1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Apr 8, 2019.

1. haroon

haroon Chieftain

The content shouldn't be a problem, it is the dialectic of our civilization, but man 1800s' bible? and old history book? that can worth something, take a good care of it. Now even a 90s batman toys can really worth a lot not to mention rare classical books/works

Last edited: May 15, 2019
    The_J likes this.
  2. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Some prices are insane on Amazon. And I discovered that some people post sales on both Amazon and Bonanza, not caring where they sell an item. That means it's harder to look around for a bargain.

I've cautioned Star Trek fanzine collectors about certain titles. Spock Enslaved is a notorious fanzine from the '70s (one of the earliest to show at least partial nudity in the artwork), and there are people who try to sell it online for $250-$500 USD. I tell people that if they want that one, to shop around and be patient. I got my copy for under $25 USD.

The bible could be worth something. A museum might be interested in the history books, or maybe a library that collects that sort of thing as a reference-only item, not for borrowing.

Anyway, I have a rant: The Big Fish Games app hasn't worked for me since yesterday. I am strongly considering signing up with a different gaming site.

haroon likes this.
  3. haroon

haroon Chieftain

The prices of this kind of commodity is kind a relative, for some consumer it may worth nothing, however for the collector it worth so much. Pretty much like an old car, you must find the right person or group in order to take the advantage of it.

However luckily we can always sell it online and let the right people find our product from the search engine. And your suggestion about bringing the old bible to the museum is really a nice idea. @aimeeandbeatles can bring some of her antique to the museum just to show and let them examine the books, just to know how much does it worth currently, and surely such institution will give a right price and not trying to take advantage of you or anything.

Try cat quest on your mobile phone Valka, it is a real time rpg game, but I think you shouldn't miss it (obviously from the title)

4. Valka D'Ur

Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't have a mobile phone.

haroon likes this.
  5. Samson

Samson Chieftain

I am not sure about this game, but you can install android in a virtual box and use android apps on a PC. When I did it for 1 app it worked well.

6. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I guess that'd be quite some overkill under most circumstances. There are tons of games for the PC, why should you bother about an Android game?

7. Samson

Samson Chieftain

I certainly did not do it for a game, but it took me less time than installing civ 4 bts from scratch, and time is the only cost. [EDIT] There is also the cost of disk space, but android is fairly light.

8. haroon

haroon Chieftain

3 weeks ago we left our house for nearly 2 weeks (actually we only plan to go for 2 days but yea plan changed), when we arrived at home, enter our house, open the back door which lead to our inner half-open backyard where our kitchen is located, we noticed the sign of mouses already chilling in our kitchen. Eaten potatoes, the places where we put seeds like cumin, white and black sesame seeds etc were pillaged, it was a total mess.

We have been living in this house for nearly 2 years, we had problem with bats, but now it's gone, but this is the first time we have problem with rats. I think that is because we always have cats circulating our house, neighborhood cats just jump to our window, come inside and chilling, and all of that stuff. So at that time I think we gonna have one of our favorite cat to stay every night in our house, particularly in our kitchen. After that things just seems fine, it seems the mouse already gone

However this morning when my wife moved the cooker, there he was behind the cooker, and he run, jumped to the floor and gone, like a freaking ninja, and the cat just do nothing he let the mouse pass like nothing happened :thumbsup: So I know this cat is not fit for the job, and I will not leave this matter to him, so I buy the most popular and notorious mouse poison that exist in the online market and it will arrive tomorrow.

Today we arrived at home bit late, and again our favorite cat directly entered our house when we open the door. After we put all the children to sleep, me, wife and our cat spend time hanging around in the kitchen. When my wife open one of the kitchen cupboard, suddenly the mouse jumped from the cupboard to the floor, run passed through all of us (including the cat) and gone, both of us screamed, the mouse run passed the cat, and the cat looking at us like "why the heck are you screaming" and we... we are so exhauseteddsfsad.

Tomorrow I will kill that dirty mouse!

a.jpg

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

LOOOOOL lazy cat
    If it were practical you could borrow my boi he would most certainly not let a mouse get away like that, he's the black and white one, there are pictures in the Cats and Kittens thread

haroon likes this.
  10. haroon

haroon Chieftain

I wish we are neighbor lol, but I got no time, before that filthy rats spread typhus in this house I should move fast, wish me luck

Lexicus likes this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

AdamCrock and haroon like this.
  12. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Since you have kids in the house, I suggest that you try a trap first, before poison. Peanut butter is a good bait. Since you have seen the culprit and if it is indeed a rat and not a mouse, get a rat trap. :)

haroon and Lexicus like this.
  13. haroon

haroon Chieftain

it's a mouse, he is small, but I because my head was pretty mess up I keep changing word from rat to mouse.

I will try to be-careful and put it strictly at night when my children is sleeping. My children sleep at 8, and I will applied the poison at 10 and I will lock the backdoor before I sleep. If I do that, is there any way that my children or family still endangered? Our kitchen is located in the backyard of our house (but it's surrounded by wall, so no cat or other animal will be harm also in the process), so it's somewhat outside of the house.

I will explain you about this poison, this poison already sold 3500 time from only one store and get 1800 review and rate 4.7 out of 5. The reviewer put so many pictures of death mouse/rat that killed by this poison, but yes you are right this poison is extremely lethal, in the description the rat will died within one minute then dried up (not smelly), and they suggest us to put a water near the poison, because after the mouse took the poison he will directly search for water, if we put a water we can spot the death mouse near the place where we put the poison. It's a Chinese product, the price is insanely cheap it's like $0.28/sachet, surely we can sense dangerous from the price alone.

On the side note there is also this other poison, a lot more expensive, nearly $6, 1300+ successful transaction with 500+ review, and again 4.7 out of 5 and they claimed that this poison is a lot milder, if by any accident this poison consumed by human (and none of us plan to do it) it can easily cured with antidote Vitamin K1 Injection but the description seems bogus to me. They said, the poison are made to be specifically the food of their (rat/mouse) dream, so they will definitely eat it, and even they will bring it to their colony so their colony will join the feast, and this poison need 3-5 days to killed the mouse, they will died thirsty somewhere near the water source (sewer?). However I cannot imagine how the mouse carry those "food" to their colony's granary. It's just seems like a rodent poison utopia for me.

It is pretty much remind me of this commercial:

Last edited: May 16, 2019
    Birdjaguar likes this.
  14. Samson

Samson Chieftain

It is probably worth reading a bit about how to do it. I am not at all an expert, but my understanding is that mice tend to eat a little bit of food from one place then move one, where rats will keep eating from one food source until it is gone. Therefore to poison mice you tend to leave multiple poison bait deposits around where they feed, whereas for rats you can leave one big one. Most people who do this get little boxes with mouse or rat sized doors, and put the poison in them. This is an extra precaution about other animals eating it. If you have no pets and it is away from wildlife I guess this may not be necessary.

The_J and haroon like this.
  15. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Thank you so much for the information Samson, we bought 5 sachet, I will divide the first 2 sachet into four part and spread it. Thanks for the information.

Nope clear, my pet was no longer with me. We just have frequent visitor ;) and tomorrow no more open house after 8 pm.

16. Valka D'Ur

We had a mouse infestation in the summer of 1993 (the City decided not to mow the grass on municipality-owned property, so the mouse population skyrocketed). Since we lived near the river, a wildlife sanctuary, and a generally semi-wild part of town, we had mice all over the place.

I had three cats at the time. One spent a lot of time outside and made short work of the outside mice. She expected her offspring and grand-offspring to take care of the inner mice, but... problem. Offspring (Maggie's daughter, Lightning) thought mice were icky things. Grand-offspring (Maggie's grandson, Tomtat) had never succeeded at hunting before (Maggie tried to teach him but he'd never seen the point, and in any case our poodle kept trying to convince Tomtat that he was really a dog and not a cat).

So one night, around 4 am, I woke up to hear thumping noises in the kitchen downstairs. I went down to see what was going on, and found Tomtat and Lightning there. Tomtat was happily batting a dead mouse around the room, and flipped it over to his mother ("Hey, mom, your turn!")... and Lightning backed away, daintily making sure the mouse didn't touch her ("Dead mice? ICK!").

So when Tomtat saw me seeing all this, he promptly thought he was in trouble. I realized my dad and grandmother would never believe me when I told them about Tomtat's first kill, so I needed evidence. I grabbed an empty jar with a lid, scooped the dead mouse into the jar, and then picked Tomtat up, gave him a big hug, and told him he was a very good cat. He started to purr, and was a little disappointed that I took his mouse away.

Next thing, I woke everyone up, showed them the dead mouse, and said, "Look what Tomtat did! He killed a mouse, isn't that WONDERFUL?" :goodjob:

Well, they weren't quite awake enough to really appreciate it, but it was the first of several mice Tomtat killed that summer. The situation was so bad that a neighbor asked to rent a couple of my cats to catch the mice in her house. I refused, for a variety of reasons, the most obvious of which is that I don't let my cats go into unsafe situations (there was a dog there that was known to attack other animals).

On the issue of poison: Please try traps first. You have both children and animals there, and poison should never be tried unless all other remedies have failed. It would be tragic if your cat died as well. Remember that animals track stuff all over the place and then lick their paws.

haroon likes this.
  17. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Nice story :) if only my cat try to hunt it, the mouse is a done deal, but he seems like sort of a pacifist

I really hope I post about this thing earlier in the question and answer forum.

Look here is what will I do, there are gutter where all the rain water going out and also the water from the washing machine pour out, and I believe the mouse also coming out from that. I only restrictively lays the poison along that way, and in the morning I will make sure to pour it over with lots of water so everything will wash out to the sewer. I hope this is good enough. I haven't bought the trap yet while typhus and cholera are still a thing here unfortunately.

edit: once you got a typhus, it will be forever with you, ugh

18. Farm Boy

Farm Boy I swear..

Is the active ingredient warfarin? Sounds like warfarin.

haroon likes this.
  19. haroon

haroon Chieftain

It is a chinese product, written in Chinese language, this is what I can found from youtube:

While here is where I bought the product

But the underline point is that, the rat will not even rotten, it will just dried up.

What do you think @Farm Boy

20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Yes. It is a blood thinner and the critters bleed to death internally.

Farm Boy and haroon like this.