Random Rants 92 - Not Enough Snerk

Status
Not open for further replies.
View attachment 627018

Why?

Also, does so short a video get you a considerable income due to the massive views?

Can't people just send me the money? I don't feel like using plasticine.
Funny, I've kinda gotten the opposite impression of YT over the years. They changed the algorithm to account for watch time, which in combination with increased commercialization has generally meant a shift away short-form user-generated videos to longer videos pumped out by content farm channels.

Funny, I've kinda gotten the opposite impression of YT over the years. They changed the algorithm to account for watch time, which in combination with increased commercialization has generally meant a shift away short-form user-generated videos to longer videos pumped out by content farm channels.

Would make more sense.
I don't know how youtube pays - if it is views related, time-spent related or a combination/function with both.

It's rather bizarre, how one thing leads to another... suddenly I seem to be lost in a morass of videos made by academics making reaction videos to movies related to their field. Kinda like I posted a few pictures of odd-looking cakes here awhile ago, and suddenly all Pinterest wants to recommend to me now is pictures of cakes.

The history ones are interesting. I actually learned something about Octavian I hadn't known before as a result of getting into an argument with one of the commenters (doesn't alter my view that Gladiator is a stupid movie, though). I'm a bit befuddled at how someone who's an expert in Tudor history could fail to include Reign in a list of the very worst dramatic presentations of that era.

There's an insane number of reaction videos by people who are watching the Harry Potter movies for the first time. And then there's the woman who decided to do reaction videos for Ben-Hur and The Ten Commandments and couldn't remember which part "Charles Heston" had played - Moses or Pharaoh... :dubious: ... and wondered if the ancient Egyptians had believed in any gods. That comment garnered her several long posts that lectured her on the Egyptian gods (I didn't write those, but would have been tempted if nobody else had).

I'm really not happy with the fact that I seem to have been tarred as some sort of right-wing crank on this forum. I'd protest that I'm not sure what I've done to earn it, but the truth is I understand the process pretty well, I would just have liked to think that CFC was insulated from that sort of thing.

I suppose the context for this is a broader rant that all of the internet has been colonised by social media, and that forums with their own little micro-cultures are a thing of the past.

Last edited:
I'm really not happy with the fact that I seem to have been tarred as some sort of right-wing rank on this forum. I'd protest that I'm not sure what I've done to earn it, but the truth is I understand the process pretty well, I would just have liked to think that CFC was insulated from that sort of thing.

I suppose the context for this is a broader rant that all of the internet has been colonised by social media, and that forums with their own little micro-cultures are a thing of the past.
Sorry to hear about how the decay of society singled you out.

John Stossel is a libertarian mouthpiece in the US. I know your friends are in the UK but the libertarian youth pipeline is similar in both countries, I imagine. He pushes kids with money into economic rabbit holes about the church of capitalism and how a Randian free market without constraints would cure all ailments of society and the human condition. Turning everything in a money equation is not only the goal but also a moral imperative. Any kind of regulation or constraint is tantamount to a grievous assault on one's innate rights. These high schoolers go on to private schools that have curricula strongly biased toward conservative economics. Then those college students develop into either libertarian fundamentalists or your average run-of-the-mill conservative, depending on how their "radicalization" goes.

He's not a libertarian. He's a conservative. Many just pretend to be libertarians.

I'm really not happy with the fact that I seem to have been tarred as some sort of right-wing crank on this forum. I'd protest that I'm not sure what I've done to earn it, but the truth is I understand the process pretty well, I would just have liked to think that CFC was insulated from that sort of thing.

Perhaps only in the eyes of those pretty far to the left. :)

I seem to have been tarred as some sort of right-wing crank
You. Right-wing. What did I miss.
(other than JK Rowling comparing Scottish nationalism to Nazism, which I suspect is not the case)

I'm really not happy with the fact that I seem to have been tarred as some sort of right-wing crank on this forum.
J...o...i...n... u...s...

There will be free coffee and donuts in the lounge. Please bring your copy of National Review to enter; if you don’t have one, just say the password (“don’t knock Enoch.”) This week’s discussions include Dumping Nuclear Waste, That’s What Poor Countries Are For and Can We Move Britain Further Away From Continental Europe? Logistics and Strategy.

These things are relative.

Hah, welcome to the club.

it is America Ascendant . Rolling Stones said asking questions is a Russian thing . It will pass .

Because you are the hero Cfc deserves, but not the one it needs right now.
You are probably a billionaire vigilante too, which would explain the right wing element :)

as there is nowhere to post it , it seems possible that Russians are slowly encircling a sizeable concentration of Ukranians , might have really stopped some sort of an operation against the Snake lsland and Mariupol is hurting , like because there will be no relief . They are already blaiming each other .

I got bit by a dog on Saturday on my hand. It broke my skin so I cleaned and bandaged the wound. Later that day my hand started to swell and get red and painful. So I went to a doctor and he took an X-ray which was negative and gave me some antibiotics and a tetanus shot. Well the shot kicked in today. I got it in my shoulder and pain at the injection site has immobilized my arm. Plus I have flu like symptoms as a result of the shot.

And to top it all off animal control called my Mom since it was her dog. It’s kind of up in the air what they’re going to do. The dog is a really sweet dog most of the time but she does get aggressive around strange animals which is why she bit me in the first place as I was trying to restrain her from another dog.

Rabies check?

Could be anything in this case. Dogs (and also cats) have several bugs in their mouth which can cause inflammation and up to sepsis (example https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capnocytophaga_canimorsus ). If you notice that it's getting worse, you should go back to the doctor. EDIT: FAST, I mean. Sepsis can kill a healthy adult within 48 hours. Better get it checked that you're doing fine to rule it out.

The rants thread has almost been pushed to the second page. What happened? Was there a major outbreak of positivity on here?

I've been down with the flu (not rona) since last Tuesday and I'm still in a lot of pain and coughing hard. I have done no work, no hobbies, can't even get out of bed most of the day for almost two whole weeks and I'm going insane. Worst illness I've had in years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom