Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Try "C:\Program Files (x86)\Firaxis Games\Sid Meier's Civilization... \Beyond the Sword\Beyond the Sword.exe"

Make a short cut on your desktop by dragging the file there and clicking "make shortcut here" or something to that effect.

It just says "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file..."

It just says "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file..."
An ".exe" file? Are you positive that you found the right folder? I'm not sure about Civ Complete, but an "exe" file is an "exe" file...

how do you allow others to download your own mods/scenarios?

So--sorry for the various divergences herein, but I have a question and some comments.

First, every time I have a question about Civ, I google it. Every freakin' time, they send me to civ fanatics first :) You are an awesome bunch of committed folks. And a bit, well, fanatical :) Love it.

Question: What is "domination limit" in regard to population? I am currently playing on noob difficulty on a dual world. I have three cities; opponent seems to have one. Do I intuit correctly that this has something to do with my population relative to his? (I have searched these largish forums, no doubt incompletely, but the answers I get are more high-level than I can utilize right now). I don't understand why the game is complaining about my population, if I can (seemingly) support it with appropriate food production, etc.

Question: Why can't I find anything about in in Civopedia in-game? No doubt I just haven't learned to navigate it yet.

Question: Why is my Civopedia called "Sevopedia"? (I don't have mods installed, except for BUG and BAT, I believe).

Question: How does one find one's way into this game? I am hooked, I think, but I don't know that I will remain hooked. I've been trying big, epic games on a higher difficulty than my knowledge/talent allows, hence the noob difficulty/dual world scenario currently in play. Shall I do a few of those before trying Rise of Man on epic timespan and gigantic world? Huh? Huh?

Anyway, I'm pleased to be a part of this community, even though at the moment I'm rather a leacher and not an offerer. Thank you.

Question: Why can't I find anything about in in Civopedia in-game? No doubt I just haven't learned to navigate it yet.
Press F12 in game.

Question: Why is my Civopedia called "Sevopedia"? (I don't have mods installed, except for BUG and BAT, I believe).
It's an improved 'pedia written by Sevo, et al. It's present in many mods, including BUG and BAT.

Question: How does one find one's way into this game? I am hooked, I think, but I don't know that I will remain hooked. I've been trying big, epic games on a higher difficulty than my knowledge/talent allows, hence the noob difficulty/dual world scenario currently in play. Shall I do a few of those before trying Rise of Man on epic timespan and gigantic world? Huh? Huh?
Play, play, play, and then play some more. Also, check out some of the strategy guides available right here on CFC.

Anyway, I'm pleased to be a part of this community, even though at the moment I'm rather a leacher and not an offerer. Thank you.
Welcome. :)

Question: What is "domination limit" in regard to population? I am currently playing on noob difficulty on a dual world. I have three cities; opponent seems to have one. Do I intuit correctly that this has something to do with my population relative to his? (I have searched these largish forums, no doubt incompletely, but the answers I get are more high-level than I can utilize right now). I don't understand why the game is complaining about my population, if I can (seemingly) support it with appropriate food production, etc.
The domination limit is the amount of pop/land you need in order to win a domination victory (you need to pass both to do so). So it's not complaining - you're just close to winning! It does seem though you can't win a domination in the first couple of turns (I think its 10-20, maybe more). Basically, there is no limit to how high your population can grow, as long as you have sufficient food.

You will most probably be hooked, and if you get bored it will be temporary and you'll inevitably come back to it! If you want to have a change and a challenge when you're new, try a game with standard size on noble difficulty (probably normal speed too, but that's up to you really). At this level, you and the AI are level pegging in terms of bonuses, so techs/units and stuff cost the same for everyone (below this you get bonuses and above the AI get more.)
This might give you a good feel as to where you're heading and what you may need to adjust because on lower difficulties you can get away with some bad plays.
If you're up for a new experience try out a mod - it's up to you but it may be a good idea instead to get a fair grasp of the basics of the regular game before trying a different style huge epic game.
But above all, play to a style and game that you enjoy :)

how do you allow others to download your own mods/scenarios?

how do you use the spoilers when inserting an image? Like how there's a post, some text and then below it says spoiler and you have to click it to see the pic? Also, does it have to be from a url, I thought UL on my comp works as well? I really don't wanna go sign-up on one of those image-hosting sites and put them there (unless if there is no other choice:p)

Use the spoiler tag (no spaces)

[ spoiler ] text [ / spoiler ]

You need to sign up to an image hoster. Try photobucket or something similar.

how do you use the spoilers when inserting an image? Like how there's a post, some text and then below it says spoiler and you have to click it to see the pic? Also, does it have to be from a url, I thought UL on my comp works as well? I really don't wanna go sign-up on one of those image-hosting sites and put them there (unless if there is no other choice:p)

[spоiler][іmg]image-url[/іmg][/spоiler]

It has to be a url. Use imageshack (no sign-up) to upload images from your comp.

Two questions:

What causes a corporate executive to fail to spread the corp? I'm occasionally seeing "Your X Executive has failed to expand X into Y." It's not a problem with too little gold in the treasury.

Is it possible to know the chance of revolt for an AI city? If I know my % culture, the AI's % culture, and the number of AI units in the city, what's the % chance of revolt? Is this known?

Thanks in advance.

For corporations, I think the game mechanic is similar to religion, where pre-existing corporations in a city decrease the successful chances of other corps spreading there. Based upon my experience, the odds of a successful spread are better if the corps in question do not compete for resources.

To see the chance of revolt in an AI city you would need to have enough espionage points (EPs) to open the city screen and, thereby, hover your mouse over the culture bar as you would in your own city. I can't recall if I've ever tried this, however...

To see the chance of revolt in an AI city you would need to have enough espionage points (EPs) to open the city screen and, thereby, hover your mouse over the culture bar as you would in your own city. I can't recall if I've ever tried this, however...
Related question: If you send a spy to that city for a sleepover, does the EP cost to see the revolt chance go down like it does for some other spy missions?

Why?

Sorry, I was babysitting; it's contagious.

because 'see research' and 'investigate city' etc are passive missions. stationary spies reduce cost for missions carried out by the spy

Stupid me. Newbie-like goof. Please help!!

I think this is maybe the 2nd time I have ever seen this quest in my long-time paly of the game.

I got the holy mountain quest. Built the monestaries, etc. and eventually, the game showed me where the mountain was. It was a long way off in an enexplored part of the map. Finally built caravels and sent off toward that direction - with explorers. Just built a Galeon and settler & protection and am sending off that way.

Trouble is that there are a number of mountains in that area. Is there any way to tell exactly which one it is? Or do I just have to build cities next to the mountains until I get the reward?? I've tried pointing the cursor at the ones I've discovered and all they seem to say is "peak - impassable".

And for next time, what should I have done??

For next time on the holy mountain quest you can put a note on the map with Alt-S I believe so you can make sure to settle next to the right one.

I don't believe there is any way in the game to tell which mountain it is. (with some mods (the BUFFY mod I believe) The game does put up notes automatically for most of the random events. So it would mark which mine was producing tin for example automatically. I'm not sure if it auto marks the holy mountain for you.

If you open the event log and scroll back to the announcement, clicking on the announcement might center the view on the right plot. Most of the things in the event lot that refer to a specific place will do this.

Top Bottom