Rat 24 - AWE Training Game

AWE pangaea sounds fine with me. I will be away from 21Sep to Oct 8th as stated before.

We can try China or Hittites, i think we should let the now well trained trainees decide :)

Congrats to all. :goodjob:

A nice introduction to AW with two excellent trainers. Looking forward to your next game.

I have actually played an AWE game with the Hittites. I don't really suggest it for a second AWE attempt however. They are less than stellar and a less good start could make the game difficult indeed. Ideally, you want to use your UU early on to do major damage to a single opponent, but this can fail if too many early contacts which is fairly common.

Ok, time to get the next game going...but so far we have a few suggestions.

let's vote and then start the game.

Civ: Persia, Zulu, China? or others
Map type: seems everyone agrees to go for pangaea
size: standard?

Maybe members can chime in so we can decide what to go for next.

As much as I would LOVE to have more training in AW from you guys, I'm still running Gma02, which is a fairly intense NOW game. It seems I'm always up in both games at the same time and the 24/48 timing puts me in a real bind. I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass up the opportunity this time. :(

You can bet that I'll be lurking and following this next one closely and that I'll be allowed to ask questions. :)

I'm in. I kinda like China for a Pangaea, and a Standard sized world sounds fine. I assume in AW games you want good traits and good UU's, and China fits both of those categories.

we can play China...so far we have 3 trainees and 2 trainers, I think we wouldn't mind another trainee...

I will start this tomorrow as Rat25

I really shouldn't get involved in another SG, although I almost could be talked into it... ;) No, I'm going to have to skip out on Round 2. Too many other time commitments.

Thanks again for letting me play in the first round!

Othniel said:
No, I'm going to have to skip out on Round 2
:( ok, this means we need 1-2 new players to join the next game.

Anyone interested?

I'll join. I need to hone my AW skills, and I may only have one turnset left in my current SG.

AWE standard pan sounds great, those can really be exciting if there's a bad start with enemies on most sides. I would have suggested Portugal or America so we don't get dependant on one civs traits or UU, or even Babylon or the Mayans so we aren't dependant on iron. But it seems too late, so I"ll just go with it.

I'll also volunteer to play the first set if nobody minds, since it is the weekend and I have lots of time to play, and weekdays for me are usually hectic.

Btw, just an AW question on the opening: I noticed in the GOMOAW AWD games the first builds in the capital varied. Sometimes it'd be a barracks, and sometimes a couple of reg warriors. Is there any real reason, or do you just chose randomly or go with your gut?

Own said:
I need to hone my AW skills, and I may only have one turnset left in my current SG.

But you won an AWDG on standard pangaea already :D

(Threadjack: ) And the defiant game will see a few more rotations IMO. After that one finishes I'd maybe like to continue the Mump series with an AWD standard pangaea.

But you won an AWDG on standard pangaea already :D

(Threadjack: ) And the defiant game will see a few more rotations IMO. After that one finishes I'd maybe like to continue the Mump series with an AWD standard pangaea.
Thank you, but I was the clear weaklink on that team; I've still got plenty to learn, and who better to learn from than rat and Greebley.

(Threadjack response: ) AWD standard pan, wow that's sick. I'd probably join if you can't fill a roster with better players. Remember, on a three cow 5 ivory start a team of handy, bugs, greebley, rat, M60, obormot and northern pike (IIRC) barely pulled off a victory. OTOH, that start had a fairly wide front sorta like the dark green celts attempt we made at AWDG standard pan.

Anyone interested?

You might want to post this as a brand new thread to catch the notice of anyone who hasn't been following this game. I sure wish I had the time for it.

why not try The Hittites almost nobody plays them maybe it would be a good Idea :)
I have actually played an AWE game with the Hittites. I don't really suggest it for a second AWE attempt however. They are less than stellar and a less good start could make the game difficult indeed. Ideally, you want to use your UU early on to do major damage to a single opponent, but this can fail if too many early contacts which is fairly common.

That game really wasn't pretty. We had some consistently good campaigns and good bottleneck fronts, but it still took a lot to get through that one. Not on my to-do-again list.

Anyone interested?

I can barely sort out my schedule with 1 SG and 2 slow PBEM's these days, so I would love to but can't.

own, I am up in Greebley's huge game. So, you can start with China on a pangaea and start a new thread. make sure to call the game Rat25 - AWE Training #2 or something like this...might get the interest of more people as well.

If you don't start by today, I can also start tonight maybe.

Top Bottom