1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Discussion in 'Serial Thread Archives' started by Takhisis, Dec 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

You can format SSD's so that they wear-level when it comes to how files are rewritten to lengthen their life. I also feel like their lifetimes are measured in thousands or tens of thousands of cycles so I doubt you'd be making a meaningful dent in that with game installation/removal but idk

Synsensa likes this.
  2. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Not an issue my dude, you'd need to be writing like 100gb per day every day every single day nonstop for like 5 years before you have any issues. My main drive is a 500gb SSD and it has like 65tb total written after 4 years, it's good until I dunno, 250-500 tbw

Synsensa likes this.
  3. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Hmm.

That's pretty good. I was thinking about how many TBs I've gone through, and the largest percentage is undoubtedly shows and movies. I'll just need a separate HDD for those. If I had to guess, my game installs/uninstalls probably amount to no more than 30 TB in the lifetime of this laptop (~5 years). I haven't played any of the monstrously sized games, though—the ones that are near 100 GB by themselves. :lol: Still, even if I did it with reckless abandon, it seems I wouldn't have any issues with lifespan. I don't think I've had an HDD last more than 7 years anyways.

This is reassuring!

4. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Rant: I woke up to a freezing house.

5. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I recommend a blanket for the house, and it might maybe want a hot chocolate too ^^.

Hygro likes this.
  6. aimeeandbeatles

It was freezing because my mother randomly decided to open all the windows and balcony door. I don't know why.

7. aimeeandbeatles

Don't worry about it, honestly. SSDs don't run out of writes near that fast.

That said, games with lots of loading/textures popping up benefit from SSDs most.

Oh, and don't ever defrag an SSD. It's useless and just makes it wear out faster.

8. Synsensa

IIRC, Windows 10 automagically disables defrag when it detects an SSD.

cardgame likes this.
  9. aimeeandbeatles

It does. You can use TRIM instead, which lets the SSD wipe empty sectors.

10. JohannaK

JohannaK Careless Whisperer

I like to think I keep only "active" games installed, but I can go months or years not playing some of those, so take it as you will.

cardgame likes this.
  11. aimeeandbeatles

Internet in Nova Scotia isn't always great so I prefer to keep games installed unless I know I won't be playing them for a while. I do swap them back and forth between my SSD and HDD though because of space limitations.

JohannaK and hobbsyoyo like this.
  12. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

Oh dear, should I be uninstalling games?

How do I defrag my computer in Windows 10? What does defragging do, exactly?

13. Synsensa

Windows 10 does it automatically. Unless you disable it.

14. aimeeandbeatles

When your hard drive writes files, they sometimes get broken up into chunks and end up in different parts of the disk, which means the HDD has to search around when you open them.

Windows 10 should automatically handle it so don't worry about it.

Not unless you're running out of hard disk space. But some people prefer to for various reasons.

15. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Imagine Your disk as the wardrobe. "Clothes" are written files and empty space is well... empty space :D . Defragging is like sorting the wardrobe, so all Your clothes (files) are sorted out neatly on one side and all Your free space is left on the other side, clothes are also left with no "in between" gaps. Defragging makes Your disk find and access the clothes err... the files more quickly ;)

hobbsyoyo, MaryKB and tjs282 like this.
  16. Truthy

Truthy Idle

Wear-leveling is actually just a thing your SSD almost definitely does on its own as it gets write requests from the OS/driver. You don't have to enable it yourself or anything like that. But yeah, it does prolong the SSD lifespan by keeping writes distributed roughly uniformly across the device's memory blocks. And yeah also game installation wouldn't matter much. That's likely pretty marginal.

The wear-levelling thing also ties into the defragmentation discussion @aimeeandbeatles and friends are having. You can't really even defragment an SSD at all, in the sense of literally rewriting all your files to be contiguous blocks on your storage device (like with an HDD). The firmware/device controller, will just disperse the rewrites around the physical address space. And it mostly doesn't matter at all for an SSD anyway since seek times aren't a thing (it matters slightly for reducing metadata).

When Windows's Disk Optimizer (I think it's called) utility runs on an SSD, it's mainly just sending trim requests to the SSD. Those queue up and the SSD will internally mark that those physical blocks can be wiped or overwritten. But by my reading (it's late, could be wrong) aimee suggested that you, the user, should (or have to) do this yourself. You don't need to do this yourself and I don't think there are many reasons why you'd need to. Windows does it fairly regularly with the aforementioned utility, unless you disable it (which you probably shouldn't).

17. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

One of my cats pooped on the floor, and my robot spread it all over the carpet.

Hygro, JohannaK, cardgame and 2 others like this.
  18. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Polish Pudding

Oh crap ! You have my sympathy :hug:

19. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

Dude brutal media morning.
    Spoiler really sad stuff :

Woke up and one of the first things I saw on reddit was pictures of a 14 year old boy crying as they strapped the electric chair electrode to his head before he was wrongly executed. The local news followed that up with a story about a mountain lion eating a family's dog right in front of them (mini schnauzer charged the lion to be fair) and another about an LAPD officer that has been caught on his own body cam groping a dead body.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
    cardgame likes this.
  20. MaryKB

MaryKB Deity Supporter

I wish you hadn't said anything about this, this is incredibly disturbing :(

cardgame and Birdjaguar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.