Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Sounds like you were a victim of the rare dagger. I don't understand it fully, but there is some code attached to the dagger. The fist probably did pop up at least a turn before he attacked.

Okay that makes sense. Presumably the dagger is more effective if the AI's army consists of more than a lone archer :crazyeye:. DanF5771's discussion in the below link suggests that daggers don't plot ('Daggers never prepare!' - point 21 half way down the page).

Is there any logic to an AI DoW? | Page 5 | CivFanatics Forums

Can anyone tell me how to determine whether Mansa Musa is on the map on turn 1. I know it has something to do with soldier numbers, but can't find the exact figures anywhere. Also, can the trick be used for the Babylonian empire, or does the soldier numbers only go on the "strength" of the unit?

Can anyone tell me how to determine whether Mansa Musa is on the map on turn 1. I know it has something to do with soldier numbers, but can't find the exact figures anywhere. Also, can the trick be used for the Babylonian empire, or does the soldier numbers only go on the "strength" of the unit?
Depends on the difficulty level.

Deity:
  • 30k soldiers is Mali
  • 28k soldiers is Babylon
  • 26k soldiers is civs starting with mining
  • 24k soldiers is civs starting without mining
Immortal:
  • 26k soldiers is Mali
  • 24k soldiers is Babylon
  • 21k soldiers is civs starting with wheel
  • 19k soldiers is civs starting with mining
  • 17k soldiers is civs starting without wheel or mining
This discrepancy arises because deity adds wheel to every AI. Don't know the exact numbers for lower difficulties, but the logic should remain the same.

edit: so the starting soldier count depends on both starting units (depends on difficulty level) and starting techs (which also causes differences between difficulty levels).

Last edited:
Thanks! I typically play on Monarch or Emperor, so I might just set up a couple of duel maps to work out the figures on these difficulty levels.

Hey peoples,

I really want to MP with my friend, but we can't nearly make it. We both have the BAT mod using the same version of the game and the mod. is it even possible to play with another person? We want to play standard map with 2 people and 5 AIs if this is relevant, I know MP has a lot of problems and i am not sure how can we resolve them and how can we make it work.

Any help will be very appreciated!

It is possible to play MP. With only 2 players there shouldn't really be much of an issue.

It would help if you describe what specifically is not working.

Only the Hot seat option is working. we want to do net or any of the other options cause hot seat is annoying and we have to share one PC, one monitor and 2 mouses- it's just a bit too uncomfortable.
Also his game is from steam while mine is not- maybe that's the problem?

You are still not telling us what isn't working. Can't open a game, can't connect, don't see someone elses game, game crashes?

Only the Hot seat option is working. we want to do net or any of the other options cause hot seat is annoying and we have to share one PC, one monitor and 2 mouses- it's just a bit too uncomfortable.
Also his game is from steam while mine is not- maybe that's the problem?
Steam may be the problem. Your friend should change it to the Beta version in properties. Otherwise, his assets will be slightly different. ( I suggest he do a complete reinstall first - delete files - then switch it to BETA-original release)

Yall could try PBEM, or try setting up a Pitboss game. You might ask over in the MP forum for guidance.

Have never tried multiplayer, but seem to recall somebody saying, possibly Lemon, that BAT had issues with MP play?

Fogbusting: so borders don't count as units when it comes to fogbusting? When my city borders expand next turn there will be a barb archer on the :rice:. I have seen the hills and grassland for many turns without sighting the barb archer so he must have spawned in the foggy jungle or on the :rice: itself. But I thought my borders fogbusted those tiles? Can only units fogbust 2 tiles in every direction, not borders?

upload_2022-1-20_15-51-37.png

Can only units fogbust 2 tiles in every direction, not borders?
I believe this is correct. A tile that is neither visible or within 2 tiles of a unit can spawn barbs.

Barbs cannot spawn in vision or within 2 tiles of an existing unit. Any unit including other barbs. The jungle tiles in the screenshot do not fulfill either condition so barbs can spawn there.

Yep, borders do not affect barb spawn, except for the tiles made visible by them.

Am playing world 18civ map on Emperor and an AI just built the Manhattan Project. What is the chance of them using nukes on me? (e.g. if I attack them without nukes, will they nuke me?)

Yes, AI uses nukes liberally. I have seen them both nuke my cities but also nuke my stack which is much worse.

Top Bottom