Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think bloodletting helps when there's excess blood iron. I can't spell the proper word for it.

The persistence of bloodletting comes from the ‘belief was that it was better to give any treatment than nothing at all’ as quoted by Wikipedia:

Today it is well established that bloodletting is not effective for most diseases. Indeed, it is mostly harmful, since it can weaken the patient and facilitate infections. Bloodletting is used today in the treatment of a few diseases, including hemochromatosis and polycythemia; however, these rare diseases were unknown and undiagnosable before the advent of scientific medicine. It is practiced by specifically trained practitioners in hospitals, using modern techniques. In most cases, phlebotomy now refers to the removal of small quantities of blood for diagnostic purposes. However, in the case of hemochromatosis, which is now recognized as the most common hereditary disorder in European populations, bloodletting (by venipuncture) has become the mainstay treatment option. In the U.S., according to an academic article posted in the Journal of Infusion Nursing with data published in 2010, the primary use of phlebotomy was to take blood that would one day be reinfused back into a person.​

On leeches themselves:

In Old English, lǣce was the name for a physician as well as for the animal, and lǣcecraft, leechcraft, was the art of healing.*

William Wordsworth's 1802 poem Resolution and Independence describes one of the last of the leech-gatherers, people who travelled Britain catching leeches from the wild, and causing a sharp decline in their abundance, though they remain numerous in Romney Marsh. By 1863, British hospitals had switched to imported leeches, some seven million being imported to hospitals in London that year.

In the nineteenth century, demand for leeches was sufficient for hirudiculture, the farming of leeches, to become commercially viable. The use of leeches in modern medicine made a small-scale comeback in the 1980s after years of decline, with the advent of microsurgery, where venous congestion can arise due to inefficient venous drainage; leeches can reduce swelling in the tissues and promote healing. They are used to help restore circulation after microsurgery to reattach body parts. Other clinical applications include varicose veins, muscle cramps, thrombophlebitis, and joint diseases such as epicondylitis and osteoarthritis.

Leech secretions contain several bioactive substances with analgesic, anti-inflammatory, anticoagulant as well as antimicrobial effects. One active anticoagulant component of leech saliva is a small protein, hirudin. The drug is manufactured by recombinant DNA technology.​

*note added by me: see here for the disputed origin of the word.

Especially Tak's humor. ;)
Speaking of which, I've just finally found an old picture of myself among old files when looking for a new avatar.

I remember too.

What powers are those that be, that can compare to the mighty dragon goddess of the nearly 45k posts?

You barbarian.

What powers are those that be, that can compare to the mighty dragon goddess of the nearly 45k posts?
@Lemon Merchant isn't there a moderator option to mass delete posts from specific posters? You know change their posting status on OT so their posts there don't count? ;)

Besides, if you find the matter of a lot of posts too onerous, you could always have a word with the administrators.

@Lemon Merchant isn't there a moderator option to mass delete posts from specific posters? You know change their posting status on OT so their posts there don't count? ;)

Mere moderators are not granted those far-ranging powers. ;)

Rant: Experts Exchange should be removed from Google results. The old 'scroll down to the bottom of the page' trick doesn't even work anymore.

One week of work, still silence on the phone. People do wake up slowly after New year it seems. One mom requested me in December to teach her daughter English, but she has been silent as well.

My life has been mostly League of Legends and chatting with random guys online. I like Norwegian guys the most atm it seems. Such a chill country.

I also play Diablo 3 from time to time. And Hearthstone. I help out my mom, but she is ill and refuses to get help. That's more of a sad than rant though.

The good news are that I get nearly 100 euros per month from benefits. And I can afford my meds therefore. I have a rather stable relationship with my gf and I plan to show her to my father this month. After that we might marry. We are almost as poor as stray cats though. She is translating for Polish company, I'm teaching kids. I leave my ads on various sites online and hope people will call me.

The sad part is that I live about 10km from city centre so there are few calls and zero calls this month. I already said that. I guess I'm trying to make this more rant-ish. :D

Whatever you do, the truth still will be out there.

I'm the lowliest of junior mods. I can barely edit posts. :p

Always remember that I have a Gal Gadot avatar in my hard drive changing room that I can extort you with.

I have a cleaner that come to my house whenever we ask her, she told my wife that her niece, 12 years old, is back after 6 days went missing, she doesn't eat well or bath during those 6 days, and she refuse to talk to anyone and really scare, her father already pass away while her mother is sick from TBC so it's her relative who take care of her. The relative doesn't really want to continue the problem or seek for justice, they just glad she's back and go on with their life. My cleaner really suspicious with one of her neighbor who is close with the child, and he is the one who give the last pointer of where is she when they finally find her, but because the family not doing anything about it so life just goes on.

So one day while my cleaner cleaning my home, I call her and told her that I can help her, and she just directly burst into tears and telling me all of those things, so I ask what is the reason the relative not really pushing the matter, well she told me she's also cannot fathom why they are like that perhaps they are afraid or ashamed, or don't want to make it complicated. I ask her, are they possible afraid from this man that she's suspicious to be the culprit, is he some kind of a tough guy in the neighborhood or something? she said yes, and I said don't worry I'll take care of him, I ask her to bring her niece to the hospital for visum and I will afford the cost.

I go to my military friend, he is a high-ranking officer, and told him about the story, he told me he cannot use his authority to do anything about it but he can help me to assist them for the police investigation process, they need to compiles all the witness and evidence after that he told me he will help me with the pushing. Then I contacted my friend, he works in NGO for HIV prevention, I contacted him because I know he has so many court experience mostly from the ex-drug user. I told him everything, including my conversation with the military guy, he told me that he will contacted his friend from the child protection services if they can offer any help. After that he call me back and told me that they can only assist the family but it is depend on her family willingness to press charge and consistently giving their time and effort for this case, if the family not really cooperative as I told him it will be so hard to push the investigation. This is really blow my mind, a child went missing for 6 days, there is obvious child predator and kidnaper and we already get the suspect, yet the one who should work hard to gather the evidence and witness is the family not police? My logic said the fact that this child just back from 6 days gone missing this should be enough evidence for the police to move their pretty ass and start doing something. He said he already handle so many cases that was cut out in the middle because the one who press charge cannot afford the struggle to get justice, and there's that.

So I call my cleaner and told her everything, in return she also told me that she already talk to the aunt that take care of the child and told her that she know someone who can help the child, the aunt said everything is ok, the most important thing is she's back now, and the aunt said the child during that time going around with a university student, this story is contrary with the neighbor that my cleaner thought to be the culprit, the cleaner said to her aunt during those 6 days the child must endured a horrible physical and sexual abuse, the aunt said let's hope and pray it is not like that, her answer makes me strongly believe that she know the truth but doesn't want to press any further effort why she hoping on something that already happened? There is no need to hope for that, she can just inspect or ask the child for the answer if any abuse happened during her missing. I told my cleaner I'll go there and I'll meet the child and her aunt, she said she's afraid they will think bad of her if I do that, like now everything already come back to normal and the child already back to her house, if I go there they will see us as nuance and try to creates further problem.

So right now, I feel disgusted with the situation, I'm disappointed with the normalization that everyone do (not the cleaner), and I really hate the police.

Last edited:
@haroon I'm sorry. That is a terrible story. I hope that you can at least get the girl seen by doctors to assess her real condition and to check for disease at least. :(

@haroon I'm sorry. That is a terrible story. I hope that you can at least get the girl seen by doctors to assess her real condition and to check for disease at least. :(

Yes now you give me the reason to push myself to meet her, at least I can do that for her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom