Random Thoughts XIII - Radioenergopithecocracy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. That's the point. People sometimes have false memories of events that either never happened or happened in a different way, and it seems absolutely true to them.

I had to look this up, and WTF:

The term "Mandela Effect" was first coined in 2009 by Fiona Broome when she created a website to detail her observance of the phenomenon. Broome was at a conference talking with other people about how she remembered the tragedy of former South African president Nelson Mandela's death in a South African prison in the 1980s.​

Is not Nelson Mandela famous for walking free from prison in 1990 and then being president of South Africa for years afterwards?

I knew the name came from incorrectly thinking Mandela had died, but I always assumed that these people had thought he'd died sometime in the late 90s or early 2000s, not while in prison.

Memory is an odd thing....

I just cannot imagine living through the nineties and not being aware of the Nelson Mandela presidency. He, or at least his administration, invented the "truth and reconciliation" way of dealing with unpleasant histories that has kind of become the be facto "good" way of dealing with the problems. How could you not know that is how it came to be? And that is just one aspect of the way his presidency has shaped the world.

I had to look this up, and WTF:

The term "Mandela Effect" was first coined in 2009 by Fiona Broome when she created a website to detail her observance of the phenomenon. Broome was at a conference talking with other people about how she remembered the tragedy of former South African president Nelson Mandela's death in a South African prison in the 1980s.​
You've never heard of the Mandela effect before? It was all the rage years ago?

Is not Nelson Mandela famous for walking free from prison in 1990 and then being president of South Africa for years afterwards?
Yes. I think the original Mandela effect is significantly different from other manifestations of the phenomenon. My theory is that during the 80s (or 90s or 00s) person X heard something about some political leader dying in prison. Fast forward to the actual year Mandela died in, and when X heard about it they retrospectively connected it with the news they heard all those many years ago, even though they did not connect it with Mandela at that time. This probably comes from having not followed events in South Africa closely, so person X's mental timeline for the country is:
1) Political leader dies in prison
2) Political leader dies of old age
And their brain mixes up the two political leaders

In my case, I was reminded of the Giant of Kandahar by an image of a giant fighting modern soldiers. But during the remembering process my unconscious stepped in and said: "Hold on, wouldn't the myth of the Giant be more likely during Anglo-Afghan Wars (same place, same situation, different time) when the East was an exotic land, and ridiculous tales about cryptids were more of a norm?" So by the time my brain had made the connection to my conscious, I 'remembered' the incident as having supposed to have happened during the Anglo-Afghan Wars

ugh , ı was wrong as well .

once you google it . Supposedly created on the run by a filmmaker , too . Except Evangelists are the same over , actually over time , too . And there would be very much the same story to have come out , if one digs deep enough . There is a reason for it to have existed in 2002 , would very much be the same in 1982 or 1892 . One to be searched by godless Russians , in a variation of the troll hunt by Nazis at around 1942 . Otherwise some other horror story back in time , too .

Common pesticides in food reducing sperm count worldwide, study says​

By Sandee LaMotte, CNN

Pesticides used in our homes, gardens and lawns and sprayed on foods we eat are contributing to a dramatic decline in sperm count among men worldwide, according to a new analysis of studies over the last 50 years. “Over the course of 50 years, sperm concentration has fallen about 50% around the world,” said senior study author Melissa Perry, dean of the College of Public Health at George Mason University in Fairfax, Virginia. “What is not known is the culprit,” Perry said. “While there are likely many more contributing causes, our study demonstrates a strong association between two common insecticides —organophosphates and N-methyl carbamates — and the decline of sperm concentration.”

Widely used pesticides​

One of the most frequently used compounds in the world, organophosphates are the main components of nerve gas, herbicides, pesticides and insecticides and are also used to create plastics and solvents.

More at link.

Yep. That's the point. People sometimes have false memories of events that either never happened or happened in a different way, and it seems absolutely true to them.
In before the inevitable question pops up:

Are you from the Berenstein universe or the Berenstain universe?

“According to Mike Berenstain, confusion over the name has existed since his father's childhood, when a teacher told him there was no such name as "Berenstain" and the correct spelling was "Bernstein".[92] A few examples of the "Berenstein" spelling have been found in references to and knockoffs of official merchandise[93] and publications,[94] and cartoons for the series used an ambiguous pronunciation which may contribute to the false memory.”

Actually, I never give that any thought, since I'm unfamiliar with that bit of pop culture.

I think the original Mandela effect is significantly different from other manifestations of the phenomenon. My theory is that during the 80s (or 90s or 00s) person X heard something about some political leader dying in prison. Fast forward to the actual year Mandela died in, and when X heard about it they retrospectively connected it with the news they heard all those many years ago, even though they did not connect it with Mandela at that time. This probably comes from having not followed events in South Africa closely, so person X's mental timeline for the country is:
1) Political leader dies in prison
2) Political leader dies of old age
And their brain mixes up the two political leaders

My theory was correct! From Wikipedia:

Likewise, false memories of Mandela's death could be explained as the subject conflating him with Steve Biko, another prominent South African anti-apartheid activist, who died in prison in 1977.

Scientists suggest that these are examples of false memories shaped by similar cognitive factors affecting multiple people and families, such as social and cognitive reinforcement of incorrect memories or false news reports and misleading photographs that influence the formation of memories based on them.

I thought of it first :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually, I never give that any thought, since I'm unfamiliar with that bit of pop culture.
The Berenstain Bears were part of my childhood in the late 80s or so.
"Berenstein" sounds more imposing than Bernstein.
Well, nothing gets more imposing when you are from the Bloodstein Bears universe. But on the topic, the guy (Angry Video Game Nerd) did a little documentary on it as it pertains to movies (and he did the whole Berenstain v. Berenstein skit in his review of the video games of the franchise).

The Berenstain Bears were part of my childhood in the late 80s or so.

Well, nothing gets more imposing when you are from the Bloodstein Bears universe. But on the topic, the guy (Angry Video Game Nerd) did a little documentary on it as it pertains to movies (and he did the whole Berenstain v. Berenstein skit in his review of the video games of the franchise).

Quoting this video:

Called the Mandala effect named after Nelson Mandela who people falsely believed died in prison in the eighties. The term applies to all memories that turn out to be wrong.​

This kind of seems to be missing the odd point of the Nelson Mandela thing. It is not that the memory is wrong, we are wrong about loads of weird stuff. It is that is is completely incompatible with what I would assume would be the things he is most famous for, ie. the televised walk out of prison and his presidency transforming both South Africa and the world's attitude to dealing with terrible histories.

imagine the Redneck who is yet to buy the first of his 15 AR-15s to fight his life and ideals against hordes of people of colour ... And the final fall of Whiteness in Africa ! Ugh , where is the fight ? Not much ? Even if we will avoid talking of the horror stories (which reportedly involve very few White victims anyhow , street gangs and all) . Where does THAT put the Redneck ? Surely the terrorist guy died in prison and this is some new guy . The terrorist guy would not be jailed if he was nice . The nice guy would not be the head of state if he was a terrorist and thus not nice . Such stuff happens . Apparently am accused of having had 11 affairs by now , fortunately avoiding the Oscar winner which sets alarm bells ringing around here . No idea whom , but it doesn't matter , right ? Should be at having had 13 affairs or so by next year like 10 years ago , if the trend is kept on .

Whut?

it has been 85 minutes since my post . Spent some 20 minutes of it out , buying soda and cheese . Didn't take 10 minutes for kids on the street talking about it while ı was walking to the shops , like 75 minutes ago . Basically ı am an Enemy of the State , the #1 at various times . As such , whenever it suits , people DO invent a new affair of mine . ALL of which somehow happened back in time , with me never aware of what or who . These claimed affairs very rarely involve Turks . The only one claimed (for a day) was TV actress who was demonstrably not very knowledgeable about the Islamic rituals . Because the narrative is -you know- am an enemy of Ottomans and the re-establishment of Caliphate and victory of Islam over the Infidels . Mackenzie Davis was claimed to be an affair of mine for two or three days , with waves lasting for maybe a week . To increase the ire of some who might have been encouraged to attack me physically . As desired by some troll farm in Istanbul , because good old Americans whispered that ı was at odds with Elon Musk over her and that happened because the guy did not want to pay 20% commissions for each and every business he would have here , even if that 20% would indeed come from Turkish Treasury with bloated contracts . See , enemy of the enemy is something useful and am pretty sure CFC still thinks that (ı was in the primary list of people to be executed had the coup attemp succeeded in 2016) is spam . The oscar winner is a claim not by me or anything but does not fit whatever will be the Bidon narrative next year , so her name disappears instantly . That , in case of some another question of what , involves Americans saving Israel from evil HAMAS . ı have not one single case of affairs or having known these people or anything , but am an idiot in real life and all those old people ı know online were something real back in time and am hated by proxy for being in a position of knowing them .

the claims come and go . But make their mark at times . So , some guy from New Turkey , the lot running the Counter-Revolution in this country , remembered the trolling ı ran once involving that ı would have a date with a Victoria's Secret Model by 2023 and called on Adriana Lima (a Victoria's Secret model) to be around as if in love with some guy certainly wasn't me being smart and gallant , with the whole Instagram coverage for a while while my internet connection anywhere would crash if it involved a page with a certain model of the same company . Reputedly not the brightest of the lot and she might have fallen for my charms , namely the money ı have never had . The claims that ı had an affair with Daisy Ridley started with my positive Star Wars reviews at the time and was defeated in two days as the troll farm prefers me capable of charming only has beens who would settle with me for my money as they were no longer young to be "loved" or something , she wasn't even 30 at the time . ı abducted one Victoria's Secret model and had a dinner by the rings of Saturn , too ; considering am an Admiral in the Starfleet . None of this is real , except kids and people talk about it all the time , if there is pressure and prodding to that end .

threadwise this says everybody would know Nelson Mandela died in prison , if there were many saying that he did . .

This didn't really clear anything up.

What's wrong with this ad?
Adfail.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom