Random Events

ori

Repair Guy
Retired Moderator
I'd like to use this thread to discuss the events that are implemented in the game. If you know an event that desperately needs changing: let me know, though I am most interested in your thoughts about the events I'll introduce at whatever pace it'll be...
If you have ideas for new events, please do post them in this thread.

right now the following have been implemented:

Cock Fights
Spoiler :
Active in 70% of games, iWeight is 100.
Needs a Chicken Coop and knowledge of the Ecology Tech to trigger.
Choices are:
(1) Shut cock fighting down -> +1 happy in the city -2 culture/turn for Chicken Coop in the city
(2) Let cock fighting continue -> +1 unhappy in the city +2 culture/turn for Chicken Coop in the city
(3) Promote cock fighting (requires Legalized Gambling Tech) -> +1 unhappy in the city +1 culture/turn and +3 gold/turn for Chicken Coop in the city

Snake Oil
Spoiler :
Active in 70% of games, iWeight is 100.
Needs a Doctor's Office and an unhealthy city, choices are:
(1) Buy some ointments -> +1 unhealthy for Doctor's Office in the city, -50-100 gold
(2) Allow him to sell the wares and tax them (requires Mercantilism Tech) -> +2 unhealthy and +2 gold/turn for Doctor's Office in the city
(3) run him out of town (requires Modern Medicine) -> +1 happy for Doctor's Office in the city, -200-400 gold

Iditarod
Spoiler :
Active in 85% of games, iWeight is 200.
Needs a Sled Dog trainer in the city. Requires Motorized Transportation to trigger and cannot trigger after Sled dog trainer obsoletes with Globalization. Choices are:
(1) Do nothing
(2) Minor Event -> spend 50-100 gold, get 50 culture and 1 happy for 30 turns in city
(3) Major Event -> spend 200-400 gold, get 50 culture and Dog Breeder provides 2 culture/turn, 2 happy and -3 gold/turn (requires Mass Media)

New Sheriff
Spoiler :
Active in 85% of games, iWeight is 200.
Requires unhappy city with Saloon. Cannot trigger after Legalized Gambling is discovered.
Choices are:
(1) get 1 temporary unhappy in city
(2) spend 50 gold, get 1 happy for 5 turns in city
(3) spend 200-400 gold, get 1 happy for 30 turns in city
(4) spend 200 gold, get 1 temporary unhappy in city, get 1 Sheriff unit.

Music of Gods
Spoiler :
Active in 60% of games, iWeight is 100.
Requires knowledge of Electronics tech. Choices are:
(1) Do nothing
(2) Spend 1000 gold, all theaters and opera houses gain 1 culture/turn.
(3) Spend 2000 gold, all theaters and opera houses gain 2 culture/turn.(requires superconductor tech)

Not sure if this fits the new event of fix of an old event category.:mischief: Volcano event.

Now that we have the graphics and I have most of the python to support it. I would like the event to change so that the graphics on the map are used a bit more dynamically.

Events:-
  • Volcanic eruption - dormant volcano becomes active
  • Extinct volcano isn't - peak with sulphur or obsidian becomes active volcano
  • New volcano - anywhere not just peaks (very rare)
  • Dormant volcano - active volcano goes dormant ( I may have the XML for this one.)
  • Extinct volcano - a dormant volcano goes extinct becoming a peak with obsidian or sulphur.

The effects of the volcano erupting are the same as now. With two possible exceptions.
  • all plots next to a new volcano get +1:food: - map scripts will need to change to give this bonus to plots next to existing active and dormant volcanoes.
  • on going extinct the +1food: bonus is removed.

I was going to use the volcano graphic with all te soot as the active one and the pretty as the dormant.

Sound feasible?

Oh really? Good thing it was not a Duck Coop Doctor's Office or he would be a real "Quack". :mischief:

:p :p

Not sure if this fits the new event of fix of an old event category.:mischief: Volcano event.

Now that we have the graphics and I have most of the python to support it. I would like the event to change so that the graphics on the map are used a bit more dynamically.

• Dormant volcano - active volcano goes dormant ( I may have the XML for this one.)
  • Extinct volcano - a dormant volcano goes extinct becoming a peak with obsidian or sulphur.

The effects of the volcano erupting are the same as now. With two possible exceptions.
  • all plots next to a new volcano get +1:food: - map scripts will need to change to give this bonus to plots next to existing active and dormant volcanoes.

I was going to use the volcano graphic with all te soot as the active one and the pretty as the dormant.

Sound feasible?

it should not be too difficult to do that - I'll have a look at it soon (won't have much time until the weekend to do stuff ;))

I'd like to use this thread to discuss the events that are implemented in the game. If you know an event that desperately needs changing: let me know, though I am most interested in your thoughts about the events I'll introduce at whatever pace it'll be...

Besides the 4 I posted, here are the top 3 I personally like and think should be made next.

1. Potential Native Extinctions
2. Silica Terraces
3. Retired Frigate

it should not be too difficult to do that - I'll have a look at it soon (won't have much time until the weekend to do stuff ;))

No biggy, heck take two weeks, even more, thats fine, anything in the Events area, is great work, and again, many many thx;)

there is an event that give +1 com and say (prime timber) maybe it should give the resource like the event with the deer.

Sound feasible?

if there were two volcano features (volcano_active and volcano_dormant) this would not be difficult at all to set up.

if there were two volcano features (volcano_active and volcano_dormant) this would not be difficult at all to set up.

Its really not, its just a matter of simple python, in the correct files is all, i have done it in my past mods i made, it does make a difference also, besides looking good, that is.

I think we have volcano1 and volcano2 (graphical only) at the moment but that is easy to change.

Edit I can't change the name of the feature because it is used in all the amp scripts so they would need to change also. So I am just changing the txt.
FEATURE_VOLCANO = Volcano - Active
FEATURE_VOLCANO2 = Volcano Dormant​

Naturally I need to test before push it to the SVN. :)

name doesn't matter as long as they are distinct. I'll try to do some code for this over the weekend.

The only special thing you need to remember is to turn the peak off before setting the volcano feature on otherwise they float above the peak.

Starting tomorrow you'll be seeing a lot of volcanic activity around your maps :mischief:

I set it up so that new volcanos add :food: to the surrounding tiles and remove them when they go extinct - this also means that any volcanos that are placed by the map scripts will see the surrounding tiles lose :food: when going extinct, cannot help that I am afraid.

Starting tomorrow you'll be seeing a lot of volcanic activity around your maps :mischief:

I set it up so that new volcanos add :food: to the surrounding tiles and remove them when they go extinct - this also means that any volcanos that are placed by the map scripts will see the surrounding tiles lose :food: when going extinct, cannot help that I am afraid.

Why do volcanos add food?

Why do volcanos add food?

as DH says, volcanic soil tends to be good for agriculture - until the volcano erupts, that is ;)

Right now I have set it up to add 1 :food: on each land tile around the Volcano. I will release it hopefully today after I am done with the TXT_KEYs that I still miss. Also there is one additional python check for new Volcanos to include that I forgot...

The way I set up the events for now is as follows (all are active in 100% of games):

New Volcano: (iWeight: 20):
Any tile that a player can see that has no city and no unit on it (will add no bonus before releasing it) can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano to the plot and the plots around it gain 1 :food:, unless they are coast or ocean. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed. Note: this also can happen in coast and ocean tiles - which adds a land tile then.

Extinct Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 80):
Any tile with Obsidian that a player can see that has no city and no unit on it can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano to the plot and the plots around it gain 1 :food:, unless they are coast or ocean. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Dormant Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 300):
Any tile with a dormant Volcano (FEATURE_VOLCANO) that a player an see can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano (FEATURE_VOLCANO2). Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Active Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 1100):
Any tile with an active Volcano that a player can see can erupt. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Active Volcano goes dormant: (iWeight: 400):
Active Volcano feature is switched to dormant Volcano feature.

Dormant Volcano goes extinct: (iWeight: 100):
Dormant Volcano feature is removed, the tile gains a rocky hill and Obsidian. The tiles around them lose 1 :food:, unless they are ocean or coast.

The original Volcano event is disabled. Note: this had an iWeight of 400 meaning that now there are 5 times as many chances for Volcano related events (combined iWeight of these events is currently 2000)...

I am open to changing this setup if there are any objections/wishes for improvement ;)

as DH says, volcanic soil tends to be good for agriculture - until the volcano erupts, that is ;)

Right now I have set it up to add 1 :food: on each land tile around the Volcano. I will release it hopefully today after I am done with the TXT_KEYs that I still miss. Also there is one additional python check for new Volcanos to include that I forgot...

The way I set up the events for now is as follows (all are active in 100% of games):

New Volcano: (iWeight: 20):
Any tile that a player can see that has no city and no unit on it (will add no bonus before releasing it) can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano to the plot and the plots around it gain 1 :food:, unless they are coast or ocean. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed. Note: this also can happen in coast and ocean tiles - which adds a land tile then.

Extinct Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 80):
Any tile with Obsidian that a player can see that has no city and no unit on it can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano to the plot and the plots around it gain 1 :food:, unless they are coast or ocean. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Dormant Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 300):
Any tile with a dormant Volcano (FEATURE_VOLCANO) that a player an see can erupt. Eruption adds an active Volcano (FEATURE_VOLCANO2). Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Active Volcano erupts: (iWeight: 1100):
Any tile with an active Volcano that a player can see can erupt. Improvements around the Volcano (and on it) are destroyed.

Active Volcano goes dormant: (iWeight: 400):
Active Volcano feature is switched to dormant Volcano feature.

Dormant Volcano goes extinct: (iWeight: 100):
Dormant Volcano feature is removed, the tile gains a rocky hill and Obsidian. The tiles around them lose 1 :food:, unless they are ocean or coast.

The original Volcano event is disabled. Note: this had an iWeight of 400 meaning that now there are 5 times as many chances for Volcano related events (combined iWeight of these events is currently 2000)...

I am open to changing this setup if there are any objections/wishes for improvement ;)
Great.
Some ideas:
What about having volcanic soil as a feature instead of just adding 1 food to surrouding tiles. Whenever a volcano breaks out it randomly chooses some plots in first circle and some in second circle around the volcano (adjacent to the plots in first circle that were chosen). Then destroy the features and improvements on those tiles and add the volcanic soil feature. Instead of being removed with the volcano it could get its own events for despawning so it happens randomly.
The volcanic soil could get some special improvements. I am thinking about stuff like this kind of winegrowing: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:La_Geria_vines.jpg
Of course that is a matter of having the right graphics.

I have no problem with that - but it would mean that it would change looks quite a bit (and remove and forests, jungle, flood plains and other stuff that is done through features). So it would impact the map even more...
Right now setting it up for the first ring randomly would be easy for me - I'd need to figure out how to ensure vicinity in the second ring though :hmm:

Edit: also the features would need to fit in with both volcano features used (or new volcanos added) I guess...

I have no problem with that - but it would mean that it would change looks quite a bit (and remove and forests, jungle, flood plains and other stuff that is done through features). So it would impact the map even more...
Right now setting it up for the first ring randomly would be easy for me - I'd need to figure out how to ensure vicinity in the second ring though :hmm:

Edit: also the features would need to fit in with both volcano features used (or new volcanos added) I guess...
Yes, definitely not low effort so I guess for now keep your old implementation.
Would be cool though to have lava streams that change the surrounding area for some time which recovers later.

Top Bottom