RB1 - Cuban Isolationists

WE HAVE A WINNER! :whipped: :dance: :bounce: :king: :cool:

Yes! I am very good at looking out after the little green marbles.

(Each one is like a world unto itself! Tiny planets, teeming with life.)
(Ever seen Men in Black?)

I only beat out Red ("Jack" the AI) because I went earlier in the rotation, that game.
But hey! Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good! :lol:

(What? Has Sirian lost his marbles? CLEARLY NOT! All ten of them are in order! :lol: )

- Sirian

hum, guys, the formula to calculate the odd was discovered by people in these forums in hours, without access to the code.
i'm sure that the programmers know enough math to know how to translate their logic to a formula fast enough (otherwise, they have no business programming, frankly).
so it's just a matter of replacing the displayed formula to the full formula. seriously, saying it might have been hard for them is silly. the most likely reason (as seen in other features, IMO) is that the game was a bit rushed and they didn't have the time to put the final values in and shipped as is.

about players being more automated... they're still odds. you might still lose 50 favorable combats in a row, regardless of the odds. and the odds of battle depend on a lot more things than individual battles, so even against the odds you might have to attack. and so on... as long as there are odds, the outcome is unpredictable.
it might be so that players make mistakes more often, which is valid. however, it needs to be made obvious that they aren't odds (yeah, players assume too much, no matter if it says something a little different).

edit: i haven't seen enough combat to be bothered by it. i would be bothered if someone proved to me that there's a reason to have more than a few skirmishes in a game, since an army wastes too much resources.

perky_goth didn't get the memo? Man, I need to fire and replace that messenger! :)

No worries. Just resetting the clock over here from 46 hours back to 48. :lol:

What game are we playing here, again? The first SG from Civ6? :crazyeye:

WHAT? Civ7 ISN'T OUT YET? What's the hold up! :lol:

Meanwhile... Some more shots from the action I played on Monday.

Hey, what does this little red button do? :mischief:

Oh! Cool. :lol:

(Wow, an actual Cuban Isolationists post! :eek: What is this thread coming to!)

- Sirian

Sirian said:
Haha! You guys are making me start to wonder...

What would be the most effective way to pull the thread back on topic? :satan:

A. Threaten not to post the rest of my turn results until 48 hours AFTER the last word is had on the Combat Calculator

B. I don't need Plan B! PLAN A !@#$%# ROCKS, MAN! :rockon:

:lol:

Serioiusly. Enough on that, please. Thanks. :)

- Sirian

You forgot "C"

C. Post the turn so we can discuss it instead of everything else

:D

:rockon:

(I tried Sirian ... hopefully people will get the message :cry: )

well, i try to have a life, so i couldn't reply earlier :p (not, i'm not sucefull either. maybe i should just play more civ then?) i missed that post too. so... sorry. it were just conclusions, though.

but i still had to inform people that changing the numbers on the screen (caused by simple formulae) is both easy and quick, so something must've slipped. (wrong formula or UI error)

i made a question, though, is major combat actually worth it in civ4? besides having insane amounts money to do it, of course. not that it makes it a bad game, just different from what i expected.

oh, and speaking of odds, what are the odds of you winning by conquest? no robot calculator on this one...

(it actually took a long while to write this, so, really, i tried )

In my experience:

On the lower levels, Prince and down, combat is rarely needed at all unless you get majorly choked off in the early expansion days.

On monarch plus, it is sometimes needed to slow down the runnaway AI (usually one of those annoying financial civs). It doesn't need to go to the conquest level necessarily, but it sometimes is the best/only option the higher up the difficulty ladder you go.

-Maniac

And I speak for lurkers everywhere when I say,

"Jesus Hache Cristo on a popsicle stick"

On a cigar tube, surely? I'm not sure they have popsicles in Cuba.

Wow... 6 hours(of reading,) 37 pages, and still not over yet... yeesh. Interesting game, though... common, ONE MORE TURN!

HOLIDAY WISHES FROM A COUPLE OF TURKEYS! :lol: :cooool:

(That's me on the right! :wavey: Gobble-gobble!)

Wishing you a...

- Sirian

Ah, forgot today was Thanksgiving down there... I was just reading the thread because I'm home sick today.

Uniqueuponhim said:
Ah, forgot today was Thanksgiving down there... I was just reading the thread because I'm home sick today.

Yeah, it's Thanksgiving down here. Don't feel bad, though, some of us in the military are still working today :0( (Well, actually, hiding in our offices hitting 'Refresh' on the RB1 Succession game thread! C'mon, S&S, Support Your Troops!)

Marc

:hatsoff: TROOPS! :salute:

Oh, wait. Did you say SUPPORT? I thought you said salute. ;)

Here's hoping two wrongs do make a right: :salute:

Oh well, I tried. :lol:

You know we love you, right? ... Right. :)

- Sirian

Wow... I just started a game as Spain, and it's uncanny how similar it has been to yours so far. At first I figured I'd just want to go for the first three religions, and it seems to only viable way to do that is as Spain. It may be possible with other civs, but not very likely on Prince.

Just like you, I started on a lake, though I wasn't lucky enough to start out by the ocean too. I got the first three religions with little problem, although I wasn't lucky enough to pop masonry from a hut like you, so it took a little while longer. While all of this research was going on, I sent my lone warrior out scouting to discover Elizabeth and Peter on my island. It would have been difficult to hem them both in, so I figured to go for Lizzie, the easier target, first since it would only take two to block her off. I spent most of my time building stonehenge, although I figured I had a good enough lead on it, so I started a settler halfway through, and sent it out with my lone warrior (with forest 2 and combat 1 from popping two experience huts!)

After finishing stonehenge, I built a worker, and then an archer, and finally another settler to block off the English (though she did manage to place her city almost exactly where I was going to, so it made my job a bit more difficult.) Then I built another archer to stay in Madrid and started on the Oracle to get myself a nice tech lead. During all of this construction, I had researched Hunting, Animal Husbandry and finally Priesthood, and built another settler archer from my second city to take a marble spot which was connected about halfway through the construction of the oracle to make my job a bit easier.

Once the Oracle was built, I was only a few turns away from my great prophet, and Theocracy and Code of Laws were about the two most expensive techs available to me, so I figured I might as well take them and get Christianity and Confucianism too. I then beelined for Alphabet to be able to trade techs with Petey and Lizzie.

A bit later on, I remembered how you guys got Islam from your second Prophet and figured what the hell, I might as well go for it and started researching Divine Rght about 3 turns before my second prophet came. The turn after I started researching Divine Right, lo and behold, Taoism is founded in Hastings right after Elizabeth gets a couple of Great People... I couldn't believe it. I thought I might have a chance at getting it after Islam, but I guess not. At some point in there, I had also built the great library and the Sistine Chapel... And right now I'm working on the Chichen Itza! If only I could get that one stone on the island hooked up, the Sprial Minaret would be mine.

Here are some screenshots:

I have a feeling that the Stonehenge/Oracle combo is a bit overpowering early game... I don't know if it's possible to get both on harder levels than Prince, but the combo gives easy access to at least three pretty advanced techs for that era, with the potential for three religions to boot. While it's entirely possible for one to miss all three of the early religions in a Monarch or higher game, if they concentrate purely on getting these two wonders, they could get quite a good tech lead on the AI along with three holy cities.

Ya, this might become more or less a stock opening for "Spain on a Lake". Still, it won't work like that for most civs, so I wouldn't worry about the balance.

BTW, that's no island. :lol: That's definitely a bona fide continent! :)

- Sirian

In my experience, if Spain is in the game Spain gets budhism about 90% of the time.

Just as an idle aside, does anyone else have a copy of Civ IV that seems to have an Isabella fetish? I've started a fair number of random leader games now, and it seems to pick Izzy far more than any other leader (about 3-4 out of ten times I'll end up being Izzy as opposed to 1-2 - usually one - for everyone else...)

Sirian said:
Ya, this might become more or less a stock opening for "Spain on a Lake". Still, it won't work like that for most civs, so I wouldn't worry about the balance.

BTW, that's no island. :lol: That's definitely a bona fide continent! :)

- Sirian
I don't know about that... You definitely need Spain to get the first three, but Confucianism, Christianity and Muslimism seem to be entirely possible with any civ, as long as you concentrate on Stonehenge(for the GP points) and The Oracle. If you play your cards right and have contact with more than one civ, you can usually use this to keep a good tech lead too, since those are all fairly expensive techs.

Top Bottom