Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Hello Fizz'l

I may be mistaken, but I believe that London and Paris are technically on different continents (i.e. landmasses) and the three square rule therefore doesn't apply.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Hello Fizz'l

I may be mistaken, but I believe that London and Paris are technically on different continents (i.e. landmasses) and the three square rule therefore doesn't apply.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Thanks. That is what I thought was going on, but I wasn't sure.

In the world map, London and Paris are spaced two squares apart, but this is normally not allowed. What is the mechanic which is allowing it in this case?
Different landmass

When exchanging World Maps with an AI in a way that would allow both to complete the circumnavigation requirement at the same time, who gets to prove the world is round?

In a tie, I think it goes by player order (so usually the human player has the advantage)

I am playing on Monarch. I note that coal plant states 'Provides power with coal (+2 :yuck:)', but my cities are getting +4:yuck: from power. Is this something to do with the factory, which states '+2 :yuck: from coal,oil'?

To be honest, that stuff has always confused me too, even while using BUG ( a mod that makes information more easily accessible). It looks like it's supposed to be +2 ill-health, but it's actually 4, and 6(?) if you have both oil and coal? The whole thing is a bit iffy, and I usually get surprised because cities get more :yuck: than they are' supposed' to.

Power - whatever its source, Coal, hydro, nuke, 3GD - always provides 2 :yuck:
If you have a Coal Plant, there's an additional 2 :yuck:
(I think) once you get Combustion, there's an additional 2 :yuck: from a Coal Plant from Oil.

So clean energy saves you either 2:yuck: or 4:yuck: (depending if you have Oil).

EDIT: The additional +2:yuck: from Oil comes from the Factory, not the Coal Plant.

So:
Factory:
1:yuck:
2:yuck: from Coal
2:yuck: from Oil
Potentially 5:yuck: total

Power:
2:yuck:, or 4:yuck: if the Power comes from a Coal Plant.

Last edited:
In a tie, I think it goes by player order (so usually the human player has the advantage)
In my current game Willie got the bonus before he had either Optics or Paper. I'm assuming he traded with AIs from the "other" continent who had both and was before them in turn order. Later, he wanted 500 gold for his map (I had Paper). Then I attacked him. After a bit, he was willing to give me his 250 in gold plus his 6 gpt along with his capitulation but not his map. So after I took his capitulation I demanded his map in tribute and he gave it to me. Wonderful AI logic.

I assume this is based on human player starting with the 1st turn as default, no?

—> So if you took an extra turn or two at the beginning of the game to pick a different spot for your capital city, the tie would go to the AI now, yes? Since you are essentially at the back of the line now (?).

Turn order doesn't change once the game's started, and the human player is always first in the turn order. If you spend a turn or two moving before settling your first city that's just what you spend your first turn or two doing. You're not behind in turn order, you're behind in terms of growth curve (though presumably settled a spot that will make up the difference in short order).

Actually I can't vouch for that being the case if you're playing a scenario as a leader other than the one in slot 0, I suppose, but than I don't know if that really changes anything either. I suspect not, but you never know.

Power - whatever its source, Coal, hydro, nuke, 3GD - always provides 2 :yuck:
If you have a Coal Plant, there's an additional 2 :yuck:
(I think) once you get Combustion, there's an additional 2 :yuck: from a Coal Plant from Oil.

So clean energy saves you either 2:yuck: or 4:yuck: (depending if you have Oil).

EDIT: The additional +2:yuck: from Oil comes from the Factory, not the Coal Plant.

So:
Factory:
1:yuck:
2:yuck: from Coal
2:yuck: from Oil
Potentially 5:yuck: total

Power:
2:yuck:, or 4:yuck: if the Power comes from a Coal Plant.

Thanks! That's a great explanation of a rather convoluted game mechanic.

I've just checked, and the +2 :yuck: from coal and from oil show up as '+4 :yuck: from Bonuses' when you hover over the health calculation in the city screen (but only in a city with a factory). If you pillage your mines and wells, these disappear.

It also explains why some of my cities suddenly got inexplicably less healthy - I thought I must have lost a health resource, but in reality it probably just happened when I hooked up my oil.

EDIT: if you build an industrial park you get slugged an extra +1 :yuck: from coal and from oil, on top of the base +2 :yuck: the building gives you, for a potential total of + 14 :yuck: (4 from buildings, 4 from power if using coal, 6 from bonuses).

Last edited:
Hello folks,

do the aggressive AI/raging barbarians modes affect the AI and their play with each other? Or do barbarians/AI just act more aggresively towards the player? I'd really like to experience a chaotic world war type game.

Kind regards,
Ita Bear

Suryavarman DoWed me out of the blue - I didn't see any WHEOOHRN (though I might have missed it if it was only for a couple of turns).

More importantly, he didn't have any army - just a lone archer that was out exploring and seemed to wander into my territory. Does anyone know under what circumstances this sort of thing happens.

Also! We made peace, and he's just started plotting, but we are still in a peace treaty. Does that mean that I cannot be the target??

If he just started then yes you cannot be the target. AIs can be bought into a war vs you by someone else. They wouldn't be plotting beforehand. If they are your only contact you also wouln't be able to see that they are pltting evenif they are.

If he just started then yes you cannot be the target. AIs can be bought into a war vs you by someone else. They wouldn't be plotting beforehand. If they are your only contact you also wouln't be able to see that they are pltting evenif they are.
Well in that case I cannot be the target, as we signed the peace treaty, then some 5-7 turns later he started plotting :)

Suryavarman DoWed me out of the blue - I didn't see any WHEOOHRN (though I might have missed it if it was only for a couple of turns).

More importantly, he didn't have any army - just a lone archer that was out exploring and seemed to wander into my territory. Does anyone know under what circumstances this sort of thing happens.
Sounds like you were a victim of the rare dagger. I don't understand it fully, but there is some code attached to the dagger. The fist probably did pop up at least a turn before he attacked.

Top Bottom