1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Random Rants XXXVIII: First World Problems

Discussion in 'Picture Threads Archive' started by Save_Ferris, Mar 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CheeseWalrus

CheeseWalrus Warlord

As are people complaining about people ranting about the thread title of Random Rants.
    And people complaining about people complaining about people ranting about the thread title of Random Rants.
    etc., etc.:D

2. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

3. MagisterCultuum

MagisterCultuum Great Sage

My laptop is not working. (Right now on on my old laptop, the one with a slowly failing screen with about a hundred vertical lines of random colors. It now runs Ubuntu, and I find its touch-pad annoyingly oversensitive.)

In the middle of playing my modmod yesterday much of the screen flashed in odd colors, and then the machine cut itself off. I was afraid I'd have trouble turning it on again as I have been whenever it does off or into sleep mode since early December, but it restarted itself just fine. (Actually it has never had trouble restarting, only booting up cold.) Last night when I was playing my modmod again my computer just froze, and was unresponsive to absolutely anything for several hours before I decided to just take out the battery and unplug it. I have not been able to get it to turn on since then. The lights and fan turn on like they are supposed to during the first second of booting up, but it just stays that way and never moves past it.

I took it to BestBuy today since I have a $25 gift card there, but they told me it would cost $200 just for them to look at it. I'm still unemployed, and that equals about half of my total savings. When I mentioned that I had recently backed up all the files I care about on my external harddrive, he recommended that I first try taking it home and running system restore from the recovery partition of my harddrive. He said that should fix any software issues or let me know within an hour if it is a hardware problem.

I've probably spent about an hour trying to see if it would finally respond to F11, but this had no effect. I also tried to see if I could restore the OS from my sister's Window7 upgrade disk and F12, but this too had no effect.

Searching on line, I just found one place not too far away that offers free diagnostics and can do all their repairs in the store rather than shipping them off to be worked on elsewhere. I guess I'll take it to them tomorrow, as they are not open on weekends.

Edit: Now it seems like the sound does not work on the old laptop I'm using.

4. GenMarshall

GenMarshall Night Elven Ghost Agent

Versailles City, Vekta, United Terran Systems
    My first world problem...

...there are no jobs!! :mad:

5. Verarde

Verarde Pondering Wearing A Hat

My brother broke my NFL Street 2 disc and didn't tell me....grrrr....Street 3 is fun, but 2 is better in ways.

6. Joecoolyo

Joecoolyo 99% Lightspeed

18? Yeah, that is pretty terrible :p

7. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

Out of curiosity , do you ask yourself "what's the best job I can get?" , or "what's the worst ( obviously within reason) job I would accept?"

8. Cutlass

Cutlass The Man Who Wasn't There.

It's as good as the car I had in college got. :mischief: Of course I had a 350cid engine....

9. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

:goodjob:The only thing that should come in 2 litre variants is milk

10. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

I just hiccuped and sneezed at the same time and that was a little painful.

11. GenMarshall

Well, I am willing to nab a minimum wage job just to get my foot back into the labor pool (And at least repair my employment history). But the issue is that many of the owners of franchises like Burger King or McDonalds aren't willing to hire me based on my employment gap (I've read that most employers won't consider hireing someone who's been out of work for more than, IIRC, 6 months) and education (Seeing me as overqualified for the job).

12. aimeeandbeatles

aimeeandbeatles watermelon

Perhaps dont mention that education on your resume for fast food. Or is that dishonest. I dont know. Ask someone if it is.

13. rugbyLEAGUEfan

rugbyLEAGUEfan Deity

You strike me as far too creative and intelligent for that kinda work ( sorry fast food workers!) ....but I think you'd be surprised how far you could get if you literally set the alarm for 6.30am and were dressed , coffeed up and ready by 8.00 am to spend the next 8 hours genuinely attacking the job market . Make job hunting your job . No CFC , no sending out 2 applications by 9am and calling it a day . Just an all out assault on finding a job that suits you . Cold call , get on the books of every agency you can etc etc .

But I know stuff all about you or your circumstances so I'm sorry if this is presumptuous .

14. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Wherever the Argentine Embassy is, since I do happen to live in Argentina.
    Job hunting, of course. But the bolded… CG, you should try it.

15. GenMarshall

NO!!.

xcl

16. PlutonianEmpire

PlutonianEmpire Socially Awkward Goofball

I must say your President is really really hot. :groucho:

17. Takhisis

Takhisis la la la la la

Not my President, didn't vote the b-yatch and never will.

18. ZeletDude

ZeletDude The Lion

It's surprising how inefficient some cars were before 2008. My mom got my Grandma's 2008 Ford Fusion, and nowadays they get 30-40 MPG, but my mom's gets.. like 24. :lol:

19. madviking

madviking north american scum

Dawg, cuz this thing called Cash for Clunkers happened.

20. Save_Ferris

Save_Ferris Admiring Myself

So that's where you are!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.