Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Steam library is very moderate, actually. 350 games, about 200 of which are hidden for one reason or another. It's my GOG library that's distinctly immoderate.
My total amount of vidyas ever owned across all platforms is almost certainly under 100. What do you even do with that many?

My total amount of vidyas ever owned across all platforms is almost certainly under 100. What do you even do with that many?

Play them.

Barring that, you get a lot of games from bundles that'll never see the light of day. IRL, when you buy bundles, or really any physical product, you can throw it out, regift it, sell it, etc. But you can't do that with digital games. While you can, technically, remove games from your account, there's not much of a draw in doing so.

I have about the same number of games as Arakhor in my library. I've played most, but I can find out within 5 to 25 minutes usually whether or not I'll like a game. Most games I enjoy end up getting 20 to 60 hours of mileage. And then I have the heavy hitters at 200+. I've spent in the neighbourhood of 1000 hours, probably, in Minecraft and San Andreas (this is a complete guess, though, as neither were on Steam). Crusader Kings is near 900, I think.

Then you have people like @Birdjaguar who have something like 3000 hours in PoE. :p I envy that, kind of. My motivation to play a game dwindles pretty quick, and I've gotten the most mileage out of multiplayer games. And even then, over the course of many years. Minecraft has been since its beta, so a decade or so? San Andreas is probably ~120 hours single player and the rest multiplayer, the latter of which was over the course of four or five years. CK2 had a similar timeline and similar ratio. For me to get to the 2000/3000+ hour zone in a game, it'd probably take nearly 20 years of multiplayer. I very highly doubt I will EVER reach that number in a single player setting.

Hmm. Steam says I have 173 things but only 76 are visible in my library. When I activate the ready-to-play filter I have only 48.

I have 22 games in my Library plus 97 "tools" I did not know were even there. Looks like spam that wants to be installed. My top games, Civ V, EU IV, Skyrim have about 500 hours each; Rome 2 TW 795 and then the big one Path of Exile: 6130 hours.

According to Playnite I have 155 games. 52 of those are non-library (not Steam/GOG/whatever) games.

EDIT:

Spoiler :

I should note that I only installed Playnite earlier this year, so except for the Steam games (and the Pokemon ones, because I copied the play-time from the save) there's a lot of game time not accounted for. (The Sims 2 would likely be 1000+ hours otherwise.)

I like video games.

Last edited:
I once came across this game. I decided not to try it.

Rant: I got a comment on my fanfic. It turned out to be a terribly abusive one left by the girlfriend of a former friend. (I don't even know her.)

I deleted it and enabled comment moderation until I'm sure it won't happen again. :dunno: I'm mostly just disappointed because I thought someone actually did read my fic.

Last edited:
That's 255 days !! I am impressed ! :hatsoff:Need to make it 365 days now !! You can do it ! :D
I started playing POE in 2014 and haven't played much else since them.

I spent some time on the dev forums for SotS and the devs definitely let the success of SotS go to their heads. They got AAA ambitions with an indie budget/ dev experience and, predictably, things didn't end well.
Oh that sucks for them then. How did you get on a dev forum? Is that an internal thing with their company? Or just a forum for randos to talk about the upcoming game with some interaction with the devs themselves?

It might be less enjoyable.
Figured this after I had bought MoO3 ^^.

MoO3 is one of those games I've refused to buy on GOG, just on principle alone.
What's wrong with MoO3?

My Steam library is very moderate, actually. 350 games, about 200 of which are hidden for one reason or another. It's my GOG library that's distinctly immoderate.

350 games

very moderate
lolwut.png

what in the I can't even...

Wait until you see Arakhor's GOG library.

:scared:

Oh that sucks for them then. How did you get on a dev forum? Is that an internal thing with their company? Or just a forum for randos to talk about the upcoming game with some interaction with the devs themselves?
Oh, it was just the open forums for games made by the developer, Kerberos. I'm sure the posts are all still archived there.

What's wrong with MoO3?

Other than it's a terrible successor to one of the greatest space 4X-TBS games of all time, it's also a crushing disappointment, in that it appears to consist mainly of spreadsheets and what little gameplay I found was thoroughly unengaging. The best thing about it was the several-hour-long in-game backstory, which still managed to take a massive dump on the lore of the Master of Orion universe.

MoO3 and Dragon Age 2 are the two most disappointing games I've ever had the misfortune to buy.

what in the I can't even...

I (used to) buy games in the same way I did books from my local charity store - in bulk and on vast discount. I've probably spent less significantly less than £1000 over the last six years on Steam games.

I'm more surprised that apparently Lexicus has 48 games installed simultaneously. Who has time for that?

The one thing that worries me when I finally get an SSD is how my game install habits will affect it. I usually only have the games I am actively playing or about to play installed. Everything else gets uninstalled real lickity split. Since SSDs having limited writes, I figure it'd be, eh, detrimental to be installing and uninstalling dozens of games each year.

Easiest solution would be to only have the heavy duty games on the SSD, but I'd still run into the same issue, just with a smaller number.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom