Pre-thread: This world is yours 2: Solspace

1111a - Star of Pancasila
The Star of Pancasilla, or the Star of Five Principles likely represents the Five Precepts of early proto-Buddhism: 1 Refrain from taking life. 2: Refrain from taking what is not given. 3: Refrain from the misuse of the senses. 4: Refrain from wrong speech. 5: Refrain from intoxicants that cloud the mind.*
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

I was more drawing from the Indonesian political concept, but maybe it can refer to both!

Can I put nebulas in the same hex as a star? If so -

20CP - Star 0717A - Lycaon
10CP - Nebula 0717A - Wolf's Jaw Nebula
Bank 2CP

Lycaon is Greek themed

Last edited:
ORders: Eltain
29 CP total
20 CP: 2004d, white dwarf: Cixin
9 CP: Bank

Intend to add a second star, Shaanxi, to the hex later.

Cixin is Chinese themed

PHASE 1 TURN 5

Spoiler STARMAP :

0416e - Tyr
Tyr is a dim twinkle in the nightsky from Old Earth, barely visible on a clear night.
A class M main sequence star, small and exceedingly common. These relatively cool stars often mass only a fraction of Old Earth's sun.

0615a-A - Janus
Janus is a trinary star system about 8 lightyears rimward from earth. The eponymous star represents Janus, the father of time in one of the old Greco-Roman Pantheons. Janus has gone super-nova in the past half a million years and has yet to subsume its small neighbor, Venilia.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

0615a-B - Juturna
Jutuna represents the first wife of Janus, spurned in her old age by Venilia. She was the Goddess of fountain, spring and the lifeforce of the universe.
A K-type main-sequence star, also referred to as a K-type dwarf or an orange dwarf, is a main-sequence (hydrogen-burning) star of spectral type K and luminosity class V. These stars are intermediate in size between red M-type main-sequence stars ("red dwarfs") and yellow/white G-type main-sequence stars.

0615a-C - Venilia
Venilia represents the second wife of Janus, the Goddess of the winds and the sea. Venilia is a cool brown dwarf, and was likely a gas giant orbiting Janus at a comfortable distance before the latter went supernova. The expansion of Janus into a red giant has slowly been siphoning gases off of Venilia for millenia.
This brown dwarf is a sub-stellar primary mass which has not reached sufficient temperature to fuse hydrogen though it radiates appreciable electromagnetic radiation due to gravitational compression. Smaller brown dwarfs are categorized with gas giants on a somewhat muddled spectrum rather than a definitive threshold. The magnetic fields of a brown dwarf are powerful and potentially tumultuous compared to small planets.

0617b - Basar
Basar is visible in the Wolf's Jaw constellation. For decades, astrographers thought Lycaon and Basar were a binary system. The truth was only revealed when an observatory not in the Sol system was fixed on the location.
Slightly cooler and smaller than Old Earth's sun, this class K star most resembles Alpha Centauri B. It is particularly stable, burning on the lower end of the main sequence for tens of billions of years and thus considered a likely host to life-bearing and terraformable planets.

0717a - Lycaon
Lycaon is a newborn star in an active nursery - sufficient density of gasses in the Wolf's Jaw Nebula have compressed and ignited sometime within the past thirty thousand years - well within humanity's lifetime.
A typical F-class yellow-white star has a mass of 1.4 times greater than Sol and are around 1.5 times the radius. They have a lifespan of around 5 billion years before the hydrogen runs out and the star goes supernova.

0717a - Wolf's Jaw Nebula
The Wolf's Jaw Nebula is visible from the night sky on Earth - only as a shadow that passes in front of Lycaon every year around the same time.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

0918a - Sindhu Nebula
The Sindhu Nebula is like a river in the sky from Earth. Sindhu's eponymous parallel on Earth is home to great civilizations; Sindhu itself is a barren wasteland of frozen gasses and lightyear-spanning hyperstorms.
A nebula is a distinct luminescent part of interstellar medium, which can consist of ionized, neutral or molecular hydrogen and also cosmic dust.

2004d - Cixin
Cixin is your typical red dwarf, nearly imperceptible in the night sky. It is around 12 lightyears coreward from Sol.

PLAYERBASE CP2d6 CPBANKED CPTOTAL CPPOGSSP
TerrisH25107420
Erez872575370
Eltain2079360
Traveller7625813460
NinjaCow642572341-0.5=0.51
Lord of Elves2088010821

OOC:
Result of MINIGAME 1:
Bonus points applied to BASE CP.
Winner of TBD incentive is 0615a - Janus. Applied future plans to hex - stars Venilia and Juturna.

Spoiler MINIGAME 2 :

5 CP bonus will be added to your banked CP on 5/19/23, usable after that date IF:
1: You spend 20 CP minimum inside the region outlined below.
-a: The large diamond created by Cixin in the northeast, hex 0904 in the northwest, Pentas in the southwest and Nazca in the southeast.
2: Whatever you place, name it in theme with its nearest neighbor.
Pentas is Biblical
Enoch is Biblical
Cixin is Chinese
Kadeh is SEA / chinese
Vakapola is Russian
Nazca is Nazca / other S.american natives culture.
3: Avoid bunching submissions up against the "core cluster" of stars surrounding Sol.

Favorite contribution will receive an additional incentive of some kind, TBD.

REQUEST:
For future submissions, can you include in the text the "theme" of the object you are placing.
Example, in my placement of Cixin I specified that the name is Chinese in origin.
This helps me write flavor text and may inspire future submissions neighboring the hex.

I will update the map again on Friday 5/19/23 after 8 pm est.
If all orders are in before then, and also I have a few free minutes, I will update ahead of schedule.

Otherwise, I will update on schedule with or without all participants.

Orders: erez
37 CP total
20 CP: 1007c, Giant Blue (or as bigger as we can): David
17 CP: Bank

I need moreeee

20CP- Namaka 0904c Named for the Hawaiian goddess of the sea in recent years, it was originally cataloged as HT-293.
22CP- Bank

Might as well stake out a corner.
Question for next turn. If I want to try and generate a star of a certain type, I need to spend 20CP to make the star, then another 10CP to try and make it that type?

Last edited:
20CP- Namaka 0904c Named for the Hawaiian goddess of the sea in recent years, it was originally cataloged as HT-293.
22CP- Bank

Might as well stake out a corner.
Question for next turn. If I want to try and generate a star of a certain type, I need to spend 20CP to make the star, then another 10CP to try and make it that type?

Negative, but I see that the rule is unclear.

If you specify what type of star you'd like with the 20 CP it's more likely to happen than if you don't specify anything at all.

If it doesn't work out (which it might not) you can spend an additional 10 CP, yes.

AH! Just a second, then I can do what I was planing this turn, then try to fix it next if it fails.

20CP- Nemisis (Brown/white/Methane dwarf) 1111c. A long theorized partner star for Sol orbiting beyond the ort cloud, Nemisis was originally thought to have been disproven in the early 21st century and any theorizing about it was reduced to fringe groups. It wasn't until well into the age of FTL travel and settlement that It was discovered to be true, due to Gravitational observations of Sol from other colonies. Exceptional low in mass and luminosity for a star of its type, It was no wonder it evaded detection for so long despite how close it was to earth.
2CP: bank

If It's not any of the three categories, I intend to re-roll, as anything else that close to Sol breaks things. Also, I have no objections should you chose to reject it, it is a bit out there.

Orders: Eltain
36 CP total
20CP: 0407e - red giant - Lowel-Bannon
Lowel-Bannon was named for the duo of astrographers that catalogued it in 1904AD.

The name is Anglo-American in origin.

20CP - Star 1808A - Liu

Chinese origin

PHASE I TURN 6

Spoiler STARMAP :

0407e - Lowel-Bannon
Lowel-Bannon was named for and by its discoverers, Captain Hugh Bannon and Professor Lionel Lowel. It was first spotted in 1898 but the pair could not find it again in the night sky until 1904.

0904c - Namaka
Namaka is an orange dwarf in the Enoch constellation. Originally catalogued in 1972 AD as HT-293, in 2009 AD the star developped a unique twinkle. In response, in 2011 AD the International Astronomical Union held a public vote to give the star a proper name. The name Namaka gained popularity due to the popular children's movie about a Hawaiian princess, Namaka Amidst the Waves.
Slightly cooler and smaller than Old Earth's sun, this class K star most resembles Alpha Centauri B. It is particularly stable, burning on the lower end of the main sequence for tens of billions of years and thus considered a likely host to life-bearing and terraformable planets.

1007c - David
David is a dwarf star named for the eponymous hero in the biblical account of David and Goliath. Initially astrographers believed the two stars a binary pair, although this was disproven in later centuries.

1007d - Goliath
Goliath is a yellow-white giant star, vividly pulsating in the night sky from Earth. It was named due to its supposed proximity to David, the Bethlehemite hero of Biblical repute.
A Yellow Supergiant is a star, generally of spectral type F or G, having a supergiant luminosity class. They are stars that have evolved away from the main sequence, expanding and becoming more luminous. Yellow giants are hotter and smaller than Red Supergiants; many of them are variable stars, pulsating to the naked eye.

1106d - Sahawayda
Sahawayda is the ancient Ur term for 'desert heat'. It has been heralded since before the years of Christ as the Summer Star, the first star visible in the night sky in the early summer.

1303d - Guangrao
Guangrao is a giant star near the Cixin constellation. Guangrao was an important historical figure of the Jian dynasty. Centuries after his death, the naming rights to the star was purchased by his descendants from the Chinese government.
A low-to-medium mass star in a late phase of stellar evolution, a red giant has exhausted the supply of hydrogen in its core and switched to hydrogen fusion in a shell around the now helium core instead. While the star itself is huge, the outer envelope has a lower temperature, giving the star its characteristic hue.

1808a - Liu
Liu is a giant blue-white star in the Cixin constellation, approximately 9 lightyears from Earth.
B-class giant stars typically range from 10,000 K to 25,000 K and are also bluish white but show neutral helium lines. Post-main sequence stars such as the OB-class supergiants are extremely luminous and hot.

PLAYERBASE CP2d6 CPBANKED CPTOTAL CPPOGSSP
TerrisH2542251 + 27 = 780
Erez872561748 + 27 = 750
Eltain2071643 + 27 = 700
Traveller76257638 + 27 = 650
NinjaCow6425111450 + 27 = 770.5-0.5=01
Lord of Elves209108137 / 5 players = 27 CP each31

OOC:
Result of MINIGAME 2:
Bonus CP applied to base CP.
Winner: 1007c - David. I created Goliath next door.

Lord of Elves has earned 3 pogs through nonparticipation. That wasn't very pogs of you.
Their points have been redistributed to the remaining players.
If you'd like to continue, just post in-thread.

@TerrisH: I gave serious consideration to your contribution for Sol, and honestly was going to put an Australia-like prison planet orbiting it [SALUSA SECUNDA!], but ultimately decided against altering the Sol system. Sorry! :( I banked your CP that you spent on the project.

Spoiler MINIGAME 3 :

5 CP bonus will be added to your banked CP on 5/26/23, usable after that date IF:
1: You spend 20 CP minimum inside the region outlined below.
a: In the large square shape created by 1222 in the southwest, 1212a Poyan in the northwest, 2212 in the northeast and 2222 in the southeast. Basically, the bottom right quadrant of the map.
2: Pick a theme we have not seen yet. Could be an ethnicity, nationality, a city, region, country or location, a famous scientists or classical artist, or anything really.
3: Avoid bunching submissions up against the "core cluster" of stars surrounding Sol.

To earn the bonus, you only need to spend 20 CP in this area. Feel free to spend your remaining EXTREMELY GENEROUS amounts of CP elsewhere.

I will update the map again on Friday 5/26/23 after 8 pm est.
If all orders are in before then, and also I have a few free minutes, I will update ahead of schedule.

Otherwise, I will update on schedule with or without all participants.

Last edited:
20CP - Star 1808A - Liu

Chinese origin
he's onto me

Here's my list of interesting star names, if anyone would like inspiration or to steal them.
Spoiler NAMES :

Ionia
Gorgon
Noble
London
Bloom
Sharif
Herculaneum Secondus
Alexandria
Kovacs Primus
Aronov
7 Themis
Dryad
Herculaneum Primus
Steele
Voltaire
Volturn
Fault
Mimus
Kiernak Alpha
Aenis
Canaan
Muir
Epitome
Pyrrhus
Orso
Czikamura
Nakshatra
Ndaischeme
Thurston
Sabin
Astris
32 Themis
Kiernak Epsilon
Hotch
Mona
Ivan
Herald
Penang
Artemis
Athens
Allegiance
Bismark
Aldous
deWolfe
Dewalt
Visontus
Kiernak Beta
Betancourt
Fitzgerald
Baden
Zion
Varnak
Enoch
Oba
Maru
Dragor
Faust
Lafferty
Kazmierczak
Magadan
Lazore
Retir
Cark
Calhoun
Sabrosa
Delomen
Chinipoga
Zabol
Zabol Secondus
Skerith
Patina
Floro
Van Ypren
Lippin
Rhodes
Herasmus
Kveta
Taussky
Asimov
Clarke
Alpha Planar
Sacorey
Pillar
Acuff
Shaanxi
Shenzen
Sangreal
Bohlin
Haulan
Lilatha
Ugundu
Hubbard
Curie
Erol
Kartha Secondus
Typhon
Phaeton
Xusa Minoris
Xusa Majoris
Balathustra
Balaton
LB-7406b
D-2665
Herod
Nebuchadnezzar
Baltazar
Diamach
4 Scipii
7 Scipii
Cassium 137
Cassium 359
Chinook
Soras
Kachyra
Therac Secondus
Therac Primus
Hydrasi 20
Hydrasi 06
Hydrasi 25
Kargil Primus
Talbot
Dane
Anjou
Cathay
Lytton
Goethe
Kargil Secondus
Kargil Tertius
Kangol
Kartha
Kovacs Secondus
Titus
Kalius
Kallos
Buldoc
Xibalba
Tarkehva
Markov
Lazarus
Monsou
Fischer
Kershaw
Oortlieb
Korosa
Fealty
Jerusalem
Sirector
Path
Fulham
Carson
Coldharbour
Cutlass
Anatolia
Quixote
Wendigo
Mjolnir
Poe
Odin
Duncan
Eritrea
Hawking
Zhao
Baphomet
Talon
Levant
Baron
Miller
Calliope
Zephyr
Kaiser
Milagro
Faith
Catalysta
Sonam
Santiago
Lima
Brandneburg Tor
Mephisto
Dolabra
Principate
Principes
Scutum
Sargon
Hammurabi
Gilgamesh
Ashurbanipal
Mohenjo-daro
Urdu
Ur
Mojave
Navajo
Caledonia
New Avalon
Ngorongoro
Niger-Benue
Hittite
Maasai
New Senegal
Novangola
Yangtze
Hudson
Amazonia
New Kuwait
Saudi Star
New Beijing
St Albans
New Albany
St Cixin
St Cathay
St Abraham
Sinai
Mitanni
Urdu
Ankara
Neu Bern

It grows every day, but my CP does not.

Last edited:
20CP: 1620c Kookaburra
20CP: 1421a Bilbies
20CP: 1821e Quoll
18CP: bank
(aiming for at least one yellow Sol like star among the three)
There once was an astronomer who was born in Australian, sometime in the 1840's. while not very famous, he did manage to discover and named several stars in the southern sky and get them published back in england. He was not very original with the names, and it was several decades before someone noticed the names of these stars were all Aboriginal names for animals in Australia.

I have a cool idea but alas, not enough points. I’ll complete it next round i hope. Or should i just switch to nebulas?

Orders: erez
75 CP total

20 CP: 2121e Blinky - red giant
20 CP: 2021b Pinky - pinkish dwarf
20 CP: 2222b Inky - blue cyanish giant
15 CP: Bank

It is of course the ghost cluster/constellation.

Missing Clyde!

And the pac-man… i was thinking a nebula around a black hole, which when passing in front the ghosts changes their color due to gravitationally speeding their light towards earth (to blue), but i assume no black holes allowed. So probably a nebula that sometimes appear in front of them giving them a blue hue.

Last edited:
Orders: Traveller76

65 CP Total (Mythological Creatures)
20 CP - 1619E - Amarok
20 CP - 2116B - Vapula
20 CP - 2018E - Yali

5 CP - Bank

70 CP total
20 CP: Ankara, 0505e - Turkish in origin
20 CP: Shaanxi, 2004d - Chinese in origin - binary with Cixin
20 CP: Baden, 1706b - German? in origin
10 CP: Bank

Last edited:
77 CP

20CP - 1514B Star - Salam
20CP - 1204A Star - Qiufan
20CP - 0418F Star - Aso
17CP - Bank

Name explanations

Salam - Pakistani origin. Named after Mohammad Abdus Salam, a Pakistani physicist who was the founding director of the Pakistani space program. He also was the first Pakistani Nobel Prize winner (and the second Muslim). Also has a double meaning - Salam (sometimes also transliterated as Salaam) means "peace" in Arabic and is often used as an informal greeting, As-Salaam is also one of the 99 names of God.

Qiufan - Chinese origin. Named after Chinese science-fiction writer Chen Qiufan, continuing the naming scheme established Eltain and continued by me in this region.

Aso - Nigerian origin. Named after Aso Rock, a distinctive geographical feature in the capital city of Nigeria, Abuja. It means "Victory" in the native language of the Asokoro people, this star is also referred to as "The Star of Victory".

Top Bottom