1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

Confessions mean nothing in a country that regularly beats confessions out of suspects.

2. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Maybe there's some more information to this story that I've been unable to find, but... am I in upside down world here?

The arch-advocate for punitive responses to sexual violence, and the person least likely to disbelieve any woman's testimony in such cases, and most likely to downplay the prevalence of false-rape accusations, is now suddenly warning of the dangers of punitive responses to sexual violence, outright dismissing the alleged* victim's testimony, and posting a link to a clearly biased article on the side of the alleged* rapist which is absolutely swamped with comments about how this "b**ch" is a massive slut who should be punished for underage drinking!!!!

I mean... has someone hacked his account or something? This really can't just be because he's black and she's white can it? Please tell me it's not that...

* given that he's been convicted I probably shouldn't even be using "alleged" here, but let's be charitable.

3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

https://www2.ljworld.com/news/publi...eing-raped-as-teen-devastation-that-followed/

And then some of the lovely comments posted under the original article:

So, for all the times I've been torn a new one for not immediately believing the alleged victim, or for being told I must hate women for even daring to suggest that they might be capable of lying.... tell me what I'm missing here that is suddenly making all this go completely out of the window?

4. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Warlord

My wife's having an especially bad week and I knew today was going to be peak crappiness for her so I arranged to have a nice bouquet and chocolates delivered to her work. I even paid extra to have them delivered within a certain window.

They didn't come at all today. Unclear if they are going to come tomorrow. I've asked for a refund for the expedite fees and if they don't make the delivery tomorrow, I'm reversing all the charges with my bank.

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Entangled Retired Moderator Supporter

Terrible @hobbsyoyo . Cross them off your list of vendors.

cardgame and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Make sure that they didn't go anywhere else, lest you be in trouble on that front too.

cardgame likes this.
  7. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Canada Post is up to its "we really don't have to bother delivering parcels if we don't feel like it so we're just going to lie about it" crap again. I detest having a substitute carrier on this route because 99% of them are absolute morons who have no idea that they're actually supposed to deliver the parcels.

I found a delivery notice card in my mailbox. I was home all day. No attempt was made to buzz my suite, and no attempt was made to knock on my door. When I called to complain about it I was told "we don't do redelivery."

I said, "Oh yes, you do, as it's been done for me on numerous occasions before when a carrier has pulled this stunt." I informed him that I don't care what their rules say because so many of these carriers already have the notices pre-written and just slip those into the mailbox instead of making an honest attempt to deliver, I don't drive, so I will NOT be going to the post office to pick up whatever the thing is, and then he told me it also had a C.O.D. charge.

That has me baffled. The only things I ever order that I have to pay for at the door are pizza and Chinese food. I don't get either of these through the mail.

Amazon Marketplace will not ship an order until it's been paid for, and neither will Etsy or Society6 (the only companies I've purchased from lately). I was informed that the purchase was made on May 16, and I've gone through my receipts... I didn't buy anything on May 16. But the package has my name and address on it.

The only charge I can think of that it might be is some sort of customs fee, but the values of the packages I'm still expecting isn't high enough to have to pay that.

Anyway, I will find out what's going on on Friday (I informed the Canada Post agent that I would not be home tomorrow so I wanted redelivery on Friday - I would be home all day).

Tomorrow I go for another post-op checkup at the eye clinic.

8. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Warlord

I smell a scam. :shifty:

Silurian likes this.
  9. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

The only things I've bought lately that haven't come yet have been the Gillian Bradshaw historical novels (all from various Amazon Marketplace sellers who I've purchased from before so I know the only problem I'm likely to encounter is a book that isn't in the condition advertised - in which case I complain, and they either refund my money or send a replacement book that is as advertised) and something from Society6 that was purchased 4 days ago and shipped today. Everything I get from Etsy is small enough to fit into the regular mailbox, and again it's from people I've purchased from before (Canadian sellers, so there's not even any issue of customs).

So whatever this is has to be one of the Amazon books (I bought several in the optimistic hope that I'm going to be able to read them at some point this year, maybe by fall - can't read books yet as the print is all still a blur).

10. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

The announced a fire drill for 9 am (which was 15 minutes ago) that hasn't happened yet, so everyone is kind of just hanging around and not bothering to start anything big since they figure they will be interrupted. Good time to post. :lol:

The_J, hobbsyoyo and Lexicus like this.
  11. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

That's a bi-weekly occurrence around here (or whatever the term for "twice per week" is).

12. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

If they actually happened on time, it wouldn't be so bad. But we're still in limbo 26 minutes later.

13. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Apparently, bi-weekly can either mean once every two weeks or twice a week. Thanks a lot, English

14. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

The New York Times has finally put a stop to people circumventing its paywall using Incognito mode

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

45 stinking minutes and still counting.
    And the worst thing, is even after all the anticipation, I'll still jump out of my chair when the damn alarm goes off.

16. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

90 minutes and counting argggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggggg

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  17. Snerk

Snerk Smeghead

FIRE FIRE FIRE! THIS IS NOT A DRILL! SRSLY GTFO RAH!

hobbsyoyo and rah like this.
  18. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Another 60 minutes and I'll set a damn fire.

shadowplay and hobbsyoyo like this.
  19. Broken_Erika

Broken_Erika Nothing

That'll probably get you fired.:mischief:

Silurian likes this.
  20. The_J

The_J Say No 2 Net Validations Retired Moderator Supporter

I didn't get the really high paying job at the EFSA which I really wanted to have :(.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.