Proportional Voting:FPtP to MMP

Well remember when your country got invaded the Commonwealth nations were the first in world to DoW Germany.
You never did

horsehocky If the affraid French Army were too short maybe I shoud ,,,, fudge You ! I am Pole !

He will likely get away with it. Fading support over three election cycles is fairly typical.
A normal election cycle is 4 years. Trudeau's second mandate was only 18 months, and during the last several weeks of that, people got suspicious... there were campaign-style ads and announcements, and Trudeau got a haircut (during the pandemic he'd let his hair and beard grow out), and suddenly he's on the news with a politician's haircut, and I figured, "Election call is coming, what a <censored> idiot." Sure enough, he dropped the writ in August and we then had 35 days of incessant political ads, and the writ hadn't been dropped for even 10 minutes before I received THREE emails from the NDP, soliciting donations.

People aren't going to forgive him again. Approximately $600 million was spent on the election we had in September, and it resulted in no significant changes, and Trudeau didn't achieve anything other than profoundly annoying people.

At least I didn't have to actually go anywhere to vote. We had a reasonable Returning Officer this time who didn't put me through the wringer when I applied for my in-home special ballot, and didn't argue when I challenged the discriminatory nature of Section 12 in the EC manual (that deems all disabled voters using the in-home special ballot method to be incapable of reading and writing regardless of what our disability actually is, and therefore denies us the right to a secret ballot).

Pardon me Good Sir , but I've always wondered how Canada and Australia are faring ? Are they loyal ?
Why wouldn't we be loyal? Granted, there are anti-monarchists in all Commonwealth countries, but not enough (in Canada, at least) to withdraw and become... whatever we'd become if we weren't a Commonwealth country.

Some anti-monarchist sentiment has been fueled by recent problems with our Governors-General. Julie Payette resigned just barely ahead of being kicked out of office for creating a toxic working environment, bullying employees (even in public), and throwing spectacular temper tantrums - not to mention demanding expensive renovations to Rideau Hall and then not even living there. It's a shame; I have respect for her as an astronaut, because in her non-political life, she's a modern-day Renaissance woman - highly accomplished in at least half a dozen fields. But mentally/emotionally, she was a walking disaster as a GG.

Her replacement is an Inuk woman, and while some people are ecstatic that we now have an indigenous GG, there are people in Quebec who are upset with her appointment. One of the basic requirements of this job is to be fluent in French, and she isn't. She is bilingual - English and Inuktitut - but Inuktitut is useless for the vast majority of the diplomatic and ceremonial duties she will have. She's promised to learn French, but since she's been a career diplomat for decades already, it's a legitimate question to ask her why she didn't bother learning French in the meantime. Her excuse that she wasn't taught it in school doesn't wash when you consider she's had 30+ years in the meantime to learn it.

They're still in the Commonwealth.

I imagine once the queen dies questions will be asked.

My guess is Australia will become a republic first.
Yeah, I'd expect it of Australia before we would (if we would).

The problem is that Charles is really not popular here, for a number of reasons. We wouldn't mind if he got skipped and William became the Queen's direct successor. I think there are a number of people who are crossing their fingers that the Queen outlives Charles (it could happen; it could actually have happened during the last 18 months, since he had covid).

The question is now - there is no invading "force" , the brithish are not coming, the economics is broken , the question is - do You want to be a free nation ? There is no king "George" (god bless his remains) , do You still wanna be free ?
Assuming the Royal Family continues for a few more decades, there will indeed be another King George (William's oldest child).

Hmmmm.....
My opinion: Vangelis has an amazing musical gift. I actually love this soundtrack, and pick other mental images to go along when I listen to it. But Columbus was despicable, and deserves no celebrations or honors.

Besides, the Vikings beat him by 500 years.

September 10, 1939 in Canada's case.

Yeah once Elizabeth goes I suspect anti monarchy will increase. Charles isn't popular here either.

Australia or NZ will dump the monarchy about 5 minutes after whoever pulls the trigger first. I suspect Aussie due to the Treaty of Waitangi.

Yeah once Elizabeth goes I suspect anti monarchy will increase. Charles isn't popular here eiter.

Why don't You show her the middle finger , the taxes can't be high as that !

Yeah once Elizabeth goes I suspect anti monarchy will increase. Charles isn't popular here eiter.

Why don't You show her the middle finger , the taxes can't be high as that !
Huh? :huh:

What do taxes have to do with anything?

Any why be needlessly rude to a 95-year-old woman?

Huh? :huh:

What do taxes have to do with anything?

He is equating us with the Americans.

Canadians and NZers not that crazy.

One day we might tell the monarchy to sod off but it won't be Boston tea party style.

Assuming the Royal Family continues for a few more decades, there will indeed be another King George (William's oldest child).
That is by no means a given. I do not expect Charlie to rule under his birth name, as monarchs of that name do not have a good record.
A 95 year old woman who rules over us because her great(* X) grandfather was better at killing people than someone else, and whos greatest contribution to the rule of this nation is to ensure that she gets tax breaks. I can see a certain need to be rude to her.

They're still in the Commonwealth.

I imagine once the queen dies questions will be asked.

My guess is Australia will become a republic first.

Tough to say, but here in Canada at least there isn't enough momentum for us to kick the monarchy to the curb. Things more or less work right now, and it'd be expensive to get rid of the Queen and all the other pedophiles who run the UK from our system, so I don't see us abolishing the monarchy anytime soon.

Most Canadians basically think that we have much more important problems to deal with right now. There's also a decent % of loyalists who would be against such a move, although it's tough to say how many exactly. Most politicians probably wouldn't want to go here for both reasons, plus the "just too expensive to deal with right now" reason, plus probably others.

Tough to say, but here in Canada at least there isn't enough momentum for us to kick the monarchy to the curb. Things more or less work right now, and it'd be expensive to get rid of the Queen and all the other pedophiles who run the UK from our system, so I don't see us abolishing the monarchy anytime soon.

Most Canadians basically think that we have much more important problems to deal with right now. There's also a decent % of loyalists who would be against such a move, although it's tough to say how many exactly. Most politicians probably wouldn't want to go here for both reasons, plus the "just too expensive to deal with right now" reason, plus probably others.
It's also a constitutional thing. There are some tweaks that would help, but the level of agreement and cooperation to get it done is beyond a major headache.

Y'know, warpus, you're actually eligible to be appointed to the Senate. You're a citizen over the minimum age, and you own over the minimum requirement of property. There are lots of perks, and it's a guaranteed job until you're 75.

Inertia keeps us in it MMP didn't change that.

I'm expecting that question to come up again when Elizabeth passes.

It's also a constitutional thing. There are some tweaks that would help, but the level of agreement and cooperation to get it done is beyond a major headache.

Y'know, warpus, you're actually eligible to be appointed to the Senate. You're a citizen over the minimum age, and you own over the minimum requirement of property. There are lots of perks, and it's a guaranteed job until you're 75.

What sort of perks? Aren't there also a lot of responsibilities?

I have never thought about becoming a senator, but one day.. perhaps, why not. I think as long as I get to wear a toga at least once it will be worth it, but that's also just a knee jerk reaction... I just don't know if I necessarily want to put all that time and work into trying to make Canada better or whatever it is that senators do. That sounds stressful

Very interesting. Especially how some flukes resulted in a major overhaul of the political system against the wishes of the establishment.

Back then party funding came from memberships and the public purse.

Corporate donations didn't really become a major thing until the 90's after MMP was a done deal.

Top Bottom