Random thoughts 1: Just Sayin'

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't understand how those films could make people read more comics. Most of them are badly written formulaic garbage.
The movie-to-comic conveyor belt isn't as effective as you might expect. The quality of the movies entirely aside, there's just too much for new readers, too many series and crossovers an reboots for anybody to make sense of. Even the periodic universe-resets don't help when you're putting out eighty constantly-intersecting book a month. Prospective readers rarely know where to start, and if they did, there's no guarantee that whatever they liked about the films will be their in the comics. Compared to a non-superhero series like The Walking Dead, or even a quasi-superhero series like Hellboy, chasing up the source material is less of an opportunity than a chore. From what I understand, the only Marvel film to direct substantial readership back to the source material has been Guardians of the Galaxy, and that wasn't really new readers so much as existing Marvel (or at least comics) fans trying out a previously C-list title. All the movie have really done is artificially-extend the appearance of relevance.

The entire business model of Marvel and DC was built in an era in which comics were essentially disposable. They were never built for the era of trade paperbacks and graphic novels, and I think the proof of this is found in every comic shop, in which you'll see that their share of the trades is, while substantial, altogether more modest than their share of the monthlies. Beyond a select few landmark series like The Dark Knight Returns or, I don't know, Planet Hulk?, the Big Two trades are for collectors and completionists, and that's a dying market. The future of the comics industry falls in large part to how well Marvel and DC can maintain a loyal monthly following, and they haven't really succeeded in leveraging the superhero boom as you might expect.

Last edited:
I want to register an inb4.

If Trump suddenly starts issuing some tweets denigrating Reince Priebus, it means he (Trump) knows he (Trump) is guilty of obstruction.

Priebus just testified to Meuller. If Trump, out of the blue, finds he needs to be disparaging Priebus, who left the administration over a month ago, it's because he feels he needs to pre-invalidate whatever it is that he knows Priebus was able to give Mueller.

It'll take the form of "longtime Republican operative Reince Priebus . . ."

That's a bit of a gimme, isn't it? Trump's already done something similar with the raid on Manafort's house.

In Animal Crossing: New Leaf, my villagers keep giving me toilets. I have a feeling there's an insult behind this.

I'm not sure that that is - a game, I assume - they may just have an oversupply of them.

Pollen is essentially plant sperm. Therefore, this makes hay fever an STD. Since no one voluntarily takes in pollen, I've also come to the conclusion we are all being raped by trees.

I dunno man, what were you wearing at the time? If you insist on parading around in leafy areas without a bio-hazard suit on, you're basically asking for it.

Pollen is essentially plant sperm. Therefore, this makes hay fever an STD. Since no one voluntarily takes in pollen, I've also come to the conclusion we are all being raped by trees.
Sorry, I wasn't aware that the lungs and the rest of the human respiratory system were reproductive organs.

I don't remember giving birth to any trees lately. Mind you, I stay indoors during the poplar fluff season.

Sorry, I wasn't aware that the lungs and the rest of the human respiratory system were reproductive organs.

I don't remember giving birth to any trees lately. Mind you, I stay indoors during the poplar fluff season.

...Because if it can't impregnant you, it can't be rape...?

You can get HIV from oral sex. Doesn't mean the mouth is a reproductive organ.

It's not rape when trees spread their pollen, what a silly suggestion. It's sexual assault.

Not a very original thought, I already said that on page 1.

Here are some texting abbreviations when texting about anarcho-communism:

brb: better redistribute bread
lol: let's overthrow landlords
smh: seize means-of-production, hurry!
tbh: take back housing
stfu: support the factory union
tfw: tyranny-free workplaces
rofl: revolution on for later?
idc: international democratic confederalism
btw: bourgeoisie trample workers

I like tfw. :)

I like tfw. :)
The only thing I think of when seeing that combination of letters is "temporary foreign workers." That's a four-letter word in Canada.

That's a bit of a gimme, isn't it? Trump's already done something similar with the raid on Manafort's house.
Sorry, I shouldn't have made it primarily about getting credit for predicting it would happen. What I wanted to say was . . . We'll be able to judge how much dirt Trump knows Priebus has on him, by the severity of the strain involved in the pretext Trump concocts for badmouthing Priebus.

Now that I think on it, it might come from Bannon, rather than Trump directly--since Bannon has a more natural pretext. We might start hearing "establishment candidates of the sort that people like Reince Priebus have been giving us for years."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom