questioning your faith

boann

Tuatha princess
have you ever changed your mind about what you believe?
i mean totally and completly ......
and have you done this more than once ?

do you have the same religion as your parents?

I was once completely and utterly devoted to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints (mormons). I grew up mormon and throughout Middle and High School I was convinced it was the only true church of God and that salvation lay through it. But I always have been a very open-minded person who has always searched out logic. Open- Mindness and Logic will eventually lead someone out of that faith. I did sould searching and could not bring myself to be comfortable with many of the church's teachings. Also there were several aspects of the church that just didn't hold up to logic. Eventually after soul searching and thoughtfull contemplation I decided I no longer was a believer. I remained relativly silent about my new beliefs while I still lived with my parents. Now that I am on my own I have withdrawn myself completly as a member.

I for a long time was very resentfull towards the church I felt invaded. I was honestly brainwashed to believe it was true and to devote my life to it. And beneath the lies there was a Corporation that seeked power and was not afraid to persecuate. I recently have come to terms with the Church. I still don't like it or it's teachings but it's a part of the world that will never go away. And just like any man-made organisation it has it's faults.

did this realization make you feel sad ?
or angry about being mislead or lied to?

ive recently felt this and wondered if i was alone .

I would say that I did not feel sad but quite the opposite, I felt freed from a great pressure. But I was very angry, I did feel lied to and mislead, well not mislead worse, I felt Invaded. I felt that my personal right to thought, and decision making was invaded and corrupted. I felt betrayed by my family and community but at the same time I felt Pitty for them that they were still captive to this thought controll. I was also frustrated that the people around me were unwilling to look at the truth. They were unwilling to even consider that their faith might be false. It was very hard for me and for about a year I phased in and out of belief, it toke me a long time to accept to myself that my entire past everything I was taught from day one was a lie. I still feel angry but I learn to deal with that anger. Some people just don't want the truth, they are happy in their lives even if it is a world of lies.

I can guarantee you that you are not alone. I myself found www.exmormon.org it is a great site. It is the recovery from mormonism sight. There are people there that have devoted their whole lives to their faith only to realise in their older lives it's a sham. Bishops, Stake Presidents, Family of the Apostles. I'm sure if you look hard enough you'll find others. Try doing some searches on the interent you might find a forum or chatroom.

Out of Curiosity (if you don't mind me asking) what faith are you questioning?

I made a paradigm shift in my thinking about religion several years ago. Through a series of bad things happening at home, I came to the conclusion there was no God. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. Like some sort of liberation......

Since then, I have turned from a flaming atheist to more of an agnostic. I am fine with whatever other people intend to worship. Just don't press your beliefs on me.

Just don't press your beliefs on me.

I find it immensely ironic when athiests say this. They press the religious to "leave me alone" and "keep your religion to yourself". Yet in the same sentence they attack the faithful asking "how can you believe this" or "that is a load of bull". I don't press my beliefs on others, yet athiests are more then willing to SHOVE their non-beliefs down my throat.

Originally posted by Immortal

I find it immensely ironic when athiests say this. They press the religious to "leave me alone" and "keep your religion to yourself". Yet in the same sentence they attack the faithful asking "how can you believe this" or "that is a load of bull". I don't press my beliefs on others, yet athiests are more then willing to SHOVE their non-beliefs down my throat.

I agree even as an atheist I see this, it happens with all humans, it's human nature. I try to not do it myself but I'll catch myself at times. This is one of the dillemma's of the human race, who can look themselves in the eye and really say that they've never been a hypocrite?

I realize its not you, if that was your reaction to it, I apologize. But I found this a rather good time to bring that up (considering all the posts surrounding it in the OT forum).

Well as an atheist, I think a fine line must be drawn between healthy discussion of your beliefs and antigonizing those who believe in god. This is something I must wrestle with every day, and I'll tell ya it ain't easy.

Ahh, yes, the only people that spend as much time thinking about God as devout believers are devout non-believers.

I've never had a crisis in faith because I have none, and never have. I even remember being in religion class when I was all of six years old and not buying it, even though I was a bit older before I openly questioned it. I do recall wondering why it was such a taboo because I assumed, naturally, that nobody else REALLY believed either and we were all just playing along.

I'm a die hard Atheist.

Both Parents are atheist... at least mostly...

But all my grandparents were christians.

Originally posted by boann
have you ever changed your mind about what you believe?
No - never. My religion pushes for independent investigation of God. We are not really a member of the religion until we turn 15. At the age of 15 (called the age of maturity) we can formally join the faith and we get these nifty little cards :) Independent investigation of all relgions is a big part of the Bahai Faith. We look at all other religions - in Sunday schools which we have, they teach all about the other religions and their histories. I have never heard anyone say anything bad of another religion through these. Everything is positive and the message is always good. At the same time we learn about our own religion and then overtime we are given the chance to decide. We can either say we want to be a Bahai and sign the card, or we can just not do it and not take on a religion. Or if you want, you can even go join another religion.

So even though my grandparents and parents before me are Bahai - I wasn't really formally a Bahai until I declared at the age of 15. I think it's kindof cool.

do you have the same religion as your parents?
Yes - See above.

questioning your faith

My faith in questioning has been strained at times. My parents were baby-boomers who bought the childrearing fad of encouraging kids to develop their own values and beliefs. In other words, teach nothing, and see what grows in a moral vacuum. Product: agnosticism. Some of us turned out pretty well.

I had a brief period of youthful non-belief, but then came back into the fold big time.

I'm a Buddhist and parents where Buddhist, I'm researched and learned alot of my religion and what it stands for and can comfortably say that I'm going to teach MY kids at least about the life of Siddhartha Guatama

I've often wondered if I'm wasting my time clinging to the beliefs of Jehovah's witnesses. But every time I really stop and think about it, I realize how empty other philosophies are, and how blatantly hypocritical most other faiths are, and think to myself,

'Well, at least the JWs practice what they preach. Keep them in sight, they seem to know where they're going.'

Honestly, the idea of there not being a god at all is frankly ludicrous. To me, anyway. If you can say it with a straight face, more power to you, knock yerself out. I've seen the commercials, read the cereal box sides, and checked out the website, and I'm not even remotely convinced. Y'all atheists are not going to sell me that one anytime soon. A universe without God makes almost as much sense to me as chili woithout cornbread.

Those are my opinions, FWIW, and everybody's got some.

Top Bottom