1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

If they offered me a 6 month severance to avoid an age discrimination lawsuit, I'd welcome it. ;)

2. AdamCrock

AdamCrock Master of Darkness

I actually now work in a Parcel Delivery Office branch of Polish Post Office. In here postman usualy leave delivery notices the day after the delivery attempt was made. So maybe the courier wanted to deliver Your package the day before You found delivery note in Your mailbox.

We very often have complaints about that and indeed often fresh couriers (usually hired via outsourcing agencies) make no attempts at delivery because they are paid crap and the staff rotation is big so as a result they don't know the "lay of the land" in their delivery region and often don't make it on time so we have to send delivery notices the next day.

Sorry to hear about Your frustration . I don't know how are things at Canada Post but from Your post I see they are not so much different than here in Poland.

3. Manfred Belheim

Manfred Belheim Warlord

Leaving delivery notices the day after seems rather weird and inefficient.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  4. AdamCrock

Nowadays we don't do it the same day because :
    1. Couriers don't have them pre-written (as some people might think) and they usually dont want to waste time - they just go to the next delivery point and postman delivers notice next day.
    2. We rely more on electronic notices SMS/e-mail so when the courier checks "undelivered" status on his smaprtphone the client receives electronic notification at the same moment.

edit : the paper ones are more like tradition/backup ;)

5. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Finally, I went to lunch and they had the fire drill so I missed it. It was only 3.5 hours later than scheduled.

The_J, AdamCrock and hobbsyoyo like this.
  6. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Steady now, tell me what happened.

7. AdamCrock

Maybe they wanted to add in some element of unpredictability to it ? Anyways a good thing is You were not taking a ... been occupied in a bathroom the moment the alarm went off ;)

8. rah

rah Warlord Supporter

Why attribute smart planning when incompetence is the more likely possibility?

9. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I pasted the URL into an incognito browser window and it was like "You're using private mode! Subscribe to view this article..."

10. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Why are you adding the word ‘smart’ when nobody necessarily implied it?
    I've just tried it and got the ’you've got X free articles remaining’ line.

11. tjs282

tjs282 Un(a)bashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Yeah... We usually insist that our authors choose a different phrase for that (and for "bi-monthly", and "bi-annually") because it's so easy to misinterpret -- and if a reader can't be sure how often sampling was conducted, that can make a study's reproducibility a little problematic...

Lexicus likes this.
  12. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

Yeah I mean I must've used up my free articles. Point is you used to be able to get around that by going incognito.

13. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

Restart your modem?

14. old_andy

old_andy Chieftain

Day 8, still no effing Facebook.

Currently trying to achieve through sheer force of will that the asteroid orbiting earth comes crashing down on Menlo Park, or where ever Mark Zuckerberg's GPS has him pegged at the moment.

These dicks have, in their possession, the following:

My full name, first, and last
    my date of birth
    my place of employment
    my email address at my place of employment
    a picture of me -if you do a backwards image search with the picture I posted in the pictures thread you too can find out where I work.. I MADE IT THAT *********** SIMPLE FOR THEM!!!!
    my personal cell phone number
    a photocopy of my passport
    a photocopy of my Swedish ID

a very snarky letter telling in no uncertain terms what I thought of their vetting system, their family heritage and the dangers of extended sibling interbreeding, as well as the various farm yard animals one could expect to encounter in said family heritage.

[pissed]

is it possible to sue a tech giant for being a raging poop orifice?

:gripe:

The_J, BenitoChavez and Lexicus like this.
  15. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I'm at work and I'd probably get fired if I did that. I dunno where the modem I'm using even is in the building lol

jarred! likes this.
  16. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

It's Thursday afternoon, who's gonna notice? Just say you're running an errand for "Jim."

Or Stacy. Female superiors are scarier right?

17. Takhisis

Takhisis excuse me

Lexicus is in Washington DC IIRC, where women don't get to be the boss.

18. Lexicus

Lexicus Warlord

I work for a building trades union where women really don't get to be the boss.

19. jarred!

jarred! Chieftain

So maybe "Big Jim" would be the most appropriate boogey-man-name?

20. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

When I'm expecting parcels, I check my mail every day. There have been times when I've seen the Canada Post van pull up and I wait by the phone in case there's something that won't fit in the locker and they have to buzz me (or in case it's something where the seller requires a signature).

And in a lot of cases, there's no buzz, no knock, the van pulls away, and when I check later that day, I find the damn delivery notice.

Yes, I do phone Canada Post to complain. Just leaving a note does not constitute a genuine delivery attempt, and when the supervisor says the carrier swears he tried to contact me, I tell them he's lying. I don't care what the rules on the website say. This "one attempt and leave a note" crap means that every single one of them could just leave notes and never bother trying to contact the addressee, since they're not required to re-deliver.

This has happened a few times with UPS, when the driver didn't try to contact me. The last time was when a substitute driver pulled this stunt but the regular driver caught him at it the next day when he brought my new bookshelf and asked if I'd been home the day before. I told him yes, and he said the sub had claimed he buzzed and there was no answer. I told him I'd been home all day and hadn't even known the UPS van had come. So the regular driver said he was going to mention this to their supervisor.

What I didn't tell the CP agent yesterday is that if this falls through tomorrow, I am going to be emailing GoPublic - one of the CBC investigative journalism departments dealing with consumer issues where customers aren't treated fairly. Since naming and shaming is the only way that some companies are persuaded to do the right and ethical thing, and this has been going on for years, I'm finally angry enough to do it. At the very least, if they choose to investigate it, more people would be aware of this and try to get the rules changed.

AdamCrock likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.