Random Raves ΜΔ: Crate Expectations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set a goal of reading 20 books during 2019 and I've already read 6.

Wow, that's fast. Are you getting them from the library or do you already have them, just unread?

Wow, that's fast. Are you getting them from the library or do you already have them, just unread?

I got a library card from the Seattle Public Library that actually works and lets me check out ebooks. I gave up on trying to get my card with the Vancouver Public Library to work.

Before, I relied almost entirely on free books from Amazon and the quality was always... lacking. Trash books made me not want to read.

Now I have access to good books and there's a time limit on them so I feel the pressure to actually read for more than 10-20 minutes every day. :lol:

I got a library card from the Seattle Public Library that actually works and lets me check out ebooks.
Dirty foreigner mooching off of American public services!

I have found some entertaining and even quality stuff on Kindle Unlimited (10 books at a time, no time limits, but $10/mo) but yeah the quality assurance is definitely nonexistent so it's hard to know what to expect. Fortunately I can just return them right away and grab something else. If you like sci-fi there's quite a selection of actual quality on it.

I tried doing the library ebook thing but my local options are total crap! Only allow ~3 iirc and their selection is very minimal, plus the access to the content (the website) is very ugly and poorly functional.

Dirty foreigner mooching off of American public services!

It's a feature. ;)

I have found some entertaining and even quality stuff on Kindle Unlimited (10 books at a time, no time limits, but $10/mo) but yeah the quality assurance is definitely nonexistent so it's hard to know what to expect. Fortunately I can just return them right away and grab something else.

I tried doing the library ebook thing but my local options are total crap! Only allow ~3 iirc and their selection is very minimal, plus the access to the content (the website) is very ugly and poorly functional.

Kindle Unlimited would probably have been better but I could never "justify" the cost. I relied on the free free books. Truly horrifying works. I read maybe 20-25 books over the span of 2+ years from there and 3 or 4 were alright. I don't dread reading anymore. It's wonderful.

If you have a friend from a major city, get them to sign up for a library card for you. Worth the hassle.

Kindle Unlimited would probably have been better but I could never "justify" the cost. I relied on the free free books. Truly horrifying works. I read maybe 20-25 books over the span of 2+ years from there and 3 or 4 were alright. I don't dread reading anymore. It's wonderful.

If you have a friend from a major city, get them to sign up for a library card for you. Worth the hassle.

Check out the Open Library.

That stinks. You can read them online, though. Or use Adobe Digital Editions, but it sucks.

I use Libby or Kindle, and the Kindle feature only works with a US account. :(

Normally I'd just use my .com account but Amazon is smart enough to force local region. Setting up a VPN on my phone is too much effort. :lol:

Finally out of the hospital. Maddy talked nonstop to me for about half an hour (lots of squeaky meows and purring), and is happy to see me. :love:

I wrote a nice 2500 word story, titled"the libation-bearer".
Hint: it isnt about an actual libation-bearer. Someone is scattering something as if he was one :)
Are you publishing your stories? Or how can we read them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom