RBC13D - Middle Ages - Kievan Rus (Demigod)

He declares war! These Europeans 'of the Book' are so predictable!

Let's pause to consider the tech situation. We're now in the age of Crusades,
in deep need of Lost Roman Secrets and Heavy Cav, plus the Smithing we're working
towards, are four techs from next age, and can/should ignore west and arab trees.
England, France and Abaddids offered us maps and so know Map Making. More important,
they can sell communications to other civs. We buy from cheapest seller, England,
as we meet five civs for WM+6gpt. England along with France and Abassids also know
CoL and Early Siegecraft, as do Danes. I can tell who has Map Making by whether maps
can be traded. Abbasids lack iron, btw. Even in tech, and broke, are: Norway,
Poland (lacks iron), Magyars, Bolgars, Castille, Fatimids, Celts (two workers).
Byz lack Siegcraft but know CoL and Lost secrets. They're still insulted and want
fully 300g for peace. (*NOT* a good rebuff btw, giving up our best and a necessary
trading partner to save 26g 8-\ ) Cordova and Sweden have only CoL.
Horses are on the road connecting our core and south, but in neutral land. We need
a city or colony to hookup horses. The Bulgars are standing on a spot next to the
horses where they just may settle next turn. If so, we WILL for sure want to
capture this city.

Most important, the Turks are BEGGING to stop the war, and will gladly give up both
Early Siege and CoL for it, along with one minor city and some gold. They have 8 cities
plus their capital, not insulted at thought of any. (King and troops would jump)

There is a brokering opportunity to buy Siegecraft and trade it for CoL. I recheck
to see if anyone lacking siegecraft has maps... yes! Sweden has maps. So we could broker
to get that tech as well. (Byz have maps) I can't tell how much Secrets is, but since
it's monopoly, pricey. Over 28gpt anyway. Of course, we can accept the two techs from
Turks instead of buying siegecraft. If we don't take any techs we get three cities,
Kafa, Izmit and Antalya. Any other way to get Siegecraft? Well, France has 3 settler
pairs in our territory!? :p We could broker assuming we'll need to pay, then kick
them out just to see if she bites. It's not cheap, around 31gpt, but won't totally
bankrupt us either.

The opportunity to get all those techs is very slim, as any one country close to
one could ruin it for us. Let us deal... we indeed buy Siegecraft+TM from France for
39gpt. Then, in ever so brusque a voice, we tell her to get her no-good sleazy tramp
hide out of our lands. She gasps, faints, curses in French... then declares war.
All that and war happiness to boot! :p To Cordova, Siegecraft for CoL+30g, then
to Swedes we give Siegecraft+WM+11g for MapMaking+TM. To get out of our 300g trading
hole with Theodora we get peace+TM+6g for Siegecraft. We get Norway's WM for CoL.
WM goes all around, picking up new regions here and there, and a worker from Magyars,
two workers from Celts (we're past 50 turns), and drain every single gold coin out of
the lesser nations. After picking up the rare Fatimid map, we sell again, getting even
more gold from the richer nations. Lost Secrets is an insult at over 500g+43gpt.
We'll need to self-research or steal that one as it will stay a monopoly.
In the end of this trade lovefest we have 528g+28gpt and we've not had to take any
techs from Turks to do it, plus virtually the whole world map is exposed for us.
Best for us is probably Konya+Kafa+WM+92g. No one has any more visible techs.
Our VP are top in the world, 3730 (although I don't want it so high! 2200 is from
city conquests). England is 2nd, Abbasids 3rd.

We get an embassy with Constantinople to see how it's doing, but to prepare for a
future steal. They're working on cataphract (eep), tis a well built city, 15spt,
8 spears, queen. Horses, iron and quarry, 4 lux. Not ready for steal attempt, 510g.

Hey! We can move over rivers on roads now, yay! I'm a tad unsure on Aydin situation.
I can make two elite attacks this round, but if I do or not one zerk is in trouble
on the counter. Or I can stack them and hope to bombard, but might lose two that way.
The bombard value is good, so I'll try that rather than give up on the hurt zerk.
(I've been trying hard to not let them get attacked much, but to be on offense)

Five towns start a much needed town hall. IBT - Bulgars move on past horse
BTW, several single vikings on the move through our lands for quite a few turns.
They seem exploring, as they pass up a chance to strike towns defended by a warrior.
I do not, and *would not* give them the boot, as we can't defend against Zerks.
Ok, this is ODD behavior from Turks. Their *spear* goes on the attack, losing to
our warrior, and their archers *do not attack* our Zerk stack. The top one was elite,
did they think the odds too poor? Underneath was the 1hp elite. French settlers all
turn tail and go home. Too bad, we need more workers :p

[8] 1005 - IBT - No attacks. keep an eye out for German and French and Burgundy troops.

[9] 1008 - Perfect! We saved that zerk by covering and congealing into a stack, and
now we can them all with a spear, and vs a three-archer stack can try to pop a few
and fish - all in a way we do NOT move up and further expose ourselves. It took almost
the whole round to see this happen, but it's nice now that it does. No leader, but
two safe kills.

We go around selling the world map for cash. (If you have patience, this is like
a bonus +15gpt income for the diligent! We got 50g + a worker from Poland this round!)
I pause a moment after getting enough gold off Theodora that now I could try a steal
attempt. The irony is so overwhelming I try it (before she actual has a Cataphract
army) and... we now know Lost Roman Secrets :D

I realize Uskudar is now our (only) port city, and rush a spear. There alone can we
build longboats with which to punish Balkan offenders. Army advances on Izmit,
killing two archers w/o a scratch.

Sensing teammate thoughts that we should start to have *SOME* homeland security,
and feeling now we have what we need to finish the job down south, I spread out
3 zerks up in the core to provide that sense of well being and harmony.
Kiev, Smolensk, Pslov. There's one more just south of Suzdal' which could be recalled
but which I hope can join up with the army and fill it. IBT - Nothing.

[10] 1011 - with the decent number of slaves we're getting, we can spare one Turkish
slave for a horse colony, so we don't feel compelled to waste a settler.
Pskov will grow next turn and hit 15spt, so he may want to make a few horses at one
per two turns. At a bare min build three to fill a future cataphract army. You might
also want to mine Pskov's last BG tile. When the high total shield high corruption towns
like Vitebsk finish their town hall, and later a smith, we'll actually have a strong
production base!

At Izmit we attack and take the... no we don't! We advance towards our REAL goal
of Khazar, crushing two archers underfoot in the process. A third one is fished by
an elite Zerk, who wins.

Sell around maps, a penny here, a penny there, 6g+3gpt from Norway.
IBT - Sweden must be at war with someone, there is a SW trickle of troops.
The Turks have no counter attack, move some archers, and get hit by army ZoC.

[11] 1014 - We move up to Khazar. I'm so close, and having some come so far out of
a despearte and bleak situation, I beg forgiveness for going on two extra turns.
(I can give them back next turn :p )

Pskov got one more red shield, so it does need a mined BG to hit 15spt (or town hall)

It's fishing time outside Khazar as they have (like an AI) moved out TO US.
Three elites vs archers. All win, no ldr. 8-\ One heads to Izmit in hopes of
capturing the town, presumed to be covered by two spears, while main stack
steps next to Khazar. IBT - In good news, Byzantines declared war on Burgundy.

[12] 1017 - Our workers complete a road just as a turk spear steps next to us, with
a Rus zerk behind them :p Thwap! At Izmit a spear killed, but he got in some lucky
hits. Probably just one left, should be killable next turn, else step back and heal.
Of course, if the AI rushes an archer, it will look silly to have gone after Izmit.

At Khazar, two elite kill spears, notthing special. We also had an elite healing in
our territory at Aydin and an archer stepped up IBT. He shoots... he scores!!
Igor, a new MGL, appears! [dance]

Army beats a spear at Khazar. No more! (See!! There's no boogie man in king cities,
one extra spear is all they could muster) It's an archer on top. Heck, their spears
attack def 1 units, why not ours? We get hurt, but win and promote to vet. Bah,
a horse is now on top. Our army turns him into glue. Indeed, no more attackers, and
there is a worker on top -- tis the King!

Alas, I can abuse the turn length only so much. With the king naked and exposed at
Khazar I must pass it off. Twas enough to see that we could, and that there is enough
on hand to continue to Ghuzz and put these guys out of their misery once and for all.

Notes to next ldr...
- The victory screen comments on regicide are useless. I think it gives max kings left,
not kings remaining. We DID kill the king at Patnizak, so it's just Khazar and Ghuzz.
- So far the army has done fine with two units in it, and extra not inside for extra
attacks. Fill it or continue like this as you see best (just don't lose the army :p )
- Crush Khazar and kill the king next turn. *If* you keep the city, don't garrison it
other than maybe the spear on hand. Send all the rest, after a heal turn if needed,
W/NW to Ghuzz and eliminate the Turks - there can truly be no other outcome to this
campaign now. :hammer:
- You can keep any newly built units at home in core and prepare either for defense if
foes ever show up, or finally amass a division capable of crushing the Magyars and
reclaiming all our first and second ring land. Do *NOT* start that however until
the Turks are gone (which will be before the end of the next players turn), as the
Magyars have a lot of unit, a lot of land, and unlike the HRE nations are right there
next to us.
- The MGL is awake in town. Up to you whether you turn it into an army now and put
2-3 zerks in it, or whether you stay in MGL form and run much faster back to Kiev,
where it can wait either for homefront trouble or (even better?) a Cataphract army :hammer:
- If you can, sell maps each turn, watch the tech scene, and continue min research on
Smithing. At 22 turns away, don't throw away the 20 invested, but use any such money
to save up and steal Heavy Cavalry. Be secure on the home front first, and be ready if
it fails for an attack, and they will have Cataphracts on hand now. Heh, but by that
time we'll have longships! In about 15-20 turns will be a great time for this, when the
Byz troops have all gone far afield to Burgundy.

Our look at the terrain...

RBC13D Rus 1117AD

Charis
Jabah <-- UP
Grimjack <-- on deck
Akots

Good luck! We still have a massive uphill fight ahead of us, but we're now beginning to
look like a real empire, about to eliminate our first of 17 opponents, and with the hope
of an actual production base beginning to appear on the horizon.
Charis

Hey guys, a quick tip from a Turk (whom you seem to love beating up!):

Right-click the settler pairs that are heading east . . . you might find a nice surprise like we did in our Turk game:

Also, from an outsider's perspective I think you guys won't be able to achieve a conquest victory before triggering a VP victory - the VPs from capturing cities is just too much. Maybe a domination goal would be a better variant choice for you? Although since you only have to kill kings, you MIGHT be able to squeeze in conquest before a VP victory . . .

Regardless, best of luck! And cut the Sultan some slack will ya?! ;)

WOW. Amazing turns Charis. :eek:
Once again you prove the proverb that the best defense is attacking.

I :worship: your amazing comeback.

Grimjack

Ps, Longships have transport capacity of four. Having two longships with armies or zerks will capture any coastal city we want. And they have move 9 when we have built the small wonder.

Good point Grimjack. As I lay in bed last night, I realized that if a tech steal failed, or at any point we need to hit Constantinople, we can declare war (or have it declared on us) then 7-8 turns later take the 2-3 loaded longboats (2 close, 3 for sure) and capture Constantinople, then take peace right then and not have to worry about a counterattack that would be brutal. If so, take one EMPTY longboat with us to cover the others against Dromon attack. Alas, we won't have cash to rush longboats in that quick a time frame. Nor will we have ~8 free Berzerks. But maybe before too long.

Good tip from Caesar too. And yes, now having enough of a city base to support our troops, we probably need to stop hitting any extraneous cities except ones in our core ring that we intend to keep and make productive. Even as it stands, I'm not sure we can conquer without going over the VP limit. That also means that prolonged wars with much carnage will hurt us in our goal. I think that with one zerk army, one cataphract army and about 8 elite zerks we just go on a "tour of the world capitals" and get down to business, after we: clean up our core, finish townhalls and perhaps a smith or 3, and get Heavy cav. Doing the first two will take the time needed to get the third. (If we want the 2nd army to be zerk, that's fine too as they would work great as a pair. That's a good team discussion item)

Charis

A small point about the longship plan, Constantinople is coastal but NO on the Black Sea... so we can't reach it without landing first... I know AIs don't like attacking armies but with 2defense army, they might take the chance with several Hcavalries.

I think I like the 2nd zerk army better than waiting with an empty one. I prefer take some risk of not having a third one while having 2 busy than having 2 empty armies.

BTW 'Got it' and will probably play tonight (in a couple of hours) or tomorow at the latest.

Jabah

PS will go straight at the (turkish) king's necks this time, no wandering around for VP, elite (well, maybe a little) or else :)

Constantinople can be reached by boat from the Black Sea by first capturing Nicaea, then sailing through that city into the lake. Can all be done on the same turn if you have a few extra berserks to hit the first city first. I wouldn't expect it to have more than 3 defenders.

You can actually capture Nicaea, move a boat into the city, unload Heavy Cavs there, and have them attack Constantinople all on the same turn as well. Easier to just use Berserks though.

Pre-turn 1117AD
So we now are at war with turks, Franks, Germany & Burgundy.

Kiev is size12 at 14spt for berseker in5t. but why are we irrigating around while we can mine to get it to 20spt without starving (or at least 18st to have berseker every 4t).

Don't like all these magyars around.

Form a new army

IBT lost a (2/5) berserk against an archer next to izmit (no scratch through river...)

1020AD (1)
At Khazar, army kills a spear, KING and raze the city (no need to keep that far away) and get 4 slaves
Kill a few archers (no lose, no promo)
Decrease the lux to 10%

Smithing is for sale (Monopoly) at 14gpt+85 from Sweden, just wait a few turn for Denmark (Norway is useless)

1023AD (2)
Danmark has Smith, buy it for 105g+2gpt (in fact Norway has it as well)
change the main cities to smith and will have to slightly rush after 2t as 14x7=98 not 100

Looking at Military advisor there is/has been some war
-Germany/Bulgar
-Byzance/Burgundy
-England/Celt
-Cordovan/Burgundy
-Burgundy/Cordova+Byzance
-Bulgar/Germany

For reseach to HCav, we have 4 choices:
1- 40t at min
2- buy from Byzance at monopoly (still injured at 30gpt)
3- steal from Byzance (not soon)
4- give Roman Secrets to Bulgary and hope they research it (only other Byz civ)

Since there is nothing else to research, I do 1 and 4 also

IBT Castille allies with Franks against us...

1026AD (3)

IBT Lothair (Burg) and Otto (Ger) wants a tech for peace, who does he thing he is...

1029AD (4) more archer killing, nothing new

1032AD (5) kill afrankish settler pair in the north,

1035AD (6) That was due to happen at some point, 4 frankish horses arrived next to Psiotsk defended by a reg warrior ... they want 150g+8gpy for peace...(probably due to Castille alliance)
Buy an embassy in Suede (nice city, size6, 27spt, every building, building Longship in 2t from scrath) - nothing can decide them to help us...
kill a frankish settler pair (losing 3/4 of a zerk) and a defendin spear in their siberian city, still no decent peace price...

Move 2 new units in the city (1king and 1 reg spear), send reinforcement for the next trun
and decide to dogpile France,
Burgondy, peace for world Map, buy embassy in Aix (size 6, 12 spears/1sword defending, 12spt, all ressources, building sword). Give them Early Siege for Alliance against Frank -> 1 wall.

Consider buying Germany but they want a tech for peace.

End of positive WarWness, lux back to 20%...

IBT
lose a zerk in forrest to an turk archer (and 4 slaves that were not protected)
assault on Polotsk:
1st horse retreat from spear (hurt)
2nd horse kill spear (hurt as well)
3rd horse killed by warrior (promo)
4th horse retreat from warrior (yess...)

1038AD (7) 1st attack on Ghuzz 2 berserk army -> 2spear killed (1cat inside)
trying to chase the 3 wounded frankish horses with mine

IBT Some frankish sword are coming... (2sword/3war, all reg)

1041AD (8) Kiev finish Smith, reach 25spt, zerk in 3t (could reach 30spt soon)
the magyars workers inside our border are preventing a zerk to take care of a german sword

At Ghuzz the armies dispatched 4 vet spears but went both from 9/10 to 4 (out of 14), no more vet spear defending, need to fortify to heal.

1044AD (9) Pskov finished smith and reach 24spt, another zerk in 3t

The frankish troops approching are not 3sword/3archer/4warrior and are aiming at smolensk
Some German horse are seen near Kiev with workers all around, I will/might take peace.

buy aembassy in Poland, (Poznan, size7 13spt, no iron, 12spear/10archer...)
alliance against Franks for Early Siege+1gpt
2nd wall
alliance against Germany for CoLaw and will retrait the workers

IBT as the foreign advisor says 'the rampaging English forces have destroyed the Celts', we lose our mission to be the first predator :)
Poland lose Warsaw to the frank (with the first warrior attack!!!)

1047AD (10) attack on Ghuzz, 1st armies kills vet spear but goes down to 2hp (from 7), second kills 2 spear (down to 5), horse showing.

Around smolensk, kill the 3 swords (redline a zerk)

For the next leader...

A few units (horse/zerk) still have movement, but you have to decide were they are more needed (to play defence mainly)

- Smolenks must be reinforced, (horse+king probably), but franks have just 3 archers and 1 warrior so no panic (hope so).
- german horse will get another worker, but should be able to be killed soon after.
- turks are still there. Beware there is a cat in the city so no attacking with weak army against a spear. Both army should probably go outside of turkish border to heal and deal with them soon after (the 2hp army can still attack the horse once this turn, but should probably not, or maybe take the risk 6vs1)
- both army are composed of 2 elite and 1 vet zerks (and were needed for the task).
- we have several alliance (burgondy & Poland) to protect us and have the AI get a little bit more casualties, but the BIG problem will be the 2 south arabic civilisations.

Jabah

The map..

BTW I don't like all this magyars next to Pskov, we have anough to repulse a sneak attack, but maybe not for too long...

Originally posted by Charis
... when the general does not make it abundantly clear what it is that needs to be done, the fault is his and he must learn to communicate more clearly. In the case where he has gone over every point and the field commanders understand their task then do not execute, he says the fault lies with the field leader. When pressed for 'what to do in that case', he had a one word answer. "Decapitation." Let's be glad we don't fight for Sun Tzu! ...

I'd like to make a poetic metaphor of Charis again. Please forgive the redundancy and some apparent (not real) disrespect.

It is amazing that with your experience and gaming skill you sometimes close your eyes at evident things chosing not to see them. For some commanders/players it is not important who executes the task and how it is done. They care only about execution of the task and like to be sure that it is executed properly in a most efficient way like they see it. So far, your and Jabah's turns show that everything was rather well-planned and coordinated. And there is no need to decapitate anybody but the Turkish (Magyar/Polish/all other) kings!

Re: Irrigation around Kiev. Not my fault, it was already irrigated. The workers were moving there to mine but were roading forests on their way for some income increase. And one tile should remain irrigated because of a hill tile being now worked by Gyor.

Magyars should go next. IMHO we need space around Kiev for low corruption cities. And it would be really nice to have FP built somewhere around Novgorod. It is one of the very last advances on the tech tree though.

Sorry akots, didn't mean disrepect - in fact I was trying to say that I didn't communicate somethings well. That "Decapitation." comment wasn't mine but literally what I read in that page of the Sun Tzu. I thought it rather a harsh sentiment myself :p
I'm missing what I'm missing/blind to, but I'm thinking it was based on a reading of me thinking the Sun Tzu text was accurate and praiseworthy, instead of just a quote of what it said (w/o agreeing with it) Well, actually I agreed with him right up to the decapitation part. :p

At the time of irrigation we were trying to both grow the city and (I think?) to get fresh water somewhere else. Reaching 14spt was a stretch and there was no thought/need to push past it. But yes, I did forget about that and didn't reconsider that 18 would be better (didn't have any spare workers at the time either)

I was wondering if France and/or Germany was going to send
some units over or not... apparently so!
Nice defense of Pslok! That could have been ugly. The dogpile probably was a great idea in that if any foes stop the small trickle of French units coming over there will be no harm in staying in it for 20 turns.

Glad to see the English helped our cause with the farthest away island nation :goodjob: As for the Turks, sheesh, they sure are holding out as long as they can. (btw, was second army helping the first or defending the homeland?)

As for Magyars, yes, they are very unliked, but they're so embedded in our core that we will only be able to extricate them when we can *focus* on the task, not Turkey or defense vs France. With Turks down and western foes repelled, we can position units right next to the fortified "sneak attack" Magyars, as well as right next to one or two of their poaching cities. Then we can give them the boot, let them declare, then slaughter them in a most ghastly fashion. Again, have enough beef on hand to execute them in round one, otherwise it's just stirring up a hornet's nest.

Charis

Got it

Grimjack

No problem with the irragation, I started some to have Kiev grow faster, there was just 1 (or 2) worker/slave still irrigating, but only since 1 or 2 turn.

I might also have forget in my mining process that we had quite a lot of positive WarWear. so we might keep a few irrigated grass in case we need specialist (I think I let 1 or 2 worker stack IRRIGATING the new extra squares), so I am guilty as well :)

Regarding the 18 vs 14 spt, the first thing needed was reaching size12, since Kiev had just reached that size the previous turn, there was no reason to start mining before.
Anyway Kiev is now aiming at 30spt (which might or not be usefull compare to 24 spt - do we want 1t sword/horse or 3t zerk?- ) and the second city Pskov can make 24spt with a specialist at size 11.

We probably need a few more roading inside as we have problem travelling beause of :
1. trepassing units.
2. lots of forrest.

Regarding the turks
Both zerk armies are next to their last king (they are 5/14 and 2/14). The 2hp army has a movement left and there is a horse defending now (probably king just under or archer). I think we should take the risk and attack the horse to see what is under.
If we lose too bad... (it is 6vs1 and modificator but 2hp with retreat vs 3or4)
If we win and the king appear, we might take the risk next turn with the 5/14 army against a new spear (with cat defending) and if left with enough hp try to get the king with either/both army.
If we win and another unit appear, we probably should retreat and heal back to 10+ for 2 turns outside border.

Since they have several archers trying to go after our small cities/worker, to faster they go the better...

Jabah

edit ---
I thing I also changed the longship at Uskadar to spear/archer because of incoming turkish archer. It is not rushed since we can wait 1 more turn or can go back to longship, but the city is not that secure now.

Turnlog will be arriving soon, but we might as well start to dicuss alternate scenarios, as it is certain we can not win by conquest.

We have almost 6000 VPs from the turks, so I suspect we get VPs for the units killed when we kill their last king.
And this was before they could build a lot of troops. Granted their last city was size 8, but other cities will be even larger.

I would say we go to a best effort, and still follow the plan by
1) Getting our core to ourselves by booting the closest Magyar cities.
2) Only going after king cities.

Expect turn to be ready in about 2 more hours. It is tedious to do all the mapsales every single turns, and our cities lend themselves to MM almost every turn for that extra buck or two.

Grimjack

What if we start dogpiling AI on each other looking for a possibility that they would eliminate a civ or two (or three) similar to what England did to Celts? Then, looks like Regent is the only difficulty level when Conquest victory is possible. May be Monarch but unlikely. Map is just too big and VP limit is too low. Even if we don't build wonders or discover techs.

I'll be playing tomorrow late at night probably, so please discuss everything to make the plans clear.

1047 I am concerned about Smolensk. It is threatened by 1 warrior, 3 archers and one spear, and we have two woundede zerks and a king.
I get a horse there, and kill the spear, but horse redlines, so it will be no protection for our redlined zerk.
Get a regular warrior there as well. I think he will protect the redlined zerk.
There is a german horseman out of reach, that will take a worker of ours, so after checking that we do nto have any deals, I sign peace with Germans for world map. I also get him to chip in his 25 gold for this.
I move out a zerk from Pskov that will threaten the archer stack from the woods outside Smolensk. ( A diversion. )
This makes me increase lux tax to 30%.
This leaves me with one spare zerk in Suzdal. I will position him for a Magyar strike in three turns. I am counting on taking out the turks next turn :)

IBT: I spot a Magyar worker that lies down and dies on our road net. Lets hope he doesn't spread the plague :)
Lose a swordsman in the woods to a regular warrior. To compensate, our 3hp zerk survives the attack of a veteran archer.

1050 Out of the Fog comes this stack.

And down south, this happens. :hammer:
Rush a (regular) spearman in Rostov. He will be able to reinforce Smolensk. Rush the Blacksmith in Smolensk. realize I should have built a zerk last turn instead. Hope it is enough though.
We now have 5700 VPs. I am fairly certain a conquest victory will be unobtainable. Perhaps with rushed assassins, but not by conventional means.

IBT: As if the Franks were not enough of a bother before, now we are likely to tangle with knights, as they complete HOly Roman Empire in Paris. Thats their GA, right ?
They then start Knights Templar, so it definitely means knights.

1053 I do the honorable thing at Smolensk. I fight to the bitter end. We have 17 more turns of war with French. OUr zerks are efficient as usual.

IBT: Smolensk manages to hold with only small losses, but we are down to seriously wounded defenders.
English starts Domesday book.

1056 in the very first fight of Smolensk, Svyatoslav, hero of Smolensk shows his awesome skill, as the blood flows briskly down the river.
Because I need the attacks, he makes a very small army, with just one unit of zerks, and we then proceed to bloodbath the french troops.
The Castillians are kind enough to give us two more slaves. Our horsemen later find yet another two castillian slaves. One might wonder if the Castillians even know there is a war on, with the number of gifts they shower us with.
I can get only 29 shields at Kiev, so I start removing wetlands, hoping for a bonus grass. I also want to get some spears to Pskov. Running 50% lux now for two more turns, so it can finish the zerk in two.

IBT: I got a small scare at Smolensk, when the french 1HP sword started attacking Smolensk, and our top defender was the two HP army. our Army stood fast though. An exposed zerk defended successfully against a wounded archer. WHats up with the ai using redlined units to attack with. Thats not terribly nice, using our own tactics :)
Smolensk celebration of managing to lift the siege are best descibed as a riot. Production ground to a standstill.

1059 Now we have a full army, with decent hitpoints, so it starts to mop up amongst the regular spears that the French left lying about.
I move four workers rudely interrupted just as they were about to finish a road. I can start to breath calmly again, and hopefully set up next player for a devastating strike against Magyars, who have about ten units inside our borders.
I am tempted to buy some fine german Riesling or Mosel, and for the low low price of 9 gpt we can have it. 10% lux tax is however only 7 gpt, so I will not buy any wines at this time. I am tempted to give them Map Making for it, but will wait.
Sweden has managed to acquire Nordic Sagas. This might be nice to have one day. I will see if I can get an opportunity to get it on the cheap later.
Castille is funny. Last turn, they were willing to pay us for peace. Now that we have killed two of their settlers, they are angry with us, and want us to pay them.

IBT: The swedish zerks that are visiting, paid a little state visit in one of our taverns. Damages are estimated at 23 gold, and a missing map. We will not rpess charges with hungover swedish zerks though.
We are more doubtful when the Byzantines comes to us with another like bill, but we will pay that as well. We will remember though.
Start a town hall in Pskov. ( Hoping to get to 30 spt )

1062 Castillians are kind enough to give us another four slaves. I feel I have to rush a swordsman in Uskudar, making us have to start over on the Longship. Uskudar would be threatened by a french sword that somehow comes up from the south.

IBT: I see french forces fleeing our borders, and I think it is time to see to driving them back a bit. Germans also start Domesday book.

1065 We have no less than 15 Magyar spears heading east to reinforce those cities. I have two more turns until the Turk armies are ready for action.

IBT: For some reason Kiev is now 30 spt. I do not know how I missed that earlier. I set it on Horseman. We could use a couple of those.
Pskov finished Townhouse, but only reaches 28 spt. I Mm for money instead at 24 spt and zerk production.

1068 Move around MPs, and advance upon France border city Warsaw with a coupel of zerks, and one of our armies. I intend to take it, as it would be productive second ring for us, and we are drowning in unit maintenance.

1071 Castille gives us yet another two slaves.
I give up the plans for Warsaw, since the Poles have a huge stack ready to take it back. I position troops for grabbing a couple of first ring cities from Magyars instead.

IBT: Franks start Bayeaux Tapestry.

1074 It is time. We tell the Magyars to vacate our premises, and they do. :huh: No matter, they will have problems when I tell them to vacate their cities, and war is declared.
We capture Biatorbagy with our Armies. Plan is to do capture the two Magyar cities in our first ring by the armies, before I send the armies to look for the Magyar king.
Our zerks kill three vet spears in Balatonboglar by our iron, but there is still a vet spear on top. I expect the city to be heavily fortified, since it is under cultural pressure.
Byzantines are now up Medieval Combat besides Heavy cavalry,
A possible twofer exists, by Denmark having Medieval Combat, and Sweden having Viking Sagas, but Viking sagas is not needed until we have a spare leader to rush the wonder.

IBT: France and Burgundy sign peace. Eeehh, oops. Franks bribe the Danes to go to war against us. That could be mildly dangerous.

1077 I will send one army to deal with the immediate threat of the danes, and take their two cities nearby, then I suggest you relieve the army with horsemen. Horsemen defending against zerks should be a quite comfortable as long as you can maintain 3-2 odds. ( I.E you kill them when they enter our lands, then retreat. )
Magyars just planted five spearmen on our iron, but I am inclined to ignore them, as neither our horses, nor our zerks need iron.
A danish settlerpair gives us two fine new slaves.

I have left two armies with movement left. You will decide on what front you want to focus on. I woudl recommend going after Gyor, a magyar city in our first ring, followed by the stubborn city next to our iron, before going after the Magyar kings.
You may want to deal with the Danes first though, but I do not think we need to. a couple of horsemen, and a sacrifical spear or two ought to be enough to take out the small danish presence. Just make sure you do not end movement within range of a danish zerk, as they would probably strike at even armies.

Here there be adversaries

Grimjack

Note: Use our armies to attack with. I know I sent one of our armies up north, but thats just in case Denmark sends both its Zerks there, in that case we would need the army for a short while until our horsemen arrives.
Keep units clear of Kiev, and it can go a horseman every turn. Should the evil AI mess up so you just produce 28 shields, switch to zerk. They are almost never wrong to have :hammer:

I have a small stack of zerks healing outside our iron. I had hoped they would have been enough to take the city, but it is full of spears.

Originally posted by Grimjack
There is a german horseman out of reach, that will take a worker of ours, so after checking that we do nto have any deals, I sign peace with Germans for world map. I also get him to chip in his 25 gold for this.

Too late but .. We gave Poland CoL for a MA against Germany (2/3t before), the horse was supposed to take the worker and then either go away of stop next to a road were a zerk could have finished it.

I guess we have a even worst reputation now ...:lol:

Jabah

And BTW while I am here.

I will be away skiing next week starting tomorrow, so auto-skip me until Sunday 4th.

Jabah

SAVE

IBT. With 15 more rivals to go at 6500/rival we need 90,000 VP limit. Some mm to get extra gold and shields. Armies move to attack Gyor and defend Kiev. Established Embassy in Regensburg for 52g. There is a king there plus 5 spear plus 2 swords plus a horse plus all improvements. Traded wines+WM from Germany for Map Making. Wanted to buy in alliance to make sure the wines are delivered but it is too expensive. Looks like Otto is at peace with everyone. Some mm again. Lost a worker to Magyar near Black Sea. They are trying to get to Kiev with horsemen. Spears pillaged iron and are spreading over around Suzdal’. Danish zerk moves to Rostov. Kiev horse->horse, Patzinak spear->town hall, Aydin archer->town hall, Suzdal’ granary->zerk, Murom smith->zerk.

[1] 1080AD. Armies kill 2 horses and 2 spears. Kill 2 more horses, lose a horse to Danish zerk, finished him with northern army. Killed a Magyar spear with sword. Rather defensive campain. Hope not for too long. Got some change for maps and rushed a longship in Uskudar for 180g. Killed 3 more Magyar spears.
IBT. Kill two Magyar horses and two archers and lose one zerk. Magyars move insane SOD of spears to Suzdal’ (12 units plus some singles scattered for total about 25). Castile moves settler escorted with spear and sword. Kiev horse->horse, Novgorod cat->cat, Uskudar ship->ship.

[2] 1083AD. Gyor falls finally, 3 resisters out of 4 citizens, building temple for now. Kiev hits 33 spt. Will build settler and join 2 native workers next turns. We have many slaves. Lost horse to Danish zerk in the north. Moving northern army south to slaughter some more Magyar spears. Byatorbagy switched to rax. Slaughtered many Magyar spears. Got 2 more Castilian slaves. No promotions, no leaders despite 7 elite wins. Lost a sword to spear at Uskudar. The longship is rather useless against Magyars. They have no major coastal cities. Switched Rostov to spear for MP in Vitebsk.
IBT. Lost 2 spears and sword to fierce Magyar counterstrike with about 12 swords all moving to Suzdal’. Franks allied Cordovans against us. Cordovans also declared war to Poland. As well as Castile. Danes move 2 zerks and 2 spears to Polotsk. Kiev settler->horse, Pskov zerk->zerk, Rostov spear->town hall.

[3] 1086AD. Northern army goes to Polotsk. Some more Magyars killed but no promotions. This is not good. We need a distraction. Established Embassy in Pliska. They have 6 spears plus horse plus sword plus king there. Bad thing is that alliance costs a fortune. We cannot afford it. Nobody wants to fight with Magyars. Made peace to Castile for 55g. There is still 15 Magyar units near Suzdal’.
IBT. Magyar swords attacked Suzdal’ and 3 impaled themselves on the axes of our glorious army. Danes move to suburbs of Polotsk. Abbasids and Theo make alliance against Burgundy. Danes join the dogpile. Kiev horse->horse, Vitebsk smith->temple, Smolensk town hall->cat.

[4] 1089AD. Battle for Suzdal’ yields Yaropolk. He can run to Uskudar to build Norse saga there. But city is poorly defended and is besieged by Magyar archer and spear. I guess we take the risk. More armies might really help.
IBT. Archer killed our spear in Uskudar. However, immense numbers of Magyar swords die to our glorious armies defending Suzdal’. Danes make alliance with Norway against us. We’ll survive this one. Danes redline our army in Polotsk and kill spear there with their zerks. Kiev horse->zerk (can now partially rush it through town hall.

[5] 1092AD. Magyar supply of units is coming to end. They are even ready to talk peace. Trade Viking Sagas from Sweden for 19gpt. Rushed Norse Saga in Ushkudar with Yaropolk. Burgundy is being slaughtered by Sweden.
IBT. Magyars move only 5 or 6 units to Suzdal’. Cordova joined Burgundian dogpile. Germany allied with Franks against us. Weird, we lost wines then. Kiev in disorder, scrolled forward and got a bunch of clowns. Pskov zerk->zerk, Uskudar Norse Saga->spear, Smolensk spear->spear, Murom zerk->zerk, Polotsk temple->warrior.

[6] 1095AD. Killed many Magyars (7 or 8 units). Lost 3hp zerk to archer. Luxuries go up to 40%. Stubborn Danes don’t want to talk. May be next turn.
IBT. Magyars fiercely attack but kill only warrior and horse. Danes land another spear/zerk pair near Polotsk. Here we go, France allied Bulgars against us. This is not good. France joined Burgundian dogpile. Novgorod cat->cat (for Polotsk), Vitebsk temple->warrior, Pskov spear->spear, Suzdal’ zerk->zerk, Rostov warrior->settler.

[7] 1098AD. Acquired two German slaves. 3hp northern army killed Danish spear but retreated from zerk. Siege of Balatonboglar yields another Yaroslav the Wise who built army in Suzdal’. There is nothing to load in it at present though. Vladimir in desperate attempt to save his life and Gyor from Magyar troops killed archers and promoted himself to veteran. We have only 17 cities, so must build 3 more ASAP for another army.
IBT. Surprisingly, very few units except Polish brigade moving through. Kiev zerk->zerk, Vitebsk warrior->warrior (MP is much needed), Smolensk spear->zerk, Murom spear->zerk.

[8] 1101AD. Balatonboglar finally falls and has 6 resisters out of 7 pop. Will build temple. Many zerks need to heal. Danes ready to talk but demand 146g+9gpt for peace. Traded alliance against Franks to Burgundy for Medieval Combat+WM+worker+48g+4gpt. Does not look like they would last for a long time. They are down to 4 cities and probably one king. There might be several tech brokering possibilities. Kiev switched to settler, will join Burgundian worker and some other next turn. Theo has Polearms. She wants 197g+2gpt for wines. Sweden wants 198g+7gpt for furs.
IBT. Lost a zerk to Magyars. Kiev settler->spear, Vitebsk warrior->warrior.

[9] 1104AD. One army heads for longboat. Some Magyar units killed.
IBT. Magyars move some swords and Bulgars move spears. Poland comes and cancels alliance against Franks. Kiev spear->settler, Novgorod warrior->cat, Vitebsk warrior->rax, Patzinak settler->town hall, Pskov zerk->zerk, Franks built knights templar in Angers.

[10] 1107AD. Some more Magyar swords slaughtered. Did not mm or trade maps this turn. Kiev will build settler. There is one Turkish worker inside to join the city and there is a need for another either Turkish or Burgundian or Russian. There is a fortified elite zerk in Suzdal’ which did not move. Polish brigade is apparently moving out to west. At least they started to move west a couple of turns ago. Army in between Suzdal’ and Bursa did not move as well as longship. This army has a nice choice. Either cover our zerk SE of Balatonboglar in fear it may die to a Magyar sword. Or it can load into the longship and start the fun in some Magyar, Bulgar or Byzantine coastal cities. Danes are extremely uncooperative. It might be a good idea to capture Aarhus with our northern army currently in between Rostov and Smolensk. Also a good idea may be to move our king Mstislav to Balatonboglar from Vladimir so that this newly acquired town does not flip. Luxuries are at 40% and it is possible to trade wines from Theo for about 19-22 gpt to lower down to 30% but it does not matter much. We now have 4 armies and many elite wins. Feels like another leader is on the way. Then, we can start the king hunt. Victory points are at 9705, not so much. Total of 8-10 armies can do the job IMHO. It might be a good idea to go for dense city build so that we don’t hit the domination limit with 40 cities needed for 10 armies. Have fun and good luck. It is not all lost, there is still a possibility to prevail.

Wow, looks like an even more intense turn than what I had.

I thought the Franks SoD was bad..

Well played.

grimjack

Very nice set of turns! Jabah saw some very long-distance enemies arrive (I wondered if they ever would), Grimjack had a defensive hornet's nest on his hands by declaring war on the Magyars, and akots turn just saw the beginning of a swing from defense to offense (?!) If so, expect some more offense next.

(I had expected to make peace if the far away guys ever showed up. Alliances are very troublesome. They lock us in for 20 or ruin our rep (cough), encourage others to dogpile us, and in general get the worldwide VP level going way up. We want these guys at constant *peace* sending out floods of new settlers to the empty regions where we vanquish a foe :p )

All that and a Saga to boot! :goodjob:

More leaders than cities to support armies?! That's carnage! :D

Charis <-- UP
Jabah <-- on deck
Grimjack
Akots

"Got it" - but I need to get RBC39 epic done first, as it's due Monday. (I'm encouraging others to do the same, in the RBC13 poll thread)

Charis

Top Bottom