1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Samson, that seems like you are are saying the opposite regarding overflow into gold compared to what Pangea said. Pangea is saying only general production multipliers count for production into gold, it sounds like you're saying all the production multipliers counts for production into gold.

Anyway, all the answers so far regarding this sound rather nebulous. Both in some vagueness of explanations and with words like "IIRC"

Can anyone please give me some firm confirmed detailed information on all this?

Also it's confusing when people say overflow as two different definitions used interchangeably, overflow meaning production carried over from last turn, and overflow meaning turned into gold. The word "overflow" seems to be doing double duty, much to my confusion.

Is there a limit to how long production type overflow can carry over? Like if you chop a tree for 30 and have 30 extra production on something that costs more than 30 production and your "base production"(whatever that means) is more than 30, and each following turn you have 30 extra production thanks to the chop, will that 30 keep carrying over turn after turn?

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  2. Samson

Samson Deity

I cannot give anything firm. I thought I understood it, but this post says it has changed.

3. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

I want to be able to select only uninjured units to move, leaving behind injured units to heal.

But I was already explained before on how to do this. Is there a way to search just this specific thread along with some key words and narrowing only results with my username to find my question and answer? Exploring the advanced functions of this forum search, I don't see a way.

4. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

I don't want to be piling up threads but I'm very curious about this. I noticed in Personal Details on this forum it lets you choose what versions of civ you own. At Civ 4 there is BtS, Warlords, Regular, and Special?!
    Can someone please tell me what the Special version of Civ is.

5. salty mud

salty mud Deity

Judging from this link, it's just Civ IV that came with some extra bells and whistles.

Noble Zarkon and Louis the XIV like this.
  6. Samson

Samson Deity

In the search box, you can enter your username in "Posted by Member",and tick the "Search this thread only" tickbox.

I think the keys you want are Atl-C (select all units), then Ctrl-H (select all injured units), then space (injured units do nothing for a turn), then you should have selected all uninjured units.

carlosMM likes this.
  7. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

TY.
    Is there a way to know what corporations are still available to found and what ones I qualify for?

I mean the alternative is to aim for a specific great person, get the techs I think I need (not always obvious to me) switch over from state property to something that allows corporations(likely dealing with anarchy), and then see if I'm able to make a corporation. If I can't make a corporation, I got no idea why, the option just doesn't appear. And without messing with skipping turns and saves.

This issue is even more frustrating than the Great wonders problem with civ4, looking at techs, noting which wonders they produce, and trying to see if I can find it in Top cities/wonders screen, which orders them seemingly at random and is not a complete list (if a wonder has been produced or not can make a big difference as to whether it is worth aiming for a tech, like Divine rights who's only value is the wonders and the religion)
    Or the similar issue with determining which technologies your foes do and don't have. Yes the tech trade screen sort of tells you, but only if you have met them, and more importantly if they are several techs behind or ahead it's confusing to figure out if they have X tech or not, without spending alot of time staring at the tech tree and switching back and forth (or having to memorize the entire tech tree) Is there a mod or work around or something for either of those issues?

8. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

Yes, BUG, BAT, BULL, BUFFY, take your pick.

9. Samson

Samson Deity

There is a corporation advisor. It is the button with a briefcase. There is a shortcut key, I think ctrl or alt f7.

10. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

Suitcase icon is the Corporation Advisor, as Samson pointed out. The tech tree will also show which Corporations are available at which techs. You need the Corporations tech and another tech to enable each Corp.

If you're going for Corporations you probably shouldn't bother with State Property. Unless you're Spiritual or are doing the civic switches in a GA, that's a lot of anarchy to switch in and out of it. When I played with Corporations, I would beeline economics, switch to Free Market, grab the free Great Merchant that comes with being first to Economics, and use that GM to found Sushi as soon as I research Corporations. Received wisdom suggests that the best Corps are Sushi, Mining, and Cereal in place of Sushi if you are on a Pangea. Getting the Great Engineer for Mining is harder than getting the Merchant, of course.

11. usadefcon1

usadefcon1 Warlord

Is there a mod that adds upkeep to roads so they aren't built everywhere?

12. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

You can add that yourself by going to Assets/XML/Units/CIV4BuildInfos.xml and change this line
    Code:
                <iCost>0</iCost>
    to however much cost you want the road to have.

usadefcon1 likes this.
  13. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Isn't that mod called "Civilization 5"? It's not very good.

carlosMM, jmas, Nogbadthebad and 2 others like this.
  14. Ita Bear

Ita Bear Chieftain

Hello usadefcon1
    I don't think it would be wise to do this as it would destroy the game's balance. Connecting your cities with routes would be disastrous and, of course, the AI would have no idea how to handle this and constantly go into ruin.

What's the big deal with roads, anyway? One of the many great things the Romans did for us. :D

Kinds regards,
    Ita Bear

Louis the XIV and lymond like this.
  15. Imp. Knoedel

Imp. Knoedel Simperator Knoedel

No, that only adds a one time build cost, not continuous upkeep.

Louis the XIV likes this.
  16. Louis the XIV

Louis the XIV Sun King

oh, well then the option to add upkeep is either in the CIV4RouteInfos.xml or in the CIV4BuildInfos.xml. I haven't modded in a while so I'm kinda rusty with this kind of things :crazyeye:!

usadefcon1 and Imp. Knoedel like this.
  17. earthy

earthy Warlord

what settings are ideal to get a fractal style pangaea with choke points and narrow connections?

18. earthy

earthy Warlord

can AI plot over "you refused to accept our favorite civic" or is it just - relations?

19. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Pretty sure only refusing to give a tech can lead them to start plotting.

earthy likes this.
  20. earthy

earthy Warlord

who gets the chop for tiles that are outside of a cities BFC? It makes no sense to me.

in this screenshot Tile 1 is three tiles horizontal from Memphis, two tiles diagonal from Alexandria, and Memphis gets it. Seemingly the exact opposite, Tile 2 is three tiles horizontal from Alexandria and 2 tiles diagonal from Memphis, but Memphis still gets it. How do I figure out who gets the chop before wasting a worker turn moving there?

edit: ooh, memphis has 3rd ring culture. Is that why? What if it hadn't popped past second ring yet?

Spoiler tiles :
    worker.png