Random Raves Fifty-one: Anticipation of Joy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
20-strikeout or 5-homer games seem unlikely just because both white and black baseball back then had less of both strikeouts and homers, and it's hard to say for sure because the Negro Leagues never had the best record-keeping and a lot of the games they did play were exhibition or barnstorming games (often against much lesser quality of competition), which is why there's such huge discrepancies in the recorded stat totals of players like Josh Gibson or Satchel Paige compared to the legends about what they "really" did (Gibson, for instance, supposedly hit at least 800 homers, but only around 200 of them were in official games).

The quality of competition in NLB compared to MLB at the time is hard to measure, exactly, but given that of the 6 leagues that were "officially" major league teams before now, 2 were 19th-century leagues that existed for only one season and a third only existed for two seasons in 1914-1915, and a comparison of stats between the players who played in both those leagues and the NL/AL/AA suggests at least two of those three had vastly lower levels of play while MLB and NLB teams played exhibition games a bunch in the 20's and 30's and generally seemed to be evenly matched, the various Negro Leagues almost certainly are better than at least half the leagues that were, before today, "offcially" Major League Baseball.

We might get snow in January, but that's rather more likely than snow in December, which almost never happens.
We got snowed on big time yesterday, so it looks like we will have snow on the ground at Christmas, which is always nice. :snowgrin:

snowing.gif

Hopefully not quite that bad.

Wonderful site! Live videos from other peoples windows. Guessing the locations is fun.

EDIT: Oops, they tell where the window is.

https://www.window-swap.com

Last edited:
Wonderful site! Live videos from other peoples windows. Guessing the locations is fun.

EDIT: Oops, they tell where the window is.

https://www.window-swap.com
Real-time view? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the place I ended up looking at is currently after midnight, yet the scene shown is bright, broad daylight (lovely scenery, though - somewhere in Israel).

Real-time view? 'Cause I'm pretty sure the place I ended up looking at is currently after midnight, yet the scene shown is bright, broad daylight (lovely scenery, though - somewhere in Israel).
I looked through many of them and it does seem to be mix of recorded and real time. Several feature cats on windowsills.

Gosh ! All I see is some bushes and a shop somewhere ! It's summer , oh wait I must have opened a window in the warm regions - I should open another one !

Oooooooh ! Now I've opened Barkley USA - I see a lot of window plants and some kind of a large building outside - possibly a storehouse or a mall ? This is exciting ! Thanks for a link !

WTF ?! Moscow, Russia and no snow ? Green Trees ? This is prerecorded for sure ;)

It's a ten-minute recorded clip, apparently.

This was a bad year, and one of the features of the badness was being unable to get anyone gifts or cards or letters all year. I managed to turn December around enough to be able to get everyone gifts. Still no cards or letters, but I'll take gift-giving.

This was a bad year, and one of the features of the badness was being unable to get anyone gifts or cards or letters all year. I managed to turn December around enough to be able to get everyone gifts. Still no cards or letters, but I'll take gift-giving.
I received a card from my aunt, who always sends a copy of a letter everyone gets (I have no idea who else is on the mailing list). She keeps asking about my dad. I suppose I should mention to her that he died almost 2 years ago... :think:

@Birdjaguar: I passed that window-swap link on to some friends on another forum. They're very appreciative (most are women in their 50s-70s who have been fairly isolated due to the pandemic) and one of them is considering making a recording to share.

You could stand the camera on a tripod.

I still recommend not sharing such personal information, I should reiterate.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom