1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Photobucket has changed its policy concerning hotlinking images and now requires an account with a $399.00 annual fee to allow hotlink. More information is available at: this link.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  6. Dismiss Notice
  7. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. claudiupb

claudiupb Chieftain

You get a minimum of 2:c5food: 1:c5production:, even if the tile will not normally give that. For example a desert flat tile does not provide any yield but with a city it will provide 2:c5food: 1:c5production:; a hill tile provides 2:c5production: but with a city will provide 2:c5food:2:c5production:; grassland with wine provides 2:c5food:2:c5gold:, but with a city you get 2:c5food:1:c5production:2:c5gold:.
    The tile under the city is not improved, so you won't get the benefits of a mine if you settle on hill, or a farm on grassland, etc. But having the city on strategic/luxuries will connect them to the empire.

The city also counts as an improvement for buildings which require the tile to be improved. For example a city on horses can build the Circus, a city on Iron can build Forge and will get the +1:c5production: for the city tile.

2. beetle

beetle Chieftain

@Equilin, the only real buff you can give a city is to settle on a hill. Everything else (flat desert/grassland/plain/tundra) gives 2 food, 1 hammer to the city center. People settle on lux because it unlocks the happy quicker, but that usually means one less tile to work (all game long). An exception is desert lux (incense on desert, for example) where, even after being improved, the tile is not good enough to work.

3. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

I already posted this yesterday on another thread on ST subforum but since no-one seems to be reading it anymore i will repost it here. Sorry!

How does this bulbing really work? If I remember correctly it is written that you should select tech so you wont waste beakers. However this happened in my last game
    1. I researched scifi theory and bulbed without selecting next tech. Then I selected electricity and it had one turn left to research. Then I reloaded because of this mistake

2. After researching scifi theory i selected electricity and bulbed. It had now 2 turns left to research. No I see option 1 wasnt mistake afterall

I thought it was supposed to work vice versa?

4. psparky

psparky Chieftain

It's Research Agreements where it's desirable to have a tech queued up, because otherwise overflow beakers are allocated to a tech selected by the game, which never seems to be the one you would have chosen. With bulbing, the overflow is not allocated to a tech until the next turn, so it's not important to have one queued before bulbing.

With bulbing, the thing to beware of is the overflow cap, which can result in lost beakers.

I would suggest that there is some other factor at work in what you saw. Maybe post a save?

5. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

I spotted two bugs in my current game. The first is really annoying: I cannot capture a city because it has another AI unit in it (=America captured an Shoshone city but for some reason the Shoshone worker is in the American city). Interestingly I can bombard it as long as I dont use rightclick but I cannot capture the city without declaring war on the Shoshone which I want to avoid... Is there any way to resolve this to capture the city without declaring war on the Shoshone?

Other one is just interesting. Apparently the AI is allowed to plop cities 3 tiles from each other:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2017
  6. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

The second is not a bug -- any player (including the human player) can settle cities 3 tiles apart (i.e., separated by two intervening tiles) if the two cities are on separate land masses, as is the case in your screenshot.

The first is kind of a mixed bug -- If the Shoshone have open borders with American, a worker could be sitting there, but it is buggy that the Shoshone worker just hangs out there indefinitely.

7. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

Thank you for the answer - I did not know that landmass rule.

The Shoshone and America are at war so that worker should not be sitting there. Any idea how to make them move? (it would be fine if the Shoshone recaptured the city but they are so lame they cannot make it happen even if I bombard the city to 0.)

8. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Sorry, I've played way more hours of Civ V than I care to admit, but don't ever recall having that situation.

9. psparky

psparky Chieftain

You could try bribing either of them to make peace with each other, might move the unit out of borders.

Or you could try the In-Game Editor mod (IGE) and try to delete the unit.

10. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

Well afaik units cannot stay in another civ's cities (but prob can walk through) with the exception of capturing so it's probably a bug.

11. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

So after 5 or so turns the worker moved away and I could capture the city. Still very odd. It must be a bug. It was originally Shoshone city and Americans captured it - so the worker should have been captured in the city OR if outside then it should not be able to move inside.

12. beetle

beetle Chieftain

If you trade away a city with your units in it, they can sit there. That does not quite explain this bug though. Are you playing GnK or BNW?

13. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

Do you get free settlers only in settler level as shoshone? How about free workers?

Is general consesus here that selling useless cities to AI because of happiness problem is scheatin? I consider it scheating and I know Im right

14. Bretwalda

Bretwalda Chieftain

You get a free settler as a Liberty social policy - but I am not sure what you mean - please be more specific.

I do not think anything that you play with AI should be considered cheating - anyway you play for fun, right?

15. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

I mean from ancient ruins. You can select settler from them in settler difficulty. Is it only in settler level or also prince? Other civs get settlers randomly from them

Edit: I play for pain and all loopholes make me sick

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  16. Equilin

Equilin Chieftain

I think it's settler and cheiftain, not sure.
    Ofc all civs can get it, Shoshone only gets to choose (still very very good)

17. DonCarecone

DonCarecone Chieftain

Only Roads and Railroads have costs. Farms, mines, pasture , etc. doesnt have costs.

Exploring a luxury resource, connecting a city to the capital, establishing trade routes. There are others less evident but u will find out!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2017 at 8:49 AM