RBC8 - Revenge of the North Koreans (C3C Deity SG)

Charis

Realms Beyond
RBC8 - Revenge of the North Koreans C3C Patch 1.12
Asian Warmongers' Rumble, Part II

It all began back in RBP2 - Asian Rumble: Warmongering Koreans (Deity SG)
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39219
The foes were Japan, China, Mongols, India, Russia. Russia just plain ran
away with it, with an obscenely quick space launch. Meldor's words,
"I demand a rematch!" are now coming true! :hammer:

The Koreans are back, and this time they're out for Russian blood. The dogs
of Cathy must be eliminated. This time we're *North* Korea, and we've spiced
up our H'watcha to have lethal bombardment (new in C3C). The Korean mindset in
this game is quite territorial, in a gang-like world where turf and rumbles are
the way of life. Wan Kon will give no more quarter, and is called Wang Kong!
Same conditions: Small, 60% water Pangaea, 5 billion, temperate, Sedentary barbarians

Variant rules:
* The first demand for tribute must be denied, so prepare for the worst in the
opening moves. (After this, pay/deny/request tribute as appropriate)
* Catapults *MUST* play a role in the ancient era war. Plan to make many of them,
have them on-hand for defense as well as offense, and have two dozen by Metallurgy.
* Given the oddness of the game and upcoming holidays, this will NOT be a strict
* We must see a Golden Age, either by H'watcha bombardment or Sci / Comm wonders.
* Player turns will not be 10 turns, but 20-30, or 'as needed' to "make a mark".
We may cut down to 10 each in the era of H'watcha to make sure all get to fire them.
* Russia must be eliminated.

Roster:
Along with Charis, RBP2 players have first option: Meldor, Jaxom, Marshall
Speaker and Skyfish are also on the list by recent request.

I'll start it up. Let's hope for a LOT less jungle than RBP2 8-\
Well, the start looks plain, but we take what we get. At least there are
several BG's, and a river.

Staring position:

I've played the first set of turns, and the name 'Asian Rumble' is no lie!
Here's a foretaste of what is coming up! :hammer:

Really early, a brown scout pops into view of a hungry and savage Korean warrior. Are the brass ones of the Kong hefty enough to do the deed??!! :eek:

I'll post the rest after the roster is finalized. (Waiting on the folks mentioned above, already with a waiting list, so no new sign-ups on this one plz)

Charis Kong

As an AW fan I will certainly enjoy watching your early game with the wars that will surely follow. Looks like you got lucky with meeting Russia out of the gate. Or will it be lucky? Can you take the Russian beastress out early to provide expansion room? Will be looking forward to your exploits in what looks to be an enjoyable game.
BTW, my dollar says no way to attacking him on the mountain. Invite him in for tea and remind him of RBP2 before hatcheting his throat.

Charis,

If someone currently on the potential roster, doesn't want their spot, I'd be interested...

JMB

I am in :)

ps : You've played too many opening moves recently, you were desperate for something new during those or something ;)
:lol:

Charis,

I'll echo JMB's request--if any of the folks mentioned above choose not to play, I'd love to jump in on this one. That is, if I can tear myself away from GalCiv. :lol:

I'm looking forward to some sweet revenge out of this group. DID Charis pull the trigger or not?!

I sent a PM to Meldor, he posted on some SGs but missed that one I think !

Thanks for the feedback and encouragement, lurker friends - no need to fear. Meldor was my 'must hear from' person due to the first game, and with the other (cough) 5+ SG's going on, there was just no rush. I'll probably post the first turn remainder and the roster probably tomorrow. (And np on the week before your turn, Meldor, glad to have you on board!!)

Charis

OK, I am ready to start getting back to the more important fun things...let me know the order and when I am up...

Makes for a difficult variant. Also, Charis has yet to answer on if he strikes this early or not.

The voice of the people rises to a tumult, and Wang Kong hears and responds! :hammer:
As seen from the picture above, so great is the hatred of Wang for the
Russians that we go to war over... a scout in our land! :eek:

Seoul was founded in 3950BC after moving to the coast, keeping on the river.
In 3650BC we run into the scout of... Russia!?! (No, I didn't force them next
to us, but it is most highly ironic, after the first Korean Asian Rumble)
We trade Alphabet for Pottery + 35g, then Wang Kong could not hold back his urge --

We declare war and slay the scout. The Dear Leader Wang Kong sets the tone for
this game right away!! :hammer:

Shortly thereafter, in 3450BC is the first and very critical battle occurs. A
Russian warrior appears near our worker. We cover him and hope being across river
will help. It does, and we win on defense. In 3250 Four more warrs and a spear appear!
We take to the mtns to cut them off, and have a spearman due soon.
Their first warr attacks us on the mountain and can't even scratch our warr. Score!
3100BC With the spear now available to cover, our warr hits theirs on low ground.
We win and promote. They continue to play the 'impale yourself against a mountain'
strategy for offense and the 'stay on low ground unfortified' defensive strat 8-O
We like this game, and bide our time. Next turn another Russian warr comes at us on
the mtn and we promote w/o a scratch. :p

At the turn of the Millenium, we receive the Largest Nation report:
China, Mongols, India, Japan, Russia, Korea.

Meanwhile an archer shows up in the distance. Our promoted guys go against their
low ground regulars, and we win two. It is surely a line of death along these
peaks! We name the bloodiest one "Mt. Kong" and the most defiant, "Mt. Meldor".

IBT - Oh shoot, their spear is bold enough to go after our winner who is red. Alas,
we hold off all three shots and win, promoting! :hammer:
In 2850BC, their archer is seen to be a vet (finally), and despite our spear being in
mtn, the archer wins. (About time luck went their way though). We respond by killing it,
promoting. Russia who only has one other city besides cap will almost give THREE techs
for peace! Let's hold off a turn or so to see what else they throw at us. Now do we
let that rax finish or swap to granary? Tough call, but we swap, knowing that our
biggest need now will be growth, as the war victory will be ours. Two turns later, we
catch the archer in the open and slay him. (Who needs rax? All three warrs are vets now)
We fortify on a hill across river from archer and promote to elite. In 2310BC,
our warriors stand atop the hill overlooking Moscow! We pillage. IBT An archer comes
out, but it's across river, and we win, now redlined.

Now 2230BC, and if they had more attackers, they would attack, as we're as ragged as
weak as any pair of units I've ever seen. So despite being very hurt, we move onto
squares and next turn, pillage. 2110, and still no attackers coming, we pillage another
hill. Moscow is now stripped bare, by two 1 hp warriors, the only military
in our whole nation! :D:

With no more to gain and a counter attack due soon, it's time to demand our peace
terms. We take Warrior Code, the Wheel, and a Russian slave worker for 74g+5gpt.

Finally, in 2070BC - We found Pyongyang. It's 4 steps, not five from Seoul, but it's
on a river, next to a cattle, with three BG. There's a spot 3 steps S/SW on the river
toward Moscow that would fit with this city nicely. Pyongyang would make a natural
and thematic home for the Forbidden Palace one day, albeit rather close to home.

Charis Wang Kong has left his indeliable mark on the history of the North Korean
people, and on the history of Russia for that matter. It is time for the next
Kong to lead, and to help our tiny nation expand!
This map was one turn before the end, showing our 'assault' in progress.

Our next leader should take 20-30 turns, make our first catapult, and make sure his
successor would not be embarassed with war (all the while expanding and exploring
aggressively, of course :p )
Going now to v1.1.5 is highly recommended

Roster... ah yes, it's looking like:
Charis
Speaker
Skyfish
Meldor
JMB
Bam-Bam

Welcome aboard all!! (JMB, if you only have room in schedule for one game and prefer the Communist one,
let me know, otherwise good to have you with us here :p )

As mentioned earlier, the #turns per player turn is not 10 - rather it's "episodic".
Take something in the ballpark of 20-30 turns and do something to leave your mark
in history (whether that's a war or a great era of building, exploring or trading).
Whether focusing on peace and diplomacy or not, know that war may come suddenly
and with force, so do not neglect the military. Has this extra-early war won us
time and space or has it already put us way behind the expansion of other nations?

RBC8 Save File 2070BC

Good luck, Speaker Kong!
Charis

Woot! Great set of turns Charis Kong! Methinks Russia is unlikely to run away with this one...

Glad to see I made the cut! With this and the upcoming Epic, GalCiv may even get a rest for a day or two!

> You know I love following Charis Kong almost as much as I enjoy setting him up. Got it.

:D Well thank you!

That could have gone really ugly, if their warrior attacking cross-river had one it would have been game over - but twas so early I wasn't scared of that. Any other civ I would never have considered attacking the scout, but for Russia, I made an exception that seems to have worked out. In the first Korean game, we likewise had VERY early wars with both Russia and Mongols, but these did not slow them down much in the long run. That's why I moved on Moscow to pillage it back to pristine even though I expected no warriors to make it out alive. The very real downside is that we may have already turned Russia's other nearest neighbor into the game powerhouse.

We still have ahead of us an "Ancient Era Catapult-Focused War" ahead of us by the (odd) variant rules. If it's against Russia, that would be nice, but it may come vs someone else at a time not of our choosing.

Anyway, the 'tone' certainly is set. Let the "Asian Rumble II" proceed! Good luck with expansion and such, Speaker.

Charis

Top Bottom