Public Poll on Civilizations/Government Civics

Civilization types

• Races with different governments

Votes: 13 35.1%
  • Governments with different types of leading bodies

Votes: 24 64.9%

• Total voters
So you don't know much about xml? I am pretty sure that that's how to do most or all of the adding/deleting/changing units that you need. I downloaded a tutorial that helped a little, but that's not advanced enough for this. I'm sure there are more advanced ones to be found here somewhere, if we're willing to learn

@Joxer: I think Jedi/Sith should be researched as techs like you say, but then alignment would be governed by civics. Your units idea also doesn't seem like a very fun application of the units now, does it? and it is also probably hard to script in. If you think about it, any civ with light alignment should be able to build Jedi, right?

I'm not sure about that, though.

I was thinking of having those units based on the light and dark and all to be military based, but the force would especially affect the world as a whole. The mood, the affections, the cultuers, the building and everything.

Definately militarty combat units. When you think of Jedi and Sith, what do you think of? Lightsabers!:D good for cuting people up.

"For my ally is the Force. And a powerful ally it is. Life creates it, makes it grow. Its energy surrounds us and binds us. Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter. You must feel the Force around you. Here, between you… me… the tree… the rock… everywhere! Even between the land and the ship."--Yoda

That sure sounds like it affects the whole galaxy too me.

it does :p

but the lightsabers was actually invented a long time AFTER the first Jedi and the force was discovered and all that... :o

This is when I'd like to mix that up a little. The Force Units shouldn't really have lightsabers before lightsabers actually got researched. It should require multiple techs and it should get developed through a Universal Wonder or something :D then it would be available to all players... if they have the prequisites-thing-stuffs-whatever-heh which is needed :)

and I think what you suggested before about the military part would be pretty good for it.. 'unlocking' depending on the Civ and all. But what about using the force as Religion instead? Then it would be independant on the city of whether it would be Siths, Jedies, Force Adapts or whatever... but then again, if we do have it as a fovernment then it would get more of 'converted' and all... *hmm*

what about making a mix? both a religion and also making it affect the government or whatever we'd call it? :D

If anyone has any ideas of how we can put some differences in them we can see if it'd work.

that sounds good. The civic liberalism reqs no state religion, so a dark side civic could require the Dark side as a religion. can there be two seperate religion tracks? one for species, and one for Force? If the species are done in religion fashion, then the "state religion" would be whatever species you want dominant. this however would obviously interfere with the Force as a religion. It would be cool if there were a way to get a religion OUT of a city, if you convert to being a light side civ, then build an imp or something like wealth to get rid of a "religion"

If I may add something.
Make it like Liberalism in that the first Civ to get there gets a handful of Jedi units. But make an Anti-Force tech ie the DarkSide. Only one side of the Force can be researched by a Civ so as to not negate the little twist.

This sounds like a good way too do the tech part of it. The Force, then light/dark side, then lightsabers. a few other, more specific techs could go in between. Can there be a tech to research mulitiple times? A player could research a the dark side to get dark side points and a light side tech to earn light side points. much like KOTOR, except techs replace actions.

dunno... I think Star Wars Mod would be pretty easy in Galactic Civilizations 2, but it isn't for Civ4 XD heh

sound sgood enough, but I think that having the whole force and alignment be a mix of religion and a state thing. Just because a city or planet is influenced by Dark Side of the Force it doesn't mean it's the 'State Force'. If we could make it so there's also governments and such being influenced by the 'State Force' and individual Force Alignment it owuld be great :)

I was just thinking of way to have 2 separate wars going on. Maybe everyone is at peace but you could still have the war going on between Jedi/Sith/BHs. Everyone could build Jedi once they research the techs. But you had to make a choice to either follow the Light or Dark side.

Then when you build your Jedi, they could follow either Light or Dark side, even if you picked the other side. If they went against your chosen side, the unit would be "gifted" to the other side, more specifically the first person to research either Light/Dark.

It was just an idea because I did not know how you would balance the Jedi/Sith against the other units effectively.

interesting :)

but would this mean that we'd have like 'gang wars' going on depending on the state of Alignment? (i.e. whether you're Jedi, Sith, Force Adapter or whatever instead of Bounty Hunters.)

if you ask me, there shouldn't be a whle Civic called Bounty Hunting as it's more of a proffesion. We could make Bounty Hunters through training, but we shohuldn't compare them to being in the same cases as the Force Alignments.

:blush: I did not know that you were making the Force alignments civics. Althought a society built upon Bounty Hunters would be interesting just to think upon, but not really practical.

I was just making them all units like Spies where there could be a whole separate war raging besides the land/space struggle. I thought to keep the Force as a civic, not Light and Dark as 2 different civics to choose from.

why not have both? :p

Both force-struggles and land/space wars in case there's an 'open' war?

It would strengthen what you wanted, isn't that right? :p But of course they should also be able to go directly in war and participate if there's an official war going on, and not just have an internal struggle.

Then the question would be, where would they stop? Would such force-struggles and fights making it capable to capture a city if it got 'invaded'?

I personally wouldn't say that, but if we instead could make it, so if a city was invaded by this other force, it would get directly turned to this new alignment, making it unavailable to build ANY other Force-units than the one(s) seizing... :p So you'd have to reconquer it back without fully going into a war, because this would be Force-struggles. Then you'd chase those hostile Force-units out of the city, converting back to your own alignment again.

Does this sound good, or do you have any suggestions or totally disagree?

That sounds good. No capturing cities by themselves, but being able to convert city alignments. I guess one Jedi/Sith wouln't really affect an entire war or battle, but it would still be fun to see a combat version of these units:)

Aye, a truly religious war where the missionaries are the only combatants allowed. That would definately be something of an interesting perk.

Im not sure if that should be a focal point of the game but a nice diversion for sure. If time allows, it would be nice to see that feature.

actually it has - and we'll most likely do it the way so there won't be any 'full CIS' as the player can choose himself how to develop - maybe create his own republic, or CIS? :D

I like the idea of 2 layer war going on. One with regular military and the other with the Force and special units. The Jedi can also take part of open war, however. My idea would be making the Force units something of a mixture of spy, missionary, and Great General in Warlords. The Force units wouldn't need to respect borders and only other Force could challenge then. Like missionaries, they would change the alignment of a city (light, dark, maybe neutral too). When running a light side civic, you would benefit from the light cities more and other way around. The Force units could also be merged with military units giving unique Force promotions, bit like GGs. That symbolises a Jedi taking part of conventional warfare.

Should keep the alignment thing pretty basic if we are going for the species as religions solution. Alignment shouldn't be a religion, just Jedi or Sith leaving their influence on the place, or goodness or evilness of a planet.

There should also be some wonders that have synergy with Force civics. For example, having Valley of the Dark Lords would make a Sith civic more appealing, while having the Jedi Council would make Jedi civic seem like a wiser choice.

Willing? Perhaps. Able? Definitely not! Heh, you just crushed my dreams.

Top Bottom