1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants: --... ---.. Don't expect others to convert it for you.

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Cutlass, Apr 8, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Synsensa

Synsensa - Retired Moderator

Strange, I thought you were spineless. :smug:

2. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    I have an interview coming up. I know it should be a rave, but I’m nervous as crap.

3. Takhisis

Takhisis daria dance party

Don't be spineless like me, CivG. You can do it.

4. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Hm, i had the misfortune to read an article on the Oedipal Complex, supposedly peer-reviewed, where Odysseus is called "Odyssey".
    I have to assume the writer thought they were being very clever, trying to use the clause, only that they used the wrong clause. The correct would be... Odysseus (Odysseys) /facepalm :)

5. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Have a couple of questions ready for the interviewer. Bring a copy of your resume with you. Be on time, actually get there 10 minutes early. Dress nicely in a manner suited for the job you are trying to get. If your hands get cold and clammy, go to the rest room just before the interview and wash them under hot water to warm them up. Smile. Breathe. And don't be afraid to pause and think before answering a hard question. make sure that you get the name and contact info for the interviewer so you can send them a thank you note as a follow up. In that note, tell them that after the interview you are very interested in working with them and helping the company succeed.

The_J likes this.
  6. Zkribbler

Zkribbler Deity

:old: Remember. while they are interviewing you, you are interviewing them.
    You do not yet know if you want the job.

...and do what Birdjaguar said.

hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  7. Gori the Grey

Gori the Grey The Poster

All good advice. I'll re-emphasize this bit with an anecdote. My first job in high school was bagging groceries at a grocery store. Workers had to wear a tie. The boss took interviews every Tuesday. It was a known thing that he wanted you to come to the interview in a tie. I did. He hired me, and put me to work that day, in part because I was already properly dressed!

The_J likes this.
  8. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Is it though? Yesterday I reheated some pork medallions (pork tenderloin cooked with white wine vinegar) and some rice I made the previous Sunday and it tasted perfectly fine. It had been in my fridge in a sealed Tupperware container. I wouldn't go much more than a week, but for sealed and refrigerated food, I've never had any problems with a week.

9. Takhisis

The bit about washing one's hands with hot water is a tip I'd never heard or read of before. Nice.

10. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

Despite making under $20k I'm paying the government taxes instead of getting a return...

Cutlass and hobbsyoyo like this.
  11. hobbsyoyo

hobbsyoyo Deity

That's really messed up

12. Takhisis

This is what I felt when a certain Canadian started posting raves about paying taxes.

13. Synsensa

Taxes pay for society. You should want to pay taxes.

Cutlass, hobbsyoyo and Birdjaguar like this.
  14. Ajidica

Ajidica High Quality Person

Really? I'm with hobbs, that's messed up. I'm earning [an amount larger than that] and I got $32 back from the feds.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  15. cardgame

cardgame Sensual Kitten

This is probably partially my fault since I accidentally paperworked myself as "head of household" on my W-2 for my primary job. However, I added on the two-month side-job where I made 15% of my annual and paid in 40% of my federal taxes and my 'tax due' amount doubled... ugh.

side-rant: adding in my student loans would decrease my tax debt by about $25-30, however turbotax wants me to pay $60 to file my taxes if I do that.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  16. Valka D'Ur

Valka D'Ur Hosting Iron Pen in A&E Retired Moderator

Fixed that for you. I don't have a lot of patience with people who rant and complain about paying the school portion of property taxes when they either have no children or their children are grown and out of the system (or not yet in it). My take on it is that it's an investment in what will hopefully be a better-functioning society, and I point out to these complainers that the kids they're helping now just might grow up to be the doctor, nurse, cop, or firefighter who will one day save their lives.

But taxation should be reasonable. There are far too many people in Canada who get out of paying taxes because they found a loophole or they have "Right Honourable" in front of their names, while others get hit with unreasonably high amounts.

Gotta say I'm not amused by the "leech on society" remark from a few posts ago. Even some homeless people do volunteer work that helps society.

17. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I accidentally flooded the bathroom while taking a shower.

18. Synsensa

I've taken from society more than I've contributed. I'm objectively a leech. What some random homeless people get up to is irrelevant to me.

hobbsyoyo likes this.
  19. Takhisis

You mean you're metaphorically a leech. Because if you're a real leech then you have no right to call me spineless with a straight face. ;)

cardgame likes this.
  20. Birdjaguar

Birdjaguar Hanafubuki Retired Moderator Supporter

Proper societies use tax dollars to take care of those who have trouble doing so on their own and to support the general welfare. I pay a bunch and don't mind doing so.

Synsensa and hobbsyoyo like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.