1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Brianm614

Brianm614 Chieftain

Hello All - quick question about vanilla civ4. Is there a way to mod the XML file to get rid of espionage by either making Scotland Yard or the spy unit itself not buildable? I have seen a lot of talk about this in BTS but I am talking about just regular civ 4. Thanks

2. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

In \Assets\XML\Buildings\CIV4BuildingInfos.xml CTRL+F <Type>BUILDING_SCOTLAND_YARD</Type>, then scroll down to <iCost>500</iCost>. Change the 500 to -1 and I believe it should become unbuildable.

3. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

Which is the most popular mod for Civ 4? BAT, BUG?...

4. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

I'll just leave this here.

5. PsychopathicWarmonger

PsychopathicWarmonger Warlord

Ah. Seemed to have skipped that when looking for a thread on it. XD
    Thanks.

6. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Yes, thanks for that link, it is a good summary. I may have to try one.

7. unas876

unas876 Warlord

When someone is not willing to trade a tech for the reason "We don't wanna trade this away yet", will they use that tech to bribe people to war?

8. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

I
    it's probably a tech that allows the building of a wonder. They don't want to trade so they have no competition in building it.

unas876 likes this.
  9. unas876

unas876 Warlord

I seem to remember like a matrix chart about "A first impression is a lasting one". In the chart there were all leaders base attitudes towards each other. Does anyone know where to find it? After looking for like 20 minutes I could only find charts about the leaders base attitude towards the human player :(

10. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

unas876 likes this.
  11. sirdanilot

sirdanilot BBcode owns in sigs!

Is it better to completely conquer other civs or to just take their capital and Vassal state them in civ 4?

(I'm not a newbie but getting back into playing civ 4)

12. catalin72

catalin72 Prince

Depends on settings,map size,difficulty and more.If you choose 'custom game',is a setting:'No Vassal states'.Most players from CivFanatics use 'standard' maximum size,fractal or pangaea.Your goal is to finish quick the map,so more times a Vassal is enough.Are special situations,one example:a strategic resource missing in your territory is in the territory of your 'target' civ,poor culture,risk to loose to other civ,when need to be careful signing a Vassal state treaty.

Last edited: May 21, 2017
  13. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

I'd say even more important is what type of victory you are pursuing. Capitulating AIs can often be the fastest way to conquest in higher level conquest games. Domination can be a little trickier as a vassal land only counts 50% towards the land percentage needed, so you need to make sure there is enough land for you to exceed the limit. For culture games, vassals are most likely a distraction as you generally focus on being as peaceful as possible the whole game. For diplo type games, vassals can certainly help ensure victory for UN - called diplomation. I think with AP victories a vassal can actually vote for themselves if they are in the AP religion and large enough to be your rival in the vote, but otherwise AP victories are fairly quick wins if played optimally, so vassals won't even come into play.

Lastly, for Space games, it really come down to balance. The key with Space is having as much land as possible - close to Dom limit as you can get. However, grabbing a strong vassal or two can help with tech trading, if you prop them up nicely.

14. sirdanilot

Thanks guys

Another question:

how do I beat longbowmen until I have knights? I can't seem to destroy the other civ (Sumerians) without ridiculous stacks of units, and their stacks keep getting bigger too. My economy is now crippled and from the 4 cities I was planning on taking I only got 1.
    Due to my crippled economy I am also not going to get knights any time soon :( let alone musketmen.

I am playing khmer so I got special war elephants but sadly no ivory on the continent.

15. Samson

Samson Deity

Generally the answer to these questions is sacrificial siege units.

16. sirdanilot

So I need EVEN MORE catapults?

17. Samson

Samson Deity

I cannot be sure, but probably yes. I generally only lose catapults and subsequent units, as they do most of the dying, and my other units just mop up.

18. sirdanilot

Okay, thank you.

I think what I will do is start over ( I saved before the war) and build a ****ton of catapults. Maybe I'll go for trebuchets (engineering) instead of knights in my research. I'll let you know if the result will be better than in my original.

19. Kallikrates

Kallikrates Prince

You usually don't use knights vs. longbows. You either use lots of catapults + elephants or macemen or trebuchets and similar supporting units. Or you use Cuirassiers that can usually be had almost as quickly as trebs with the proper beeline. And they are much better and more versatile. The trouble with knights is that they also take almost as long to get as cuirassiers and are considerably weaker (don't ignore walls). The exception are cataphracts but one has to get them really early to work.

20. civfanchambers

civfanchambers Prince

It should be noted the Summerian leader is protective, which makes his longbows even more dangerous.
    On a side note, the only time I use knights is if I'm playing the French. Beeline gunpowder and guilds and put into action a stack of knights/musketeers that have 2 movement.