1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. haroon

haroon Chieftain

Claiming a bond over someone that he doesn't have a bond with is creepy at best or obnoxious at the least.

I know Adam uses the wrong sentence from the story that he post, he obviously didn't mean that the girl is belong to him. Admitting his poor wording doesn't mean his action gets dictated.

Btw does Lexicus has every right to object? Or shall he obliged to every post so he can appear less patronizing to you?

Lexicus likes this.
  2. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

You would be correct. I dodged a bullet.

3. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I admit I was wrong to write "my" girl, I absolutely don't claim ownership, maybe it's a phrase I heared or seen somewhere and used it automaticaly - like You guys say a cultural thing. To be honest I haven't been thinking much about the choice of words - true. I hope I haven't offended anyone. I'll be more careful in the future.

haroon and Lexicus like this.
  4. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

It's a minefield out there, everybody please be careful either way! :)

5. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Yes, it helps to review a post before hitting 'submit' to make sure that what you've typed is not likely to cause misunderstandings and arguments (misunderstandings, especially; arguments are just a fact of life around here).

Just be grateful that Mary isn't part of this conversation. ;) Both of us are feminists, but she's much more emphatic about it than I am (different life experiences, plus she's a generation younger), and would have torn about a dozen strips off you by now.

Mind you, that's not permission to anyone here to use sexist language or attitudes toward me. I'm just reminding you (plural 'you') that I don't tend to blame all men for the actions of some men.

I just adopted a personal rule several decades ago that's served me well in life: Never intrude into another person's committed relationship (be it dating, engaged, living together, living apart but committed, or married). And keep in mind that a friendly conversation is usually just a friendly conversation and more should not be implied, suspected, or expected.

That said, I'm writing a story (the one I keep mentioning) in which arranged marriages are a fact of life. This is going to irritate some eventual readers (especially female readers), but in the society I'm setting up (and how it often was in real history), the young men don't get a say, either. When told they're going to marry so-and-so on such-and-such-a-day, the only correct response is "Yes, Father," and to show up on time for the ceremony.

But I've also decided that my main male protagonists are among the men of this society who respect that "no means NO" (am currently plotting out a conversation between one of the characters and a female character asking if he would accept "no" from his wife, who was contractually obligated not to refuse to do her "duty" - this is, after all, a story that takes place in the 11th century... it's hypothetical at this point in the story because he's not married yet, so I'm trying to decide how he's going to handle this issue). It's a juggling act between modern 21st century readers' sensibilities and what would be historically common societal attitudes among the nobility.

6. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

You probably grew up with this:

Link to video.

AdamCrock and haroon like this.
  7. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

:lol: Counterpoint

Each day through my window I watch her as she passes by
    I say to myself you're such a lucky guy
    To have a girl like her is truly a dream come true
    Out of all the fellows in the world she belongs to me
    But it was just my imagination
    Runnin' away with me

AdamCrock and Birdjaguar like this.
  8. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

The Temptations are hard to beat. :)

9. choxorn

choxorn Watermelon Headcrab

lol wut

10. cardgame

cardgame Obsessively Opposed to the Typical

Narrator: they absolutely were not

hobbsyoyo and Lexicus like this.
  11. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

wack

hobbsyoyo and cardgame like this.
  12. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

You forgot to include ‘little did he know’.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

cardgame and haroon like this.
  14. haroon

haroon Chieftain

This is a merciless machine, it lost the organic intelligent of human, better let robot take over the future justice system, they are equally strict and not corrupted

15. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

The most charitable way I can explain this is the prosecutor being a careerist sociopath.

haroon likes this.
  16. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Wait so now... women DO make false rape accusations and we SHOULDN'T just believe them? That seems a rather large U-turn.

Edit: Unless it's just the length of the sentence you're referring to as the miscarriage of justice.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  17. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

According to the article, the evidence said no rape took place.

18. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

You could have officials be appointed by a neutral board based on professional merit rather than be directly elected, as you do with judges, prosecutors, sheriffs, county clerks, etc. but that would be more undemocratic than not letting the poor, blacks an Injuns vote so my understanding is that it's OK. :/

19. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Oh well if the article said that I guess it can't have happened then. Never mind that the victim testified that he raped her and he was convicted of raping her, some article on a hip hop website disagrees so that obviously takes precedence.

20. Takhisis

Takhisis ΑΛΗΘΩС ΑΝΕСΤΗ

What about witnesses? After all, testis unus, testis nullus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.