1. We have added the ability to collapse/expand forum categories and widgets on forum home.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. All Civ avatars are brought back and available for selection in the Avatar Gallery! There are 945 avatars total.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. To make the site more secure, we have installed SSL certificates and enabled HTTPS for both the main site and forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Civ6 is released! Order now! (Amazon US | Amazon UK | Amazon CA | Amazon DE | Amazon FR)
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Dismiss Notice
  6. Forum account upgrades are available for ad-free browsing.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Questions and Answers

Discussion in 'Civ5 - General Discussions' started by ori, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

Most likely the Tradition policy Oligarchy, pursuant to which "Garrisoned units cost no maintenance and cities with a garrison gain +50% :c5rangedstrength: Ranged Combat Strength." Per unit maintenance costs rise as the game moves along, making the late-game Oligarchy savings all the more substantial.

2. Herocrafter

Herocrafter Chieftain

Yes, how'd I miss that. Gave it thought but dismissed as an early game gold saving perk, oh how wrong I was. Thanks for taking the time away from the college bowl games to reply!

3. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

I have a question about experience of units.How can see exactly the experience of a unit(28,36,45 examples)? In Civ IV is very simple,the level of a unit,experience,next level are shown.

4. beetle

beetle Chieftain

@catalin72, if you mouse-over the experience bar of one your units, there will be a pop showing level, current experience, and experience needed for the next level.

5. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

Thank you,I see now,a blue line.

6. mrjacksplat

mrjacksplat Chieftain

First time with Gods and Kings so if I use a Missionary on a city state can it eventually totally change over to my religeon and give me all the benefits that one of my cities do?

7. Browd

Not all of the benefits. Any benefits that accrue only to the city in which the religion appears will accrue only to the CS itself. Any benefits (like certain founder beliefs) that give the religion founder benefits from followers of your religion in foreign cities (or in CS cities specifically) will accrue to you. So, what you get depends on what beliefs you have, and the results vary by specific beliefs.

8. mrjacksplat

mrjacksplat Chieftain

Thank you so much

9. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

10. mrjacksplat

mrjacksplat Chieftain

PROMOTIONS !! Okay I've been promoting my archers and crossbows up the wazoo...lol I select the "cover from attacks" anyway HOW LONG til I get the OPTION to shoot twice???? I'm on turn 155 and I want it bad..
    Is there a particular order to get that? Or just more experience and if so how much..signed Frustrated!

11. Browd

You are looking for the Logistics promotion, which for archers, xbows, etc. is available after you have either of the following:

Accuracy III
    Barrage III

Typically players will beeline down either the Accuracy or Barrage path. Bouncing around to take both sets of promotions, or choosing Cover and Medic promotions, will just make it take longer to get to Logistics. The utility of March (available after Accuracy II or Barrage II) is debatable, since it does allow a ranged unit to remain in combat a bit longer before retreating to heal, thereby accumulating more XP before pausing to heal, but it also drives up the cost (and time) to get Logistics.

12. mrjacksplat

mrjacksplat Chieftain

So I just Save the promotions?? I didn't know you could do that!

13. Browd

No, you don't save promotions. Just don't take the wrong promotions. If you want Logistics for an Archer, for example, beeline your promotions -- e.g., first take Accuracy I, then Accuracy II, then Accuracy III, and then Logistics -- 4 promotions.

If you don't care how long it takes to get to Logistics, feel free to wander aimlessly around the promotion tree -- first taking Accuracy I, then Barrage I, then Accuracy II, then Barrage II, then Cover I, then March (at this point, you're at 6 promotions and counting) -- churning through massive amounts of XP (without -- in this example -- getting around to taking one of the two promotions that unlocks Logistics).

14. BlackWizard

BlackWizard Chieftain

Yes but you can save promotions if you select it from advanced options

15. Browd

Saving promotions is irrelevant to his question. First, saving promotions doesn't earn you XP any faster, so you always need the same amount of XP to get to Logistics, whether you save promotions or not.

Second, you can save all the promotions you like, but if you select the wrong promotions when you do select promotions, you still won't get to Logistics.

16. julian_nkns

julian_nkns Chieftain

Hi guys

I'm new to the Civ world and I love it. I just have one question because I can't build atomic bombs. I researched everything and have the manhatten project. (it was a wonder, right?) and I see it on the map. Atomic bombs os still greyed out and it sais I have to build the manhatten project which I already have... it bothers me.