Project - City-States Trait / Behaviour System Rework

• :c5greatperson: Holy Site for all of them on spot without Resource, Feature nor Improvement nor City; If it does not find anything in ring 3 of the city, then it won't build it at all (such situation can be met on small Islands);
  • +33% :c5faith: Religious Pressure;
  • +3 :c5gold: and +3 :c5culture: from Natural Wonders Mountains.
  • -10 :c5culture: Broder Growth Points for all of them (I wanted to make modifiers, like -10%, but VP neglects negative values);
So these bonuses are just for the CS right?
What does giving gold/culture really do for a CS? Just slightly stronger CS then right, but only if it's near mountains?
I think the CS bonuses should be more directly related to their type. Maybe this is supposed to be thematic, but not every religion gains gold from mountains. Gameplay wise in many cases this will do nothing if the CS doesn't spawn near mountains, and even then the effect on the player won't be incredibly noticible except extremely fast border growth suddenly if they spawn in a mountain. It also adds more text and exceptions.
Otherwise it looks interesting.
I liked the idea that hostile maritime CS were pirates, that they could pillage any units unless you were friends.

So these bonuses are just for the CS right?
Exactly. These bonuses are only to strengthen CSs and give them some flavours.

What does giving gold/culture really do for a CS? Just slightly stronger CS then right, but only if it's near mountains?
I think the CS bonuses should be more directly related to their type. Maybe this is supposed to be thematic, but not every religion gains gold from mountains. Gameplay wise in many cases this will do nothing if the CS doesn't spawn near mountains, and even then the effect on the player won't be incredibly noticible except extremely fast border growth suddenly if they spawn in a mountain. It also adds more text and exceptions.
Otherwise it looks interesting.
It's difficult to find things CSs can be boosted with. They are regular civs cut in half or even more if we mean mechanics. I try to find suitable niches, to give them more flavour. And falvour is here the most important thing. Yes, border growth is one of the things I can boost or nerf very easily, and that's why I use them one way or another. I don't think CSs use culture for other things. Do they? They do not have policies, they do not compete for Cultural victory. *shrugs*

This is beta. I'm still at the programming/designing stage.

Every Mountain is sooner or later used for tourism/religious tourism purpose. And because Tourism is useless for CSs, I decided for gold. It must be useful for CS.

I liked the idea that hostile maritime CS were pirates, that they could pillage any units unless you were friends.
Unfortunately I had no tools to program this. I wanted also to not rely on "pirate" things, as Maritime CSs, even if name is telling you that they should be coastal, they do not have guaranteed place at coast.

Last edited:
@InkAxis I gave the bonus smaller (+2 of each, but with Faith), and to Mountains, Atolls or Natural Wonders. Each of them is rare to find, but together they give greater chance for any bonus. This will have to be playtested.

Project plan update:
Spoiler CS Passives :

RELIGIOUS:
  • :c5greatperson: Holy Site for all of them on spot without Resource, Feature nor Improvement nor City; If it does not find anything in ring 3 of the city, then it won't build it at all (such situation can be met on small Islands);
  • +2 :c5gold:, +2 :c5culture: and +2 :c5faith: from Mountains and Atolls.
  • +2 :c5gold:, +2 :c5culture: and +2 :c5faith: to Natural Wonders.
  • -10 :c5culture: Broder Growth Points for all of them (I wanted to make modifiers, like -10%, but VP neglects negative values);
  • Friendly: -25% :c5faith: Conversion Resistance. 5% Chance for spawning a Missionary in Friends territory; +2 :c5culture: Culture from incoming :trade: Trade Routes;
  • Neutral: +10% :c5faith: Conversion Resistance; +5 :c5production: for every World Religion that has at least one Follower in this City-State. +1 :c5food: to Rivers and +2 :c5food: to Lakes;
  • Hostile: +25% :c5faith: Conversion Resistance; +25% :c5faith: Religious Pressure. 10 :c5culture: Culture on Unit's Death.

MARITIME:

• Manufactory and one Bonus Resource nearby;
  • +15% :c5food: Growth;
  • 10 :c5culture: Border Growth Points when :c5citizen: Citizen is born;
  • +20% :c5citystate: Enemy Spy Effectiveness;
  • Friendly: +50% :c5production: Production to Workers and Fishing Boats. Rarely gifts a Worker or a Fishing Boat (50% chance for any of them) to its Friends (5%). +1 :c5food: Food to Bonus Resources.
  • Neutral: +10 :c5food: Food per 4 :c5citizen: Citizens in this City-State. +10 :c5strength: Defense and +50 City HP.
  • Hostile: +20% :c5production: Production to all Naval Units. 50 :c5food: Food and 20 :c5culture: Border Growth Points from :c5production: Unit Production. +1 :c5production: Production per 2 :c5citizen: Citizens.

MILITARISTIC:

• Fort and a Strategic Resource (=1) nearby;
  • Can train its unique unit;
  • +10% :c5production: Production towards all Military Units;
  • You can upgrade your units inside their territory if Allied;
  • -33% :c5food: Growth;
  • Friendly: Gifts Units to its Friends at an increased rate (additional 5% chance). All Military Units gain 30 XP when trained in this City-State.
  • Neutral: +25% :c5war: Unit Supply Cap. +20% XP gained from Combat for units Trained in this City-State. All Military Units gain 10 XP when trained in this City-State.
  • Hostile: +50% :c5war: Unit Supply Cap. +33% :c5production: Production towards all Military Units.

MERCANTILE:

• Town and a Luxury Resource nearby
  • +10% :c5gold:
  • 5% :c5gold: converted into :c5food: and :c5production: each
  • -20% :c5gold: Hurry Cost Modifiers
  • -20% :c5production: towards all Military Units

CULTURED:

• Academy nearby;

Project plan update:
Spoiler CS Passives :

RELIGIOUS:
  • +3 :c5food:; +3 :c5gold: and +3 :c5culture: from Mountains and Atolls.
  • +10 :c5strength: Defense and +50 City HP;
  • -5 :c5war: City Supply
  • -25% :c5war: City Supply from :c5citizen:;

• Friendly: 1% Chance gift a Missionary to its Friends (if Major Player created a Religion or has a Majority Religion in its Capital). -25% :c5faith: Conversion Resistance. +2 :c5culture: Culture from incoming :trade: Trade Routes.
  • Neutral: +10%:c5faith: Conversion Resistance. +5 :c5production: for every World Religion that has at least one Follower in this City-State. +1 :c5food: to Rivers and +2 :c5food: to Lakes.
  • Hostile: +25% :c5faith: Conversion Resistance. +25% :c5faith: Religious Pressure. 10 :c5culture: Culture on Unit's Death.

MARITIME:
  • Manufactory and one Bonus Resource nearby;
  • +15% :c5food: Growth;
  • 10 :c5culture: Border Growth Points when :c5citizen: Citizen is born;
  • +20% :c5citystate: Enemy Spy Effectiveness;

• Friendly: 1% chance to gift a Worker or a Fishing Boat to its Friends (50% chance for any of them if Capital is costal). +50% :c5production: Production to Workers and Fishing Boats. +1 :c5food: Food to Bonus Resources.
  • Neutral: +10 :c5food: Food per 4 :c5citizen: Citizens in this City-State. +5 :c5strength: Defense and +100 City HP.
  • Hostile: +20% :c5production: Production to all Naval Units. 50 :c5food: Food and 20 :c5culture: Border Growth Points from :c5production: Unit Production. +1 :c5production: Production per 2 :c5citizen: Citizens.

MILITARISTIC:
  • Fort and a Strategic Resource (=1) nearby;
  • Can train its unique unit;
  • +10% :c5production: Production towards all Military Units;
  • +3 :c5war: Unit Supply Cap;
  • You can upgrade your units inside their territory if Allied;
  • -33% :c5food: Growth;

• Friendly: Gifts Units to its Friends at an increased rate (additional 1% chance). All Military Units gain 30 XP when trained in this City-State.
  • Neutral: +50% :c5war: Unit Supply Cap from :c5citizen:. +20% XP gained from Combat for units Trained in this City-State. All Military Units gain 10 XP when trained in this City-State.
  • Hostile: +100% :c5war: Unit Supply Cap from :c5citizen:. +33% :c5production: Production towards all Military Units.

MERCANTILE:
  • Town and a Luxury Resource nearby;
  • +10%:c5gold:;
  • 5% :c5gold: converted into :c5food: and :c5production: each;
  • -20% :c5gold: Hurry Cost Modifiers;
  • -20% :c5production: towards all Military Units;

• Friendly: 1% chance to gift a Caravan or a Cargo Ship to its Friends (50% chance for any of them if Capital is costal). +2 :c5gold: from Luxury resources.
  • Neutral: +2 :c5production: and +2 :c5culture: from Luxury resources. +20 :c5gold: from Border Growth.
  • Hostile: 20 :c5gold: when unit level ups. 30 :c5gold: and 10 :c5culture: from :c5production: Unit Production. 25% :c5production: added on :c5citizen: Birth.

CULTURED:
  • Academy and a hidden Artifact Site nearby;
  • +1 :c5culture: from Forests, Jungles, Marshes, Flood Plains and Oasis;
  • -20% :c5faith: Religious Pressure;

• Friendly: 1% chance to gift an Archaeologist to its Friends (if Major Player discovered Archaeology).
  • Neutral:
  • Hostile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom