RAND 1.76 Balancing and Suggestions

Could you get rid of the wooden siege towers once Middle Age has ended (in the animation when attacking a city)? It feels so terribly anachronistic to see your tanks and Marines sided by a wooden tower shooting arrows...

Other than that I have no relevant suggestion to make. ROM - AND is an awesome mod and I have tremendous fun playing it. I cannot thank Zappara, Afforess and all the modders enough for their work and dedication. Thank you guys!!! You're doing an awesome job :hatsoff: I can't wait until 1.76 is out!

1.There is one feature that would greatly improve RAND. If it is possible, please implement limits on how many units can be build per one resource. It is present in Civ5. For example, if you have one iron you can build 10 swordsmen, if you have one oil you can build 10 tanks, jets, battleships, etc. If it is doable, it would take this mod to another level.

I like this idea as well, it would put some additional stress to getting more than one of any resource, instead of trading all those extra ones away. You can build more than allowed but they fight at a disadvantage.

Question on Limited Religions. Are you limited to only founding one religion in the whole game? Or can you found a new one if you lose the holy city? Would you automatically found a new one if you have already researched the tech? If I have been Hindu, then research Education, then lose the holy Hindu city, would Islam get founded the next turn in one of my cities? Can that be made to happen so more of the later religions will get founded as the holy cities are conquered by another civ? Does the technology have to be researched before the religion can be founded or can it be traded to someone and they will found the religion?

Here’s an idea I had with a friend several years ago and that came back to me during the night.

What if, along the course of history, I feel like playing an evil, rogue state, and indulge into some of the worst activities a state can fall into :

* Drug trafficking : would be implemented as illegal resources : poppy, coca… Can’t trade them like normal resources. Given the ‘right’ tech, poppy would give opium would give heroin, coca would give cocain, medical drugs (with pharmacy) would give ecstasy. Selling or diffusing those would hamper other civ’s health, happiness and/or battlefield morale (hey how come there’s still no morale modifiers implemented in AND ? When my troops flee is a good thing : it means they have survived a battle lost).

* Forgery : of money and goods. Don’t know how it should be implemented. The idea is to run a parallel economy, and to hamper on other civs' eco.

* Human trafficking/deportation/genocide : could work like Inquisition. A special unit (Gestapo ?) enabled by a civic (fascism) would allow you to reduce the numbers of a given community inside a city, reducing the probability of revolt but as well giving a diplomacy malus with the concerned civ and an albeit lesser malus with other, maybe neighbouring civs.

* Terrorism : quite easy to implement, has been tried in several mods with more or less success.

Can't think of anything else yet, but you've got the idea. It would work better as a module but I have neither the skills, nor the time, nor the time to acquire the skills to mod this.

Feel free to comment, argument, criticize.

1. In ROM, you had the elephant units able to build roads, take down forests and such, but in AND that has been removed. I liked having the elephant units able to build roads and be able to fight, useful when building long roads to distant cities through barbarian territory.

2. During WW2 there were the Construction Battalions, CB's, that could build and fight, could there be an equivalant unit in AND? Make them not able to capture cities, but they can attack and defend while building, cost more than workers to build, and take up military support costs.

3. The Roman Centurion, or the Praetorian Guard, have been able to build roads and forts, can they do this in AND? Perhaps build a Roman Road, like a modern highway, but at a much earlier time, and only this unit can do so.

4. How about a Watchtower building, for extending sight outside of your cultural borders? Give it a defensive strength so any enemy must attack and destroy, not capture. Can be upgraded in later techs to give more sight range, more defense.

5. Can Forts be given a built in defensive strength, like a garrison as well as supporting mobile troops? Have them upgrade with higher techs to become stronger. Let Cottages, farms and other improvements be build in the same space as a fort, so you can have a ring of forts around your border cities such as Verdun during WW1. Or a line of forts along your borders and coasts like the Maginot line or the Atlantic Wall. They would not cost any military unit support, cannot attack, but can have mobile garrisons as well.

6. Should Great People be made capturable? How about Great Commanders? You can capture catapults and trebuchets if they are the last unit in the space when you attack, why not Great Commanders? And for those of you who think they won't fight for you, if they can rebel against you, why not join you? Remember a guy named Benedict Arnold?

7. Can settled GP's be transferable to other cities, perhaps in the modern age? Germany gathered all the scientests together at Peenumunde. When I capture a city and find a single Military Instructor, I would like to move him to my main military city, same for Great Merchants to my money city and so on.

Afforess say no because of infinite loop CTD.

this is a useless quest IMO. The holy mountain is usually on the other side of the world and even if you make that 10,000 mile journey and settle there, you only get a tiny boost of happiness. Either put a range limit on where that holy mountain is from the current controlled area at the time the quest is given or boost up the reward. Perhaps make an automatic second holy city WW in that new city that settles there. Then it would be worth it to get the money boost of a second Temple of Solomon or the science boost of another Statue of Zeus, as well as an additional 100% War Weiriness to your enemies.

this is a useless quest IMO. The holy mountain is usually on the other side of the world and even if you make that 10,000 mile journey and settle there, you only get a tiny boost of happiness. Either put a range limit on where that holy mountain is from the current controlled area at the time the quest is given or boost up the reward. Perhaps make an automatic second holy city WW in that new city that settles there. Then it would be worth it to get the money boost of a second Temple of Solomon or the science boost of another Statue of Zeus, as well as an additional 100% War Weiriness to your enemies.

I would say scrap the quest. The "holy mountain quest" feels like something that belongs in FFH rather than RAND.

Out of the hundreds of games I have played on many different mods, I have only completed this quest twice, once by accident, because a vassel gave up their independence and that city just happened to be on the other side of the world near the Holy Mountain. The other I got lucky and the Mountain was not that far away. I never accually try to complete this quest.

One thing I noticed time and again.
I got myself Heavy Cavalry unit. OK, great.
But one problem is this: I only need three technologies before I get to Mailed Knight that Heavy Cavalry upgrade to.
Armor Crafting--->Armored Cavalry--->Chivalry
Because few other requirements for Mailed Knight (Chivalry) are already satisfied for Heavy Cavalry.
Now that wouldn't be a problem for Snail or Eternity player so this is not really a big suggestion. If it is ignored, I can live with that, no problem.
I suggest that you add tweaks to AND prereq tech for Chivalry to make it even more distant from Heavy Cavalry.

Other than that, so far in the latest SVN version, the game is awesome except for these other bugs reported by other users.

epic speed inflation should be set to 2% vs 4%. the year is 2200AD in one of my games and the AI has run out of money. their military size is puny and research rate slow.

my economy is barely functional at 50% efficiency.

chaning in-game to 2% and i see the AI's military strength increasing, rapidly.

* resources depletion should be one source of said resource at a time and you should get a warning well ahead so that you have time to find alternate sources of that resource.

* I liked it when pollution caused terrain to turn into desert, one tile at a time. I like to fight post-apo wars where giant robots of death fight on devastated land over the few left resources needed to sustain an ever shrinking population... but maybe that's just me, and I know some don't like to lose pop over pollution (I, for one, think it makes for an awesome - virtual - ending of the world), so maybe it could be an option.

* I liked it when pollution caused terrain to turn into desert, one tile at a time. I like to fight post-apo wars where giant robots of death fight on devastated land over the few left resources needed to sustain an ever shrinking population... but maybe that's just me, and I know some don't like to lose pop over pollution (I, for one, think it makes for an awesome - virtual - ending of the world), so maybe it could be an option.

That was the Global Warming mod, it was a part of regular RoM. I do not know what Afforess did with it (or when he may have done something with it); my guess is that some other feature broke it, it was removed for whatever reason, or it still exists but is off by default.

I have seen another mod (can't remember which one) where the workers could get xp and promotions. Let the workers get XP of 0.1 for every job they do, give them promotions to let them move faster, work better, even defend themselves. Spys have been upgraded to be more dynamic, how about the workers?

Just some thoghts i whanted to share:

First of all the early goverment civics are way to powerfull, especaly despotisem, i can easely keep it running untill the modern era on noble untill the incresed maitnace kickes in, i think it should decrease both national aswell as local rebelionis and the + :) should be removed.
Also revolutions are far to frequent for my taste, it makes conquering stuff barely worth it, as the citys will constantly revolt, longing for thair homeland even after a milinia, i think there should be a buff to the base stability of all empires or something like that.
Also a better documentation as to what leads to revolutions would be nice, i constantly get financial trubble as a reason but i do have a lot of cash, so yeah...why?

Just some thoghts i whanted to share:

First of all the early goverment civics are way to powerfull, especaly despotisem, i can easely keep it running untill the modern era on noble untill the incresed maitnace kickes in, i think it should decrease both national aswell as local rebelionis and the + :) should be removed.
Also revolutions are far to frequent for my taste, it makes conquering stuff barely worth it, as the citys will constantly revolt, longing for thair homeland even after a milinia, i think there should be a buff to the base stability of all empires or something like that.
Also a better documentation as to what leads to revolutions would be nice, i constantly get financial trubble as a reason but i do have a lot of cash, so yeah...why?

The reason that those cities are revolting is because of your choice of the despotism civic. So it isn't really that powerful at all.;):mischief:

So i assume the information about the revolutions effects of the civics on the civic screen and civopedia is incorrect?

No, just that the creator of Revolution, JDog, never really got down to writing out a detailed manual of his modcomp.

Top Bottom