Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Ok. That's good to know. I guess I'll build a bunch of bunkers then :)

Edit: I just realized none of the AI players have rocketry left, so it's just me that can make nukes for now. :D

Last edited:
Yes. I installed it from the disks as a local administrator and it works fine.

I've tried that and it's still not working for me, even after trying the compatibility mode.
When I launch the game I receive an error message from Windows saying that it is not possible to run the program because it may cause security or performance problems.

I've tried that and it's still not working for me, even after trying the compatibility mode.
When I launch the game I receive an error message from Windows saying that it is not possible to run the program because it may cause security or performance problems.
Did you use the latest patch that removes the CD check requirement?

Is there a way to change default camera angle and zoom? I hate setting it up everytime I load a game.

Is there a way to change default camera angle and zoom? I hate setting it up everytime I load a game.
You can do this with the BUG mod. There is a bar in the top right corner of the screen, where you can change the zoom level. The default is 42 I believe, and I prefer to stick to that, but you can increase it to 70 or whatever for a much wider view, or less than 42 for a more zoomed in view.

I think that sticks between saves and loads, but am not 100% sure since I usually keep it at default anyway. Many other great benefits with the BUG mod too, so I'd look up that :)

So I've reduced Native America from 15 to 4 cities, I have >10 times his power, but he still thinks he's "doing just fine on [his] own". What gives? (note he has one vassal with 5 cities). I have 45 cities btw.

So I've reduced Native America from 15 to 4 cities, I have >10 times his power, but he still thinks he's "doing just fine on [his] own". What gives? (note he has one vassal with 5 cities). I have 45 cities btw.
SB has the highest resistance to Capitulation, but it's the vassal that is probably the problem at this point. The vassal could break free soon.

SB has the highest resistance to Capitulation, but it's the vassal that is probably the problem at this point. The vassal could break free soon.
Good to know. The vassal did actually break free the next turn and they both capitulated.

Another question about capitulation. Why do I sometimes get "surely you must be joking" as a reason for not capitulating? It happened with Pacal in my last game, and remained even when he just had one city left, and it was obvious my army could wipe him out that turn.

Good to know. The vassal did actually break free the next turn and they both capitulated.

Another question about capitulation. Why do I sometimes get "surely you must be joking" as a reason for not capitulating? It happened with Pacal in my last game, and remained even when he just had one city left, and it was obvious my army could wipe him out that turn.
This post from this fine lady might prove helpful

This post from this fine lady might prove helpful
Thanks. That explains things exactly. I'm pretty sure that I did take a couple of his cities before (along with a bunch of units), but there was an intervening period, including a few turns of peace, so maybe the previous war success decayed.

If I'm not mistaken, if you made peace or ceasefire, you lose all war success. (I actually use ceasefire quite often with harder nuts to crack)

Peace of any kind will wipe the war success slate clean, yeah. Ceasefire tactics usually revolve around chipping away at a target while keeping their unit building to a minimum, and not necessarily when you are trying to cap them outright. It helps a lot in early conflict, since you're unlikely to build up a lot of negative diplo from the greater field (except with the target, obviously) and you can't cap them anyway.

You can use ceasefires later to hamstring a developed AI before you are truly ready to push them over though, or to manipulate the position of their stack to an extent while you build up a hammerblow.

Trade over ocean tiles.

I know in general you need Astronomy to trade over ocean tiles, but if the ocean tile is in your cultural border, is it possible to trade without it? E.g. In the picture below, and lacking Astronomy, can I (Carthage) potentially trade with an AI civ living on the landmass to the South?

upload_2022-3-13_21-19-9.png

Settle a city between corn and pigs and it will be connected to trade network.

Top Bottom