message, and I already pointed that out to Ronin via other channels.

Great update Chand, now to go check those stats. Is there a map too?

14. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Stats are only partially done - the individual systems have yet to receive their update. I'll put the new map up once the system stats and the tech files are complete.

15. das

Do our newly-discovered brothers-in-sapience go under individual system stats or the tech files?

16. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Either tech files or a whole new section just for them. I'll figure out how to organize it somehow.

17. The13thRonin

The13thRonin Handsome Rogue

OOC: I disagree that threatening uncertain militant action against an atrocity that will cause the loss of 100,000 lives is unrealistic but out of respect to Niklas (whom I wouldn't want to ruin the game for) I will step down from the NES.

18. das

a) They don't have to go, you know. If you weren't paying attention they were quite clearly given a chance to stay under certain temporary provisions;
    b) Exile=\=death. Certainly not certain death, and even if SolFed was not to provide them with any of the necessary equipment (which is a pretty absurd scenario from the viewpoint of public relations), attitudes being the way they are nowadays the exiles probably would get all they need to survive and more anyway from other states and charities;
    c) I think it's 50,000 lives at most. :p

19. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

Sonty General Release:
    In light of the Recent Outbreak of Pirate activity, we are posting two standard bounties, and Establishing a independent fund through Switzerland to pay out these bounties.
    we hereby offer a reward of 5,000,000 Sol Fed credits for the location of a Major Pirate base, payable upon the confirmation and destruction of said base by ourselves, China, Sol Fed, or the Interstellar commonwealth. we will pay out this bounty from any of our offices, which can be found on any of the major colonized planet.
    We also offer 100,000,000 Sol Fed Credits to anyone who can bring to light the Identity of the party funding the recent wave of Piratical activity. proof of their involvement must also be provided. Payment for this bounty can only come from our offices in Sol, or on Ra.
    these bounties shall stand until the fund of 5,000,000,000 we have place asside for it is completely deapeated, or no bounties have been claimed in over a decade.

OOC: funds are in a Swiss bank account. numbers assume 1 sol fed credit is equivalent to one current US dollar. amount may be higher or lower if this is not true.

20. Thlayli

Thlayli Le Pétit Prince

Well, Chand, I'm fully prepared to bow out, though I remind you that YOU advised me to take control of the Carmentan rebellion as a figurehead. :p