1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

RAND 1.76 Balancing and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Rise of Mankind: A New Dawn' started by Afforess, Oct 27, 2010.

1. baha

baha Chieftain

I have the feeling that in 1.75beta4 secular civic is too weak. State church gives me 20% on great person and a building bonus for the cities. Secular only gives 25% culture. As we have fixed borders, the culture bonus is not so important. Shouldn't secular give some sort of science bonus, like it was before? I mean by going secular, there is no religious oppresion towards science.

2. Stelmack

Stelmack Chieftain

Secular civic is defenitly too weak with the new future tech.

Also, I'm not cure of courthouses are giving me money or taking away, as they show a -in both maintenance and in actual: cash flow.

3. Dancing Hoskuld

Dancing Hoskuld Warlord

I have noticed this on a number of buildings that are supposed to reduce maintenance. Is it an error in the "actual" calculation? Or is the real calculation done coming up with a real decrease in income? I have been assuming it was an error and I was actually getting the positive of the value shown.

4. Cykur

Cykur Chieftain

I think it is a bit much if you add additional bonuses for the different resources. You are already limiting what units can be built by resource availability. Obsidian can make a couple units. Copper can make a few more. Iron can make the best units and will ultimately have a huge advantage. Giving an additional benefit is unnecessary, because balance is already in place by the resources dictating what units can be made.

Fall From Heaven had a good system where the same kind of unit could be more powerful based on the type of weapons it used, bronze vs iron vs mithril. But there were much fewer units in a more static fantasy world.

5. JosEPh_II

JosEPh_II TBS WarLord

Religious oppression towards science is a myth and has been pointed out repeatedly and discussed over the last several years repeatedly. There is no hard evidence that Secular is superior in science.

Also Culture Was being strangled by the Civics and some of the "Features/Options" like Fixed Borders.

You need to let go of the past (old school CIV IV) and embrace the future. ;)

JosEPh :)

6. Stelmack

Stelmack Chieftain

Oh, I totally forgot to mention. I'm not sure when all of the unique units were removed, but atleast the models still remain. Like say, English Longbowmen are named Longbowman 1 (London) (English Longbowman) and have their own title. Same goes for German Tueton Swords.

7. Afforess

Afforess The White Wizard

Are you asking a question or commenting? Yes, I removed the UU's for 1.75, but kept the art, and created a custom way to display their custom name without having 100's of duplicate units.

8. Stelmack

Stelmack Chieftain

More of a comment, and a positive one at that. I like that, it gives nations extra uniqueness without throwing off the balance of things.

Something I just thought of. The ability to climb and found peaks should both be a little further down the techline, if you ask me.

9. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Hmm...I don't really think so. Technologically speaking, it doesn't take much to climb and found cities on peaks, so putting it in a later era may make little sense.

Gameplay speaking, founding cities on peaks is fun, so putting it later would mean I would have to wait later :D

10. DrewBledsoe

DrewBledsoe Veteran QB

Sorry, been too busy to download the beta(s) yet, thanks for the info :)

11. Golden.Pole

Golden.Pole Chieftain

1.There is one feature that would greatly improve RAND. If it is possible, please implement limits on how many units can be build per one resource. It is present in Civ5. For example, if you have one iron you can build 10 swordsmen, if you have one oil you can build 10 tanks, jets, battleships, etc. If it is doable, it would take this mod to another level.

2. It would be great if we could attack AI with the U.N. units without declaring wars.

12. os79

os79 Chieftain

Recommended that you think about UN carefully. UN is not the same as a nation. At least in 2011. Every nation are its own sovereign and treat each other much like settlers in old Wild West of North America did treat each other when there was no rule of law.

13. vincentz

vincentz Programmer

They are peacekeepers!!! ;)

14. Golden.Pole

Golden.Pole Chieftain

I meant to be able to use UN units to defend your friendly states without declaring wars.

15. IndustrialG

IndustrialG Chieftain

Can I suggest adding some of the modern era tracks from civ 3 and/or some rise of nations tracks to new leaders ?

If not is there a way I can edit the soundtracks?

16. Smikis

Smikis Chieftain

use winamp :D?

17. Yoshiegg737

Yoshiegg737 Jungo Jungo

Just put the tracks in the mod with the exact same name as a track in BtS and with the same path to replace that track

Adding an entirely new track without replacing anything takes a bit longer :D

18. flitz

flitz Chieftain

I still think that revolutions are very weak in this mod. Empires are expanding all over the place right from the start without having any problems with uprisings.

19. Smikis

Smikis Chieftain

well, just had/having game, where i decided to go as waring faction( usually i play as science/culture focused empire ) ( just to say empire immortals, those things can take over continent like swarm) playing on monarch difficulty, my warlike faction saw little success early as those javelin trowers cant take cities vs archers, untill i researched immortals ( which i didn't knew i would get, or that they come from that cow tech, forgot the name ) those things had 50% vs archers.. 30 only to produce. my capital was spouting one every turn, my second city one every 2 turns, my third city funny enough got raized by barbarians 2 times now :( , anyway
    one faction managed to make another declare war on me ( well i declared on both factions next to me war couple times now.. grabbing workers. .and research

couple turns latter, first faction eliminated , i instantly went to next one, which was 3 times bigger than previous one.. my army by then huge swarm, ate it in couple turns, next was another small faction on the way to last city of second faction.. gone in 2 turns.. then it was time for strongest faction i had encountered.. that one lasted me a while but was singing in heaven soon enough
    then it was Germany time, had bit travel time to get there.. and they managed to field whole army , which inflicted major casualties to my army, and that was when everything started falling apart, mass revolts.. my 11-12 city empire, at still ancient/early medieval , i was wondering if there is anyone capable to stop me now, even if my immortals gonna get useless i have mounted infantry now.. which we all know kicks ass

now i am 8 cities , lost 5 cities to rebels, which fields bigger army than me, since i had to focus on infrastructure and especially money, since my conquest money can hold just that much when you go -50 every turn at that stage.. sure i will take back those cities eventually but my unstoppable empire , will be just empire

so no... expand at this kinda rate. when you are 12 cities and closest one is on 4.. and then say its too weak :X

20. Cykur

Cykur Chieftain

I am playing a game right now where my starting area was a small group of islands. I am in the Ancient Era still, and it is all I can do to keep the farthest island happy. It hasn't revolted yet, but I have been running the most favorable civics possible and wasting a lot of money on a big garrison.

Revolutions still seems to be working ok, but I may need some more game time to really know for sure....