1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Takhisis, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You're doing the right thing @haroon, good on you for seeking justice for the child. Hopefully you find out nothing happened to her but still force her family to take better care of her.

haroon and The_J like this.
  2. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

That story is shocking. I am sorry and I hope that justice is done by the end of this.

haroon and The_J like this.
  3. Commodore

Commodore Deity

So my wife and I went to the Cheesecake Factory for dinner last light and the experience was...underwhelming to say the least. Which is disappointing because everyone we talk to always speaks highly of the place.

The service was mediocre, the food didn't taste great and was overpriced for the portion sizes, the meal I ordered wasn't cooked the way I ordered it, and the entire meal didn't come out together due to apparent lack of coordination among the kitchen staff. Finally, the cheesecake was extremely overpriced and didn't blow me away like everyone claims it would. It's not an exaggeration to say I've had better cheesecake from the baked goods section of my local grocery store. And when the Cheesecake Factory is charging almost $9 for a single slice, having it taste just "okay" is a little unacceptable. I don't know if we just caught them on a bad night or something, but they definitely did not live up to their reputation.

Thankfully the only thing we actually paid out of pocket was the tip since we were using a gift card a family member got us for Christmas. Needless to say, my wife and I decided we won't be going back to the Cheesecake Factory anytime soon.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Your experience matches both times that we have been there. Won't go again.

hobbsyoyo and Commodore like this.
  5. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Cheesecake Factory: all name, no game.

That said, my local grocery store carries a cheesecake brand that is absolutely awesome, and is made by a company that is committed to donating 50% of their profits to charity.

hobbsyoyo and Commodore like this.
  6. Birdjaguar

I went to the link. Looks nice, but I could not find any pricing or way to actually order their products. :(

7. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Like I said, they are in my local grocery store. Did they not have a list of stores that carry their products?

Birdjaguar likes this.
  8. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

They make you email and ask. Which seems counterproductive.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  9. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

From their FAQ:

How can I find out what stores near me carry my favorite The Father’s Table products? Are they available online through your website?
    For more information on where you can purchase our products, please send us an email by clicking the “Contact Us” tab, then "Connect" to provide your contact information and zip code. With this information we will then direct you to major retailers in your area that are currently carrying our products. Please note, we do not sell any of our products online.

Birdjaguar likes this.
  10. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

Still sick from Thurday.
    Cancelled my date on Tuesday :cry:.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

I've been once and felt the same. I do not know why people rave about it. My immediate family are fanatics and I don't get it.

Birdjaguar and Commodore like this.
  12. Commodore

Commodore Deity

I'm starting to think it's some kind of cult or something. When my wife told one of her friends who loves it there that she didn't really like it, her friend seemed to get legitimately offended.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  13. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

I've been there. Mediocre and overpriced.

hobbsyoyo, Commodore and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. Birdjaguar

That info should be front and center on their site and not buried in the FAQ. I'd prefer a map of the states that you can click on to find places that sell their products. I have no interest in giving them my name without knowing before if there is a place in NM to buy their products.

15. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Not unreasonable. I have a throwaway e-mail address for such situations, but I certainly wouldn't give them one of my regular ones. That said, it isn't like my local grocery is anything special, it's just a grocery chain. I'd be surprised if they weren't in the store you regularly shop at. At my store they are in the refrigerated cases next to the deli/bakery, not by the regular Sara Lee stuff. Don't know why.

16. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

One of the new cardboard boxes I used to put the finishing touches on my standing desk is already sagging under the load, causing the monitor to tilt.
    :mad:

17. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

You're an engineer.

Use rockets to exert just enough force to maintain structural integrity of the box.

18. rah

rah Deity Supporter

Fill boxes with old books to strengthen your structure. ;)

JohannaK and hobbsyoyo like this.
  19. Timsup2nothin

Timsup2nothin Quad B

Two words.

Duct.

Tape.

rah and hobbsyoyo like this.
  20. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

This is my immediate solution as the box is irregular sized and won't be easy to fill with books. Longer-term solution is to get a sturdier box as I don't think the duct tape will help all that much for a box in which the materials of the sidewalls have already yielded. Rocket-based solutions are hazardous for the dog unfortunately.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.