RB1 - Cuban Isolationists

Sullla is definitely on CivFanatics, I sent him a PM about Realms Beyond and he responded right away.

Anyway I am looking forward to Civilization 5. One thing I was worried about is that Sullla said he would not give Firaxis the benefit of the doubt since there were many mediocre titles released since Civ 4 but I hope the game will be good enough to prove otherwise. :)

To be honest, Sullla and Sirian should have been offered playtest roles as soon as the testing phase started. The amount of advertisement they did for civ4 on release and their sharp gaming instincts were truly a gift to the game. Combine that with their absolute discretion as to not leaking information and it really saddens me they weren;t involved in civ5.

We'll see how the game plays, really hope they had much external play testing as possible, so we do not end up fielding that job.

Cheers!
-Liquidated

for the people who might not want to see this thread bumped back up again, too bad. :p
This was the game that got me hooked on civ. Before buying it, I followed this game obsessively. It was one of the best i've ever seen. I've also read all of Sulla's reports. THANK THE HYDRA FOR THIS GAME, or else I might not've bought my favorite game ever played, civilization 4

Well Sullla and Sirian both play tested civ4 thoroughly for over a year before this SG came into being. Much water has passed under the bridge since then such that when Civ 5 was announced, Sullla came into the game as a player not associated with Firaxis and lacking a year+ of play testing.

This succession game was purposely set to be an entertaining romp on relaxed settings to help introduce Civ4 to the public. Entertainment and Education was what this game was all about, this amazing thread being the example I personally took to heart in my abuses of this fine sub forum.

Sullla's Civ5 SG was more about seeing what damage weeks-old strategies would do against the game's highest difficulty level, with a handicapped Leader. About the only thing the Civ5 SG you linked does for Liq is make him want to return to Civ4; little wonder an Nov 2010 account (no disrespect intended) was the one to bump this from slumber.

Both are hallmark Succession games, but for such vastly different reasons :(.

Cheers!
-Liquidated

About the only thing the Civ5 SG you linked does for Liq is make him want to return to Civ4
I've NOT bought 5, and at this point I won't. One of the best things with jumping from 3 to 4 was getting rid of building costs. Now it is back and freaking roads cost money. It made me sick read the let's delete this road comment to save money. Total idiocy...

Hi! I just dropped by (this current) last page from 35 to complain that combat-odds statbots had taken over the postings. I am awaiting (and eight years later, no less!) the result and gripping conclusion of an inherently interesting and extremely well played game.
Page 36 awaits - youse guys are my heroes here in 2013 (awwwwwnain't that sweet?). Civ5/willem/PB2/pb9/rb1 (sequence) - AwEsOmE!!!!!!11!One11!wun!!111 (TM)
By the optimal way, the optimal way to describe optimal play optimally in Civ 4 seems optimally to describe said optimal play as optimal.
LET ME INTO THE MULTIPLAYER CIV4 LEAGUE (which I haven't actually found or attempted to join yet). I want to be on Sullla's side in an 11 v 1 dogpile on Jowy. (Hope you've sorted your differences)
:grin:

Fantastic thread! I wish I had read it nine years ago, when I first joined CivFanatics. I could have learned a lot from it then. I have never tried to found all the early religions as in RB1; I believe that founding Judaism is the best one could reasonably expect at Deity level, though, even starting with Mysticism.

Reading this thread this late in my Civ IV "career", I still learned a few things and had a many tactics refreshed as well. This thread is loaded with Civ IV game playing tactics and strategy ideas! It may be dated now, but it is still worth reading for all the tactical and strategy ideas it contains.

Thank you Sirian and Sullla!

Top Bottom