Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

If I'm hosting a pitboss game ...

1. Does the computer have to be modern/capable of running huge maps of civ? Or can it be just an old computer but with stable internet connection?
2. What happens when I reboot/restart the computer? When the internet gets back, is the game automatically back up?

If I'm hosting a pitboss game ...

1. Does the computer have to be modern/capable of running huge maps of civ? Or can it be just an old computer but with stable internet connection?
2. What happens when I reboot/restart the computer? When the internet gets back, is the game automatically back up?
1. I'm pretty sure your hosting computer doesn't need to be capable of running huge maps in the modern era. This is because it's the computers that join the pitboss game that do the majority of the donkey work. The server is pretty much just a central point for them all to connect to. Of course, you might find that load times are quicker if you have a more modern server. :)

2. I'm pretty sure you have to manually restart the pitboss after a reboot, unless you set up an application that automatically restarts it for you.

All in all though, you might be better off directly PMing someone who has experience hosting pitboss games (e.g. DaveShack), since they'll know much more about it). ;)

Not sure why, but in my current game I can view ALL other civs' city management screens on my continent? Now, I do have a few civs as vassals, but I can see the rest of the civs city management screens as well? Any ideas why? I've never really noticed this before. :confused:

Maybe your espionage with those other powers is so good that you can view their cities, as well as their technology research and their building progress.

I think if you also own the holy city and its shrine for those civs' religion, your espionage visibility into their cities is considerably enhanced. Is that the case in your game?

Hey i was wondering how the workers is most useful, as i feel like i am missing something

okay, so mostly i build a worker as my first unit. I tell him to build improvements on key resources like stone or wheat (whatever i have the requiret technology for). onces that is done i have no idea what to do with my worker unit whatsoever. I usually start filling out empty tiles with improvements but thats not gonna do me any good since i can only work 2-3 tiles at the begining anyway. I mean, tiles with improvents on don't do anything that "clean" tiles doesn't unless they are being worked right?

also i sometimes start building roads from resources to my city but i don't know why? i mean, i am getting the benefits from the resouces anyway as long as they are inside my border so why would i build roads from them to my city?

is there something i am missing that the workers can do?

I mean, tiles with improvents on don't do anything that "clean" tiles doesn't unless they are being worked right?
Yep. I'm still fighting the temptation of improving every tile in my capital early even when it can't work all the tiles.

also i sometimes start building roads from resources to my city but i don't know why? i mean, i am getting the benefits from the resouces anyway as long as they are inside my border so why would i build roads from them to my city?
You connect the resources, which is different from working the tile bonus. You can get happiness, health, production bonuses, and access to units. Those need improvements with roads (or with Sailing just be on a river with the improvement connected to your city).

is there something i am missing that the workers can do?
They can build forts, which can also connect resources inside your borders with a road. Forts can also function as canals when connected to a city. They can also chop forests to accelerate production. And if they've got nothing else to do, just road up your empire to facilitate easy transport and to have backup roads in case of war.

Lurker for quite a while, but now i need some help.

I just downloaded marx&engles's 34 civ map, but I only get to choose 18 civs. I know the problem is fixed with lt. bob's dll, but I don't know where to put it, and I'm also not sure where to put the folder containing the map itself (custommaps, mods, or custommods). Also, do I just leave the dll where it is, in assets? Or do I move that somewhere else as well?

Yep. I'm still fighting the temptation of improving every tile in my capital early even when it can't work all the tiles.

It can be useful to improve more tiles than you can currently work for several reasons. Two come immediately to mind:

1. If you have tiles with different improvements, you can switch among them depending on the current needs of the city. For example: a mine, a cottage, and a farm

2. If you have several unused tiles improved in a growing city and you found another city, you can send the worker to the new city to improve it, rather than producing another worker immediately.

If two people found the same religion at the same time as each other who is the original founder?

As a "turn-based strategy game", two civilizations cannot simultaneously complete the tech to found a religion. The human player is always player 1 and completes every turn first. So if you have 1 turn left to complete the tech, you've won the race for the religion.

When you press "end turn", your tech is compiled ... if its enough to get you a tech you get it; if nobody else has it and there is a bonus for being first such as founding a religion, you get it. (note: After the tech, your production is compiled, so if you complete the Oracle or on the same turn, that is built AFTER you have already gotten the tech, and you get to choose a free tech that is beyond the one you just learned the hard way.) After all this is done, the AI turn begins. They might contact you with diplomatic requests/demands... then they complete their turn and their research is compiled, they finish second in the tech race or World Wonder build race, even if it all happens very fast after you hitted end-turn, so it "feels like" its still your turn, but its not. Then the next AI goes, then the next, etc. There are no ties. (Simultaneous turns Multiplayer mode is the only exception to this, and there ties are settled differently - basically who clicks fastest and/or has the faster internet connection).

It can be useful to improve more tiles than you can currently work for several reasons. Two come immediately to mind:

1. If you have tiles with different improvements, you can switch among them depending on the current needs of the city. For example: a mine, a cottage, and a farm

2. If you have several unused tiles improved in a growing city and you found another city, you can send the worker to the new city to improve it, rather than producing another worker immediately.

I recognize that. What I meant was improving tiles far in excess of that.

Thought this was strange, but in my current game I am able to view ALL the civs City Management Screens on my continent? This does include the civs that ARE NOT my vassals? I've never noticed this before...BUG or is this normal? :confused:

Forts can also function as canals when connected to a city.

Okay, this one is new to me...forts can be made into canals when connected to a city? How does this work exactly? What does it mean, "when connected to a city?"
Please explain how this works, I'm fascinated by the idea. Does the fort have to be right on the waters edge? can it be in a tile or two?

If you have three tiles of land with sea on either side, you can create a canal like this:
[F][C][F]
where S is sea, F is a fort, C is a city. I think you can even do it diagonally.

Okay, this one is new to me...forts can be made into canals when connected to a city? How does this work exactly? What does it mean, "when connected to a city?"
Please explain how this works, I'm fascinated by the idea. Does the fort have to be right on the waters edge? can it be in a tile or two?

I have no idea what "when connected to a city" means in that regard.

How it works: A ship can enter a fort if it's 1) within your cultural borders 2) next (diagonally works as well) to a body of water, either coast or a freshwater lake. Same rules for a city, so you can't make a 3-wide canal by having a city surrounded by 2 forts as the middle tile is not next to a body of water.

Maybe your espionage with those other powers is so good that you can view their cities, as well as their technology research and their building progress.

Ahhh espionage, that makes sense. I certainly haven't sent any spies out, but I must have some good amount of points accumulated against those civs.

Thanx!

Well, forts allow the entering of naval units while on the margin of a water tile, as cities do. This means that, as long as all the tiles in question are next to a water tile ( the water tiles in question don't need to be connected though ) you can build a canal using forts and/or cities.

Some examples can be found here or here ( I like the second source second example a lot :D )

I have no idea what "when connected to a city" means in that regard.

How it works: A ship can enter a fort if it's 1) within your cultural borders 2) next (diagonally works as well) to a body of water, either coast or a freshwater lake. Same rules for a city, so you can't make a 3-wide canal by having a city surrounded by 2 forts as the middle tile is not next to a body of water.
Oh, you can't? I remember reading something that said otherwise. I hope someone else can confirm.

A canal can basically be up to 2 tiles in length in any direction with some type of open water (lake or coast, not river) at either end. The canal tiles can either be forts and/or cities. Thus, you can have two adjacent tiles improved with "Fort+Fort" or "City+Fort" act as a canal (i.e. ships can sail through those tiles).

With lakes, you can sometimes build a complex sequence of forts and cities to allow the passage of ships through a land mass. This can be very handy for quick naval deployments, so much so that I often place markers on the map to plan canals far in advance.

Top Bottom