• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

Pre NWolfNES III

Northen Wolf

Young Hunter
My first NES (Roleplaying as members of Village of Gor') was, what I consider, A success spanning 10 updates.

My Second NES was a dead-at-birth due to my overestimating my skills in creating stats.

I've thought, chatted with some of you or posted ideas about several different kinds of NESes (included fallout-themed, Dynasty-leadership, XCoM (alien side) board-gamish NES and faction-based NESes) but I've decided now.

This is my third attempt. It'll be a non-earth fresh start with minimal stats. It's goal is to let player to forge out unique cultures and nations. My English is not the best, but it should be decent enough for most of you.

-----

It'll start in the early bronze age.

Example stats:

For Players

Dominion/Kingdom/whatever Name
Player Name
Culture(s): (strength%)
Religions: (strength%)
Income:
Livelihood: short description of how your dominon makes money and how a commoner lives there
Population:
Military: X Infantry, Z Cavalry, Y Ships
Military Description

---------------------
I'm a steal this and a lot of more from NK's NES.
For Cultures:

Starting Location: Pick a location for your culture
Society: Who leads ? Are there castes? Slaves and merchants ? Citizenship? Clans? Is there a dicatorship? Are there ranks and nobles ? Are there blue-blood leaders or are titles claimable by anyone?
Lineage: How does one know who (s)he is? Does his clan give him social standing? Or will the gold in his pockets rise him up high or perhaps, victories and loot rise one up on social ladder? Does it matter who was your father, what family you are part of ? And if it does, how?

Values: What does your society value? Is it built on love or discipline? Is death feared or seeked? Is there slavery and kings or free people and councils?
Religion(s): Is there a god(dess?). Are there signs associated with future? Is there belief of afterlife or rebirth?

Past: Where do you come from? Who were your fore-fathers, why did they settle here and how did your social system began?
Economic Base: [Give the general economic basis of life for your people] - How does one earn his living, what does he eat and how does he aquire things needed for life?
Nation Names: [Make a list of nation names for me to use]
Person Names: [Make a list of names for me to use of famous persons]
Place Names: [Make a list of place for me to use for notable places]
[Add anything else you want to say]

Land map (somewhat in progress)

I'll play! Fresh starts are always welcome! :)

Do you just want to gauge interest, or do you want comments/submissions here?

I'll play! Fresh starts are always welcome! :)

Do you just want to gauge interest, or do you want comments/submissions here?

Comments would be nice, as so far I've only moderated RPG'ish NES'es and planned mostly for NES'es involving building up a single village or max a few town(s). So going up to nation scale is a change.

Very nice looking maps! Although I must say I know nothing about climates :p

Also early Bronze Age, if I design something, could you make an area of city states of the same culture that will slowly grow?

All this talks of an empire with a single king and duchies are itching me to make a culture!

Very nice looking maps! Although I must say I know nothing about climates :p
Mountains are still in designing part, I have not found a good enough method to mountains/hilly areas fast and while making them look good. They'll most likely not stay grayish areas on map, as they are now.

Also early Bronze Age, if I design something, could you make an area of city states of the same culture that will slowly grow?

I won't give players huge starting kingdoms. They'll start owning a small kingdom or a city-state, surrounded by same-culture small city/kingdom states (or whatever-states). So, yes, if you create a culture for city states (say Greek polis-culture, where city was important and controlled surrounding villages and if you describe how that city is lead, how it makes money and whatever else you feel like describing), then there will be more areas with same/similar culture around you. Then again, you could create a culture of travelling tribes or small villages and travelling merchants?

Creating a culture (and values) and creating a nation are different things, are they not?

I have awesome summers and horrid winters where I am. -55 to 32 celcius. :D Could you please state the temperature system you used for that? Just incase. It'll change my starting location.

Celsius. Those temperatures marked on climate map are average of hottest week of summer (not counting sudden unexpected heatwaves which are rare) and coldest week winter (again, not counting sudden-unexpected-santa-claus-left-fridge-open-days)

-55 C?
:confused:
Where do you live, on a boat traveling between poles and equatorial-areas? I don't think canada is sooo varying in climate? or ...

I'm in Estonia and temperature varies from -35 (just a week or two) to +28 (usually few days a year) :/

Edit: Maybe I should remove temperatures and just mark them as cold, temperate, warm climate? Meaning that in every climate, temperatures may (or may not?) fall below 0 during winter?

Celsius. Those temperatures marked on climate map are average of hottest week of summer (not counting sudden unexpected heatwaves which are rare) and coldest week winter (again, not counting sudden-unexpected-santa-claus-left-fridge-open-days)

-55 C?
:confused:
Where do you live, on a boat traveling between poles and equatorial-areas? I don't think canada is sooo varying in climate? or ...

I'm in Estonia and temperature varies from -35 (just a week or two) to +28 (usually few days a year) :/

Edit: Maybe I should remove temperatures and just mark them as cold, temperate, warm climate? Meaning that in every climate, temperatures may (or may not?) fall below 0 during winter?
Average of -40 during the winter here, average of 27 during the summer. We are like Siberia in the portion of Canada I live in.

Anyways, I'll have my city on that point near those mountains in that random bay in very soft winters. ((arm of a tiny inlet which is part of a big fat inlet which is also connected to a much larger body of water))

I'd be interested.

EDIT: should we start making entries now, or should we wait until the main thread goes up?

Looks nice, NW. :) I might join after the first update or two, if you don't mind.

One thing is, you might want to look into your rivers. Some of them don't seem to make much sense (for one, they usually merge into a single river as they approach the coast -- not split up so dramatically).

i think basic climates will do better

I'll use the basic climates terms then =)

I'd be interested.

EDIT: should we start making entries now, or should we wait until the main thread goes up?

You could do them now or later, altho climates and rivers will be redesigned.
Question to all Should there be any changes/anything else that cultures "stats" should/could contain?

Looks nice, NW. :) I might join after the first update or two, if you don't mind.

One thing is, you might want to look into your rivers. Some of them don't seem to make much sense (for one, they usually merge into a single river as they approach the coast -- not split up so dramatically).

I echo the concerns about climate systems and rivers. Maybe accentuate any hair-pin turns on the rivers before they merge?

I'll redo the rivers after school today.

City Names are important.

Titles are also important. I know we might just use generic King/Queen/Duke for familiarity and Caliph/Sultan for exoticness, but having fun titles and what they mean reveal alot about a culture.

See: Redeemers of Satar. What a name! Redeemer... redeeming for the failure of the Satari those many years ago to hold the sesh? I need to find out more, I forgot. (sorry thlayli)

Titles can be evolved through as the NES is played.

I think the best hint is keep things simple, don't over complicate things, if a player wants complexity let him write about it in stories and not by adding complex stats. When in doubt look at successful NES. You will see how simple rules are for them.

Yes. Though now the mountains look a little too much like the seas for my taste.

Top Bottom