1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Takhisis, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Band of duct tape around the center in all three dimensions, plus corner to corner strips on each face. The yielding of the base material no longer matters. Trust me, I am a technician.

JohannaK and hobbsyoyo like this.
  2. Mouthwash

Mouthwash Escaped Lunatic

Apparently, very antisemitic to have a problem with this! Fortunately, I had rose-Twitter to explain it to me.

3. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Shouldn't you be complaining about globalization at your local synagogue instead of on a website dedicated to a global audience?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    Alemana....I'm going to presume that means German. (I only know and guess since the French has "Allemagne" for Germany).

bernie14 likes this.
  5. Synsensa

Every time I leave this apartment for an extended period of time and come back, I am painfully reminded of how every roommate I get stuck with is bordering on feral.

The toilet seat was literally crusty. The kitchen counters were covered in mysterious congealed substances. The dark blue drying mat was bright brown and covered in garbage and dirty dishes.

It's only been two weeks. How?

Better yet: How can you even live each day like that and not see a problem? Really, no attempt at all at cleaning it? Not even a lackluster wiping down?

Anyways what are you guys up to

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  6. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Lynching Italian plumbers.

7. Synsensa

You can't lynch yourself, silly

8. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

Thankfully I am no Italian plumber.

9. Commodore

Commodore Deity

This is a result of bad parenting. They were obviously never taught as children why cleaning and chores are important and not just a punishment. I'm guessing if we could watch footage of your roommate's childhood, we'd see a lot of them sitting around doing whatever they want while their parents do all the cleaning.

Synsensa likes this.
  10. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

@hobbsyoyo Why don't you just buy a cheap PC stand? Presumably that would be easier than McGyvering a bunch of frail cardboard boxes?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  11. rah

rah Deity Supporter

12. Arakhor

Arakhor Dremora Courtier Moderator

Mine is like 15 years old and is probably just lengths of plasticised aluminium. It's certainly not fancy wood/faux-wood like that. :)

13. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Faux-wood for the win. :lol: :lol:

14. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles queen of the watermelons

I have this exact same desk. Unfortunately all the dark-brown/black coating is rubbing off and it looks beige now. Also the keyboard tray slider broke and gets stuck if I push it in too far.

15. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Mines almost 2 years old and it hasn't worn through yet and the shelve still actually works. (but I'm expecting to have to eventually mount it out permanently. ;)
    My last faux-wood one wore through to the particle board, but that took almost 15 years.

16. aimeeandbeatles

I've been using mine for eight or ten years, if memory serves. And it hasn't actually fallen apart, which is probably a good thing.

17. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Then you got your money's worth. I hope the shelf on mine lasts that long. I don't really abuse it much so maybe,

18. aimeeandbeatles

The reason the keyboard tray slider broke on mine is because my very-heavy cat once got it into her mind to climb on the tray.

19. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Fortunately our cats are a little more petite. But they do like to help their dad compute.

20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I'm trying to be frugal as I'm only working half-time. I did have to buy one $30 monitor stand already when the goal was spending $0 on the whole desk set up. One of my monitors is a converted TV and without a proper stand it was unusable without an extreme number of stacked boxes so I did break down and buy one. Oh and I bought a cheap padded mat for my feet, but that was honestly a necessity as the alternative was sore feet. Anyways all that is more than I wanted to spend already and a proper desk will set me back more than I can justify at the moment.

When I go full time I'll probably get a proper standing desk of one form or another. But for now this works, mostly anyways.

The HR lady at a previous job refused to buy a proper standing desk as it posed a 'fire hazard' because I'm tall and allegedly would break the line of site to the fire exit signs. What was really going on is that she thought it was her job to be extraordinarily frugal and bought me a cheap standing desk for $20 without a tray for my mouse. I used a cardboard box for over a year then so this is nothing new to me.
    :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.