Random Rants ΠΓ': Parental guidance required

Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry
I spoilered it

edit: more rant
My bike chain jammed itself when I had pedaled about 10 meters this morning. I had to lug it back to my apartment to get tools to fix it. Did that, then got to the bike trail to find out it's closed due to all the rain. The trail runs alongside a river that washes out long stretches of the trail when it rains so I should have expected it.

Last edited:
I wish you hadn't said anything about this, this is incredibly disturbing :(
Yes. It was so disturbing to me that I could hardly believe it was true, so I googled, and TIL about George Stinney Jr, the youngest American ever to be executed in the USA (thanks, hobbs!).

I was marginally relieved (not really the right word, but I hope you'll understand what I mean?) to discover that this atrocity at least did not happen recently: it happened in South Carolina, in 1944.

Spoiler TLDR for the Wiki :
...and he was a black kid accused of murdering 2 younger white girls. Which certainly makes it 100% believable as a thing that could/did happen, although no less horrible. Among other travesties, his sister could have given him an alibi for the estimated time of the murders (if anyone had asked her), he wasn't allowed to talk to his parents between his arrest and conviction, he never signed his "confession" (which he also claimed had been made in exchange for food, after the cops had starved him for a day or two), and he had no defence lawyer for his 'trial' (which lasted all of 10 minutes, from plea to death-sentence). He was executed (or rather, murdered) 80 days later. And obviously, the real murderer was never caught.
His conviction was finally overturned in 2014, on the grounds that he did not get a fair trial (like, duhhh, really...? Ya don't say...).

There are also several videos about the case on YouTube, including this 4.5-minute vid originally uploaded in 2016, which I suspect is what Hobbes got linked to on Reddit, and which I really hope is a legit documentary/news article (the Google thumbnail is a closeup of Stinney's face, after he was already strapped into the chair). Although I have posted the YouTube link, I did not click Play myself (the thumbnail was already way more than I wanted to see), and am not suggesting that anyone else click on it, either.

But I'm guessing that someone just (re)discovered one of these vids, and shared/ reddited/ tweeted it to all their contacts, causing a traffic-spike that some algorithm picked up, and that's why hobbs (and I) got linked to it in the first place.

There are also several videos about the case on YouTube, including this 4.5-minute vid originally uploaded in 2016, which I suspect is what Hobbes got linked to on Reddit, and which I really hope is a legit documentary/news article (the Google thumbnail is a closeup of Stinney's face, after he was already strapped into the chair). Although I have posted the YouTube link, I did not click Play myself (the thumbnail was already way more than I wanted to see), and am not suggesting that anyone else click on it, either.

Spoiler :
It's a dramatic reenactment. Pretty disturbing. Don't watch it.

In an attempt to unclutter my in-box at work before I retire, I'm going through promotional emails and unsubscribing to make it easier to manage.
(ok, the rant part) Most of the time when you do it, they say it will take 5 business days to take affect. Now it done by a simple program so it shouldn't take that long but I'll cut them some slack because it may have to make it's way through multiple organisation's systems and they want to set an expectation that they can make sure they meet, but I did one this morning and they claimed it would take 20 business days. (FOR WHAT) Why do I think that during those 20 days I'll be getting e-mails asking me if I did it by mistake, was I sure, or would I like to reconsider. :lol:

I'm pretty sure that sort of thing is illegal in Canada. Not sure if they actually enforce it, though.

Dude brutal media morning.
Spoiler really sad stuff :

Woke up and one of the first things I saw on reddit was pictures of a 14 year old boy crying as they strapped the electric chair electrode to his head before he was wrongly executed. The local news followed that up with a story about a mountain lion eating a family's dog right in front of them (mini schnauzer charged the lion to be fair) and another about an LAPD officer that has been caught on his own body cam groping a dead body.

It's vey sad . I cannot believe this can happen in a civilized nation. I hope things have improved for black people since those horrible times.

It's vey sad . I cannot believe this can happen in a civilized nation. I hope things have improved for black people since those horrible times.

They can be executed at traffic stops and in their neighbourhoods now. America has made it more efficient.

Efficiency above life.

They can be executed at traffic stops and in their neighbourhoods now. America has made it more efficient.
George Zimmerman is now suing Trevon Martin's family, egged on by a 2nd ammendment law firm. Really wish @JollyRoger was here with the legal hot takes.

Unsurprisingly, the examples given are overwhelmingly non-white men, because in addition to having crappy criminal justice ideals, America has had and continues to have a lot of problems with racism.

And one of the white men was mentally disabled and coerced into making a false confession.

In an attempt to unclutter my in-box at work before I retire, I'm going through promotional emails and unsubscribing to make it easier to manage.
(ok, the rant part) Most of the time when you do it, they say it will take 5 business days to take affect. Now it done by a simple program so it shouldn't take that long but I'll cut them some slack because it may have to make it's way through multiple organisation's systems and they want to set an expectation that they can make sure they meet, but I did one this morning and they claimed it would take 20 business days. (FOR WHAT) Why do I think that during those 20 days I'll be getting e-mails asking me if I did it by mistake, was I sure, or would I like to reconsider. :lol:
I have noticed multiple times recently that after opening a new digital account, I still got spam from them despite indicating I didn't want it. One of them I have unsubscribed and reported as spam multiple times but they get through the filters some how.

Then there's some *******s who use the "accept terms of service & subscribe to our crappy newsletter" all in one checkbox.

EDIT: Why is that censored? I didn't think it was that bad a word.

Rant: I got into a decently-paying survey. Spent like 15 minutes on it, only to be told at the end that they reached the maximum number of participants. [pissed]

Was watching a Elder Scrolls lore video and ESO is so dead-looking:

There's absolutely nothing in that design that stands out or looks beautiful, even though it's a fairytale castle. I can't figure out why.

Was watching a Elder Scrolls lore video and ESO is so dead-looking:

I don't play ESO but I was excited to see what they made the previously-unseen provinces look like. But somehow they made everything look so cartoony and kind of genericy bland that it's kind of disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom